Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-03-2019, 01:42 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

3 star alignment possible with CPC 1100 Deluxe?

Hi all,

I have a CPC 1100 Deluxe HD mount. I am happy with it, except for one thing.

Other Nexstar models, such as the 8SE, have a 3 star alignment option. Yet my CPC, despite also using a Nexstar + handset, only allows for a 2 star alignment at most.

Is there some way of getting/installing a 3 star alignment option onto my CPC?

I've seen that I can do a "re-alignment" procedure with the CPC. Could this act as a defacto 3 star alignment?

I am not seeking to improve pointing accuracy as such. Rather, achieve somthing like the Cone compensation that Synscan does when doing the 3 star alignment to eliminate any misalignment between scope and mount. Yes this improves pointing accuracy but also enhances tracking. The two star alignment in the CPC is no more accurate than the two star alignment with my NEQ6, but the 3 star alignment of Synscan is outstanding and tracking accuracy also improves.

There is the "precise goto" option, but it is not the same thing as what a three star alignment achieves. Right royal PITA the Precise Goto is as well. Not my favourite function at all.

Thanks for looking,

Alex.

Last edited by mental4astro; 22-03-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 22-03-2019, 03:37 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Alex,
Could it be the firmware in the hand controller??
Or do the other models have a different motor/ control interface?
No mention of 3 star alignment capability??
https://www.nexstarsite.com/AlignmentFAQ.htm

Last edited by Merlin66; 22-03-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 22-03-2019, 06:30 PM
rrussell1962

Alex, I have a Nexstar 8SE. The three star alignment is used only in the alignment option where you select three bright stars (I think it also works with other objects) without needing to know what they are. The only function of the third object selected is as an internal check that the program has correctly "guessed" what the other two are by checking for three bright objects whose angular separations match where the mount has slewed. I am pretty sure there is no mount modelling involved. I do find though that realigning can improve the alignment accuracy. I don't know why though! My Vixen Skysensor picks the best three alignment points when subsequent alignment points are added. I have no idea if the Nexstar or CPC does the same when alignment points are replaced.

Last edited by rrussell1962; 22-03-2019 at 11:44 PM.