Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.
Old 17-04-2017, 03:57 PM
Morgenstern (Alex)

Good observation sites near Geelong, VIC

Hello guys,

I live in Lara, VIC and was wondering if anyone knows any good dark observation sites in Geelong area. I usually go to a site next to Anakie but it's not very dark given Melbourne and Lara/Geelong light pollution domes.
I'm looking for a place <= 50-60min drive from Lara.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 17-04-2017, 04:20 PM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Hi Alex,
There is nothing that I would call Dark around Geelong.
A few of us observe out at Snake Valley which is more like an 1 1/4 hours travelling but you'll find far better skies and we do have quite reasonable facilities.
Contact Ken and he'll give you all the details. You'll find all the contact details in the link.

http://snakevalleyobservatory.weebly.com/
Old 17-04-2017, 07:16 PM
Morgenstern (Alex)

Hi John,
Thanks for suggestion. I've noticed quite a few people go there for observations/star parties. I feel I should check it out too on a weekend, just don't have enough motivation to go that far on a weekday as I usually observe only for a few hours per night.
How noticeable is light pollution coming from Ballarat there?
Old 17-04-2017, 09:03 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Hello guys,

I live in Lara, VIC and was wondering if anyone knows any good dark observation sites in Geelong area. I usually go to a site next to Anakie but it's not very dark given Melbourne and Lara/Geelong light pollution domes.
I'm looking for a place <= 50-60min drive from Lara.

Cheers,
Alex
Try this map >>>>

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#...ayers=B0TFFFFF

1. Close Dialog box
2. Turn on the extended toolbar at top LHS
3. Select crosshairs from extended toolbar and click on an area of interest on the map, to report radiance information, a measure of darkness.
4. Open Overlay legend for Radiance legend on RHS. The black areas (ie greyed areas are the darkest <0.25 x10^-9 W/m^2 *sr)
5. Knock yourself out

Based on what I can see there and your location i would try The You Yangs Regional Park (10 km) and The Brisbane ranges National Park (30km). Areas around Anakie also show as very dark.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 17-04-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 19-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Morgenstern (Alex)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
I believe this map doesn't show the effect of light pollution produced by distant towns/cities as it only shows the radiance of a particular place. A map I usually look at is http://djlorenz.github.io/astronomy/...rlay/dark.html. It's 10 years old but you can still use it as a general guidance.

What I wanted to ask is if anyone knows any dark sky site that is fairly convenient to use for observations. For example you don't want to set up your telescope in the middle of a pasture or on uneven surface, high grass etc.

Thanks for your response anyway. I was considering Brisbane ranges park too but couldn't find a spot with open horizon.

Last edited by Morgenstern; 20-04-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 19-04-2017, 07:19 PM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Hi John,
Thanks for suggestion. I've noticed quite a few people go there for observations/star parties. I feel I should check it out too on a weekend, just don't have enough motivation to go that far on a weekday as I usually observe only for a few hours per night.
How noticeable is light pollution coming from Ballarat there?
There is some LP from Ballarat but it really isn't a problem. Those of us that do observe there tend to go on either a Friday or Saturday or both, you can stay there if you wish.
Just contact Ken via the details on the web site.

I won't be there this weekend or the following as I'll be in Coonabarabran for the week