Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 13-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Goschencat (Rex)
Time Traveller

A great idea. I need some soon for a new camera setup.
So "Just Do It"
Old 13-06-2018, 10:10 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
That’s related to two things - the choice of materials and the surface finish at microscopic level. Some metals bind badly to the same metal (stainless to stainless, or aluminium to aluminium). The other trick is to apply a trace of lubricant.
Might have to try that. Which kind of lubricant is best, do you think? Machine oil? Silicone based stuff like from bike chains? Vaseline? KY? :-P
Old 13-06-2018, 11:48 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrock View Post
Joshua,

You probably already know this, BUT........purchase wisely!!! You are considering offering bespoke precision "parts", consequently, you will need to have absolute confidence in the capabilities/accuracy of your equipment, otherwise you could be setting yourself up for both criticism and failure.

All the best.

Thanks Ausrock, I will certainly do my research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
There's also something about quality parts - I don't know what it is, but some things when you assemble them they almost screw themselves together the threads are that buttery smooth. Other things rattle, squeal and protest the whole way, even though the threads are correct. I don't know what it is that gives it that lovely smoothness but if you can capture that I think it will go a long way towards building a reputation for quality.

I know exactly what you mean... thanks for writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goschencat View Post
A great idea. I need some soon for a new camera setup.
So "Just Do It"

Awesome
Old 01-11-2018, 12:37 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

A few months back, I asked for expressions of interest about who would consider purchasing custom adapters/parts from me if I made them, the responses I received were promising. So I will now offer this service as of now, and to the best of my ability! If you need adapters, with threads or bolt up flanges, or other parts, shoot an email to me at, scastrophotography@outlook.com or give me a call on 0428650851 and we will see what we can do.
Suggestions are welcome, for example, what are your thoughts on making variable threaded extension tubes of different diameters for when getting the that spacing right is critical...

Cheers,
Joshua Bunn
Old 01-11-2018, 06:22 AM
JA

Quote:
Might have to try that. Which kind of lubricant is best, do you think? Machine oil? Silicone based stuff like from bike chains? Vaseline? KY? :-P
Hi M,
There are many, but mostly grease consistencies so that the stay in place. They are referred to as anti-seize or anti-galling lubricants if searching for them. Try the loctite brand (not the glue ). We used to Silverplate stainless steel thread inserts to reduce galling.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=a...w=1024&bih=671

Best
JA
Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 AM
RyanJones

As far as the warranty is concerned, I'd make sure that you're not being taken for a ride if the design is not correct. Warrant your workmanship by all means but be careful that is all you are warranting and the materials obviously. If it is made to the specs requested then it's not your responsibility for poor design.

Quote:
There's also something about quality parts - I don't know what it is, but some things when you assemble them they almost screw themselves together the threads are that buttery smooth. Other things rattle, squeal and protest the whole way, even though the threads are correct. I don't know what it is that gives it that lovely smoothness but if you can capture that I think it will go a long way towards building a reputation for quality.
One of the big differences in quality v's cheap machining is the finish of threads. Once cut threads work fine but are bitey and noisy if you run a second cut to remove the tip of the thread and run a cutting compound through the thread after it has been cut 2 or 3 times, it effectively sands the threads smooth giving a much better and smoother result. Also keep the material cold while cutting. If it gets hot, it expands and then when it cools it becomes tight and becomes hard to use.

Good luck with it. Sounds like you're on to a good thing
Old 03-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post

Good luck with it. Sounds like you're on to a good thing

Thanks Ryan.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Josh,

You certainly have my support for this endeavor of yours! One thing that has really frustrated me about dealing with the well known person in the USA is that he is very reluctant to give any help whatsoever in figuring out whether something will work or not. For example, it might be very difficult to see how he arrived at a back space measurement particularly when the part ends in a dovetail. In all of my dealings with him he just won't resolve a question like that. From a liability standpoint I can understand that position but it can be maddeningly frustrating because as has been pointed out mistakes are very costly. For sure you are going to receive many questions especially about camera spacing of flatteners and reducers. I think you will need to proceed cautiously. Hopefully you can provide some advice without taking on liability. That will be the trick. Also, how will you handle requests to mate something with a perhaps well known part that you don't have on hand? It seems you will somehow need to gather together a rather massive data base. In the beginning I suppose you can pick and choose your projects and simply inform customers that they had best generate the specifications themselves for you to follow.

Good luck!!
Peter
Old 07-11-2018, 04:01 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Hi Josh,

You certainly have my support for this endeavor of yours! One thing that has really frustrated me about dealing with the well known person in the USA is that he is very reluctant to give any help whatsoever in figuring out whether something will work or not. For example, it might be very difficult to see how he arrived at a back space measurement particularly when the part ends in a dovetail. In all of my dealings with him he just won't resolve a question like that. From a liability standpoint I can understand that position but it can be maddeningly frustrating because as has been pointed out mistakes are very costly. For sure you are going to receive many questions especially about camera spacing of flatteners and reducers. I think you will need to proceed cautiously. Hopefully you can provide some advice without taking on liability. That will be the trick. Also, how will you handle requests to mate something with a perhaps well known part that you don't have on hand? It seems you will somehow need to gather together a rather massive data base. In the beginning I suppose you can pick and choose your projects and simply inform customers that they had best generate the specifications themselves for you to follow.

Good luck!!
Peter
If exact measurements and specifications are given then there is no room for error. If any mistake is made and it doesn't conform to the specs given then the adapter should be remade at the supplier's cost. If the adaptor was made to specs but for some reason doesn't fit the purpose then it's the user's problem.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:13 PM
netwolf

Hey this a great idea we need more local stuff like this. I recall the pain getting an adapter for my Pentax refractor. For some reason Japanese people don’t like diagonals... everything is designed straight through.
One other thing to consider is with a bit of marketing once you establish yourself you could be exporting in the other direction given the dollar exchange at present.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:42 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Hi Josh,

Good luck!!
Peter
Thank you very much Peter!
I realise I'm going to be asked questions and most likely be asked of my opinion, some of which has already happened, which is great.
You raise some good points Peter.
As for matching parts, I may request a part be sent to me from the customer (I have no issues paying the postage there), so I can match it. Thread sizes are made to a specification, and as long as I follow them, the parts should fit. Having said that, I like to check the part fits before sending it off. So yes, I am building a "library" of adapters, threads etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Hey this a great idea we need more local stuff like this. I recall the pain getting an adapter for my Pentax refractor. For some reason Japanese people don’t like diagonals... everything is designed straight through.
One other thing to consider is with a bit of marketing once you establish yourself you could be exporting in the other direction given the dollar exchange at present.

Yeah, I thought there could be a market there, thanks for your input Netwolf!
Old 04-01-2019, 12:27 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Hi all, I am still doing these custom adapters, so if you need something making, got in contact with me and we can go from there

I've had 5 customers with more wanting work done, so I am happy with the start and great full for the support from other IceInSpace members

Cheer, Joshua
Old 04-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Chris85 (Chris)

I had a new part made to connect my Riccardi reducer to Feathertouch and a large flange sent to get modified. Josh was happy to take my calls and questions to work out the best solution for what I was trying to achieve. Very happy with the results and I advise anyone looking for custom adapters to consider Joshua.
Cheers
Old 04-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Thankyou for the feedback Chris, I appreciate it. It has been a pleasure.
Old 15-01-2019, 07:19 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi All

Just thought I'd let you know I have just recieved a custom part from Joshua.

He was very helpful when discussing the part, and it looks good and fits nicely.

Now I just have to pull my finger out and use it!

Not cheap, but, that's what good custom work is.

Philip
Old 21-01-2019, 09:38 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Recommended

I employed Joshua to make me an adapter and I'm very happy with it. Fits perfectly and is neatly finished. The equivalent adapter from PP would have cost twice as much. Recommended.
Old 21-01-2019, 09:41 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Thankyou Jason, it was a pleasure dealing with you.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:05 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Pillar extension DM4 mount to surveyors tripod

Joshua has just made me this custom pillar that had its challenges to make it right for my surveyors tripod and DM4 head and he absolutely nailed it ,Measurements perfect to the mm made from aluminium with a quality rubber coating where it connects to the mount and the tripod and just feels quality,

Many thanks Joshua
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1987.JPG)
155.7 KB114 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1989.JPG)
98.9 KB98 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1988.JPG)
124.4 KB118 views
Old 04-02-2019, 05:21 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
Joshua has just made me this custom pillar that had its challenges to make it right for my surveyors tripod and DM4 head and he absolutely nailed it ,Measurements perfect to the mm made from aluminium with a quality rubber coating where it connects to the mount and the tripod and just feels quality,

Many thanks Joshua

Looks Good Andrew .... Well Done Josh

Old 04-02-2019, 08:55 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Mine is in the post!