Old 25-03-2012, 07:55 AM
orestis

Obs Report 24/3/12

hi Everyone,

It has been ages since I have done any observing because of school work and I really should have been doing my assignments this night but I could resist especially because I read there was a supernova in M95.

The Transperancy was quite good being able to see the tarantula neb with the naked eye I'd say 4/5 however the seeing was atrocious with Mars boiling quite severely so it was about 2/5 at most.

Mars-I was looking forward to vieing mars as I hadn't seen mars for more than a year.I was dissapointed at the view but it was still nice to be able to make out the polar caps my most favourite feature of mars.The rest of the planet had some irregular smudges but no more detail could be picked out.

After viewing mars I decided to see which of my favourte 3 nebulas my OIII filter would have the most effect on.On M42(Orion) it did make it a little more crisp but not a significant change.On Eta carinae It had a dramatic difference defining the nebula a lot more than on M42, it looked awesome especially around the keyhole.I then moved my telescope to the mighty Tarantula and all I have to say iswow .The beauty of it is indescribable.The massive loops of nebulosity and stars sweeping all over the place and the very bright concetrated centre flaring.It was a sight to behold.The Tarantula is now my most favourite nebula,simply stunning.I see why Paddy likes the LMC,It is an amazing Sattelite galaxy.

Ngc 5189 -This is a fascinating Pn in Musca and I decided to try the OIII on it and It did bring out the detail a little more.The view in the telescope closely resembles photographs of this object just without colour.The main structure of the nebula is a central bar orientated SW-NE and on the SW end there is a bright star imbeded.On the NE end there is a bright circular knot of nebulosity.the nebula has faint extensions either side of the bar in a roughly square shape around the bar and it looks a bit mottled in some parts.Most of the time we like to see beatiful symmetry and a nice cirular Pn but this Pn is awesome becuase of its irregularites and strange structure,Its quite fun to pick out where the brighter and fainter spots are within the nebulosity.Great Pn.

I now decided to try and find the supernova in M95 but to no avail,I think maybe the seeing wasn't up to it,or its too faint.However this was my first time viewing the triplet of M95, M96 and M105 which a nice grouping of galaxies.M95 was the brightest then M96 then M105 which quite faint compared to the other 2.

Saturn was rising higher and I decided to take a look but the seeing was just too bad to get any fine deatil but it was nice to see the ringed planet again.

Thanks for reading
Orestis
PS- Its a great feeling to be under the stars again.
Some how I feel quite nostalgic when I haven't seen the milky way for quite a while.
Old 27-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

A very nice read Orestis. Eta C, NGC 2070 and 5189 - such beautiful and intriguing objects. All are a bit hard to move on from.

I suppose a lot of us are looking forward to good seeing and transparency happening on the same dark night!

Glad you gave the homework a bit of a miss.