Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 02-10-2017, 11:26 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Star Trek Discovery seems more like the Expanse or similar space operas and lacks that "star trek"ness. For star trek, I much prefer the Orville over Discovery. But, I'd still watch discovery cos I'm a sucker for a good space opera
ep 3 definitely feels WAY more Expanse like now.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:34 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Can we keep the politics out of this thread please? Renato you wear your heart on your sleeve but your leanings are clearly biased. I want to read about the show not about TRUMP or any other politicians, thanks.
Hi Nik,
Uhhm - the Captain of the Discovery keeps abusing Trump on Twitter, and the entire crew have a kneeling protest against Trump.......and I'm bringing politics into this?

May I suggest that they publicly brought politics into this.... nothing to do with me being biased.

Anyhow, this show is getting dumber by the minute. At the end of the second episode, instead of sending a team of military types to capture the evil Klingon, why the Captain and her First Officer decide to single handedly go on the mission instead. The top two highest ranked on the ship! It's as if Admiral Nimitz decided to fly a fighter against the Jap carriers at the Battle of Midway. Utterly ridculous, or both were utterly incompetent.

Then, in the third episode, everyone is blaming the disgraced former First Officer for the deaths of over 8000 people - in the battle that wouldn't have happened, had her mutinous action succeeded. And not only does she take all the criticism stoically - she seems to agree with them that she is indeed responsible. It makes no sense!

They also seem to be saying that she started the war that killed the over 8000, when the Klingons clearly started shooting first. It makes no sense.

Also, the space battle in the second episode was as dumb as they were in Deep Space Nine, pretending to be like sixteenth century sailing ships shooting cannon balls at each other in space. In the original Star Trek, the Enetrprise's space battles often involved shooting from 50,000 miles away - somewhat more realistic given that space is pretty big.
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited by Renato1; 03-10-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Still having had no chance to watch any of them.

To get at what seems your biggest complaint, why should the cast change what they do on a personal level? I am not aware that the doors of any studio have "Please check your personality at the door" on a sign at the entrance. If they do something that gets far enough up the nose of the company management I am sure they will face the ultimate sanction for it (Getting fired) like anyone else.

As for the article linked previously, not sure how it can be seen as unbiased when the second paragraph (The first being quite short) begins with "Star Jason Isaacs has a Twitter feed full of typically left-wing platitudes like ....." No guessing required as to the political leanings of the author. Being biased in the direction that you happen to lean (No matter which person or which way that lean happens to be) does not make it unbiased.

I suspect that many of those writing thing like “Ah well. I'll never watch this show again. Thanks for ruining it for many of us.” will continue to watch so they can continue to find outrage, just like the regular text messages you hear read out on ABC radio along the lines of "Typical bleeding heart leftie ABC bias" If they hate it so much, find another media outlet.

I will continue to ignore the backroom politics and continue to suspend disbelief, after all, no matter how they pitch it, from hand to hand combat in freefall to throwing artificial black holes at each other, a space battle is a pretty unrealistic thing.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:34 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

I've been an avid trekkie since the mid 1960s. I've enjoyed all the series and movies. This one, though, is as close to garbage as I've ever seen. No outrage here, just disappointment, probably because my expectations of a Start Trek show have been formed over 50 years of reasonable continuity.

IMO, Discovery is dark and the characters are bluddy annoying - without exception! Please note that I thought that even before I heard about the cast's self-righteous and irrelevant political rantings. The dialogue is soooo 21st century! It's certainly not the language we've come to expect from Star Trek characters set in the 23/24th century where the way they spoke helped drive the feeling of a, more or less, utopian federation. So, the utopian feel of star trek is gone. There is no humour, just abrasive characters, death and destruction. There's a woman called Michael - seriously?! ... blatant and uncessarary virtue signalling I reckon. Moreover, I think the strong undertones of PC-ness are jarring and awkward as opposed to all previous series where the social justice elements were blended well and made complete sense.

In any case I've watched all 3 of the first episodes and I came out feeling, well, down. Bottom line is that's not how I want to experience Star Trek!!!!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:58 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
I've been an avid trekkie since the mid 1960s. I've enjoyed all the series and movies. This one, though, is as close to garbage as I've ever seen. No outrage here, just disappointment, probably because my expectations of a Start Trek show have been formed over 50 years of reasonable continuity.

IMO, Discovery is dark and the characters are bluddy annoying - without exception! Please note that I thought that even before I heard about the cast's self-righteous and irrelevant political rantings. The dialogue is soooo 21st century! It's certainly not the language we've come to expect from Star Trek characters set in the 23/24th century where the way they spoke helped drive the feeling of a, more or less, utopian federation. So, the utopian feel of star trek is gone. There is no humour, just abrasive characters, death and destruction. There's a woman called Michael - seriously?! ... blatant and uncessarary virtue signalling I reckon. Moreover, I think the strong undertones of PC-ness are jarring and awkward as opposed to all previous series where the social justice elements were blended well and made complete sense.

In any case I've watched all 3 of the first episodes and I came out feeling, well, down. Bottom line is that's not how I want to experience Star Trek!!!!
Bit of nostalgia there Marcus? I too am an avid trekkie. Did you enjoy the last three movies? The trend was already set for grittier story lines. I agree that the old school star trek themes and values are getting watered down in the new instalment.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:24 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Still without the benefit of having had time to see it yet (And so I can not compare it to the three most recent movies for the direction the story lines are headed)

But,

Quote:
I think the strong undertones of PC-ness are jarring and awkward as opposed to all previous series where the social justice elements were blended well and made complete sense.
I recently started re watching old STNG episodes and I would not say that things blended or made much sense in the early ones. All of the various series I have watched (I am too young to have watched the original series) have been pretty stilted at the start.

As to
Quote:
Please note that I thought that even before I heard about the cast's self-righteous and irrelevant political rantings
I hold that the pertinent word is "Irrelevent" If I stopped consuming content from people I disagree with politically I would read and watch a lot less.

Anyway, regardless of if you or I agree with them or disagree, who are we to say that they should not have the right to express an opinion? Otherwise it is Leunig style "I disagree with what you have say and I will defend to your death my right to stop you saying it"
Old 03-10-2017, 12:42 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Bit of nostalgia there Marcus? I too am an avid trekkie. Did you enjoy the last three movies? The trend was already set for grittier story lines. I agree that the old school star trek themes and values are getting watered down in the new instalment.
I guess I can't help a bit of nostalgia but I've appreciated how the brand has evolved. The latest movies are okay IMO. They're different for sure, and the parallel timeline needed some getting used to but they absolutely nailed the characters, their interactions and humour (very similar to the original series) and they did justice to the look & feel of a Star Trek show (if you ignore some of the crass, overboard fight scenes).
Old 03-10-2017, 12:43 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Star Trek Discovery seems more like the Expanse or similar space operas and lacks that "star trek"ness. For star trek, I much prefer the Orville over Discovery. But, I'd still watch discovery cos I'm a sucker for a good space opera
I grit my teeth through the first season of Expanse but season 2 was much improved and I'm looking forward to season 3.

On another note, I've had to reinstate an ignore list as I couldn't tolerate the grumpy old men and especially the term "virtue signalling": don't dis' my star trek . The thread looks much more pleasant now.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

I'm loving Discovery, and having watched every episode of every ST series and every movie - I welcome the production values, new characters, new Klingons & new thinking.

I recall early eps of TOS, STNG, Voyager, DS9 & Enterprise were pretty average too! (eg: Encounter at Farpoint - cringeworthy even now) but without that early character development we would never have had the following classics - "All Good Things, Best of Both Worlds, By the Pale Moonlight, Little Green Men, Scorpion, Yesterday's Enterprise, City on the Edge of Forever, First Contact and The Wrath of Khan".

So sit back, enjoy a cup of Earl Grey (Hot) and see how it goes.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:29 PM
glend (Glen)

Episode 4

The writers of Discovery have proven once again that there is little new in sci-fi, by borrowing Frank Herbert's concept of the Guild Navigator. In this incarnation Spores replace Spice. Even the use of a containment, is not so different from the illustrations in Dune. Still it is worth watching, until Expanse Season 3 is released.
Casstony how do you feel about Dark Matter? It borrows a few ideas as well and has mulitple seasons now.

I can do without the "After Trek" episodes.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:54 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Bring back 7of 9
AL
Old 09-10-2017, 09:27 PM
casstony

Hi Glen, we watched an episode or two of Dark Matter a while back and it didn't grab me. Discovery has some flaws but still worth watching.

Some other SciFi shows I've enjoyed include BSG, Caprica, Babylon 5, Red Dwarf, Westworld, Stranger Things and my possible all time favourite, Firefly.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:06 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Hi Glen, we watched an episode or two of Dark Matter a while back and it didn't grab me. Discovery has some flaws but still worth watching.

Some other SciFi shows I've enjoyed include BSG, Caprica, Babylon 5, Red Dwarf, Westworld, Stranger Things and my possible all time favourite, Firefly.
Dark Matter is a series that seems terrible as first but as the story line and characters develop it gets better. By season 2 its much better. The Android is the best character.

I have all rhe Firefly episodes on DVD and they still stand up just fine, despite having almost no tech in them. I keep seeing the Parliamentary Operative from Serenity in all sorts of things, and he still acts in that same manner.

Al, Seven of Nine, turned into a lawyer i believe - the ulimate Borg assimilation, or perhaps the lawyers assimiliated the Borg.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:15 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

wow
Old 09-10-2017, 11:29 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan meehan View Post
wow
Just for you Al

http://www.startrek.com/article/seve...bout-jeri-ryan

I think ahe played a lawyer in some later series, hence the lawyer reference.
I found it funny that she keeps a regenetation alcove at her home.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:07 AM
alan meehan (Alan)

Thanks Glen I must admit she looks scarry as a cyborg
AL
Old 10-10-2017, 10:10 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Dark Matter is a series that seems terrible as first but as the story line and characters develop it gets better. By season 2 its much better. The Android is the best character.
That's reminiscent of Next Gen so I'll take another look at Dark Matter. The android was good from the start.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

If you guys haven't seen it already, you should watch The Orville....
Old 10-10-2017, 04:35 PM
casstony

I watched the first 2 episodes of The Orville, but apart from a few funny moments it's not to my taste.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:01 PM
simon_rl (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
I'm loving Discovery, and having watched every episode of every ST series and every movie - I welcome the production values, new characters, new Klingons & new thinking.

I recall early eps of TOS, STNG, Voyager, DS9 & Enterprise were pretty average too! (eg: Encounter at Farpoint - cringeworthy even now) but without that early character development we would never have had the following classics - "All Good Things, Best of Both Worlds, By the Pale Moonlight, Little Green Men, Scorpion, Yesterday's Enterprise, City on the Edge of Forever, First Contact and The Wrath of Khan".

So sit back, enjoy a cup of Earl Grey (Hot) and see how it goes.
Me too Andy, I have always been a huge Sci-fi fan, but Star Trek never grabbed me, until Discovery. Like Tony said it has more of a feel like "The Expanse", which I am a big fan of as well.