Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2017, 09:54 AM
GC - South Aus

HELP: Safely Storing & Using Gear in Cold & Hot Climates (ACT)?

G'day All

Well I have been an observer for a while. But, I have recently moved to Canberra and I am new to observing and storing gear in the new climate I find myself.

Although in my younger years 7-13 living in Yorkshire, England it was probably similar (I.e. Winter). But at that age with my little 60mm Tasco refractor and 130mm Tasco Newtonian I probably didn't worry about it as much!

It is for this reason I am seeking help and advice from experienced astronomers, in particular those in the ACT.

SITUATION:
I have recently acquired a medium (120mm) and smallish (80mm) refractor, I also have my old 12.5" DK OTA. I have moved to a smaller home and have limited space, the wife is not keen at looking at the items in the main living areas. I have a double garage with large rolling door, which is where I am thinking of storing my equipment. This garage is on the west side of the home which does not get any direct sunlight until about mid/late afternoon. It is pretty cold in there, especially in winter. I am not sure if it is also a little damp, or if it's just the cold with my paranoid mind playing tricks on me! I have a storage box for the 80mm refractor, but not for the 120mm (I am looking for one) or the DK (too big and heavy).

QUESTIONS:
Is this going to be safe to place to store my new scopes?
Should (with exception of DK) store all my scopes in cases/boxes?

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:
Any observing tips/techniques for stopping dew in the ACT?

I have moved from SA where I didn't seem to have these issues or I didn't worry about them too much. I had a dedicated storage room/office external to main house which was easy to control and I never seemed to notice issues. Maybe I am being a little paranoid being in a new and unfamiliar observing climate/location.

Thoughts/advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Gav

Last edited by GC - South Aus; 02-09-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Hoges (John)

I'm just out of Ballarat, so a roughly similar climate to you. I have stored my scopes in my observatory in the paddock which is a pretty rough timber construction which keeps the rain off but not the wind or critters out. Recently I noticed a spot of fungus beginning on my 100mm ed refractor - easily cleaned off but it was a timely warning. I still leave my 150mm F8 out in the observatory (ED's are now stored in the house) but I built a box for it which houses the scope and a a tub of 'damp rid' sitting next to it. The damp rid seems to be doing a good job of keeping everything dry throughout the winter and also serves to absorb any moisture after a viewing session if the scope is put away not quite dry. When it is a little damp, I have a piece of material that I use in place of the lens cap - moisture can still get out and be absorbed but the spiders can't get in. And I have had spiders get in through the ED's focusser in the past and make a web inside the tube. Rats and mice, spiders and damp - I've found this is what I have had to be most careful with outside over the last 20 years. So yep, thumbs up to the boxes!

Before I noticed the fungus on the lens, the ED 100 lived on the mount under a sheet and plastic bag as a cover - also a good place for a small bat to crawl into as it turned out.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:47 AM
GC - South Aus

Thanks Hoges

Thanks John (Hoges)

I have now found a place to put the smaller OTAs indoors, but out of sight.

Still gets pretty cold though, but if I keep them in cases should hopefully be ok.

I bought a load of those dehumidifier boxes from the reject shop, about $2.50ea to hopefully combat any damp or water in the air.

The old giant and heavy AO DK is going to have to stay in the garage with the mounts!

Now on the look out for an ed120 case!

Need to also have a think about combating dew whilst outside observing/imaging!

Cheers

Gav
Old 03-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Hoges (John)

I made up a box for the 150mm F8 out of 12mm particle board and 70x45 pine. Knowing how particle board turns into breakfast serial if it gets damp, lots of waterproof estapol was applied! Lined it with 1" thick foam. Turned out to be pretty darn heavy. The only thing I'll have to keep an eye out for is ants getting into it. Did I mention ants? I seem to have billions of the little buggers.

Dew is a problem I haven't solved. A few months ago we had several superb nights in a row but after an hour or so, everything was starting to get pretty wet. While the 12v hair dryer can keep the lens clear, it doesn't help the body of the scope/eyepieces/ipad/me & gear from getting soaked.
I just resigned myself to the fact it wouldn't be a long session and to quit when I thought appropriate. Being a roll off roof in two parts, I can position the roofs to offer some protection. If the scope got really wet, I just left it on the mount under a sheet to dry off over the next day before I put it back in the box.

The other alternative to a case could be some of those long sports bags or a soft keyboard case? I sewed up a couple of simple bags for my 100/80mm scopes with enough room for plenty of padding - I think I used an old mattress protector wrapped around the scopes.