ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2014, 11:46 PM
StutzJr

DIY Binocular Mount - first attempt

Howdy folks,

I was recently talking to one of the members at the Geelong Astro. Society about a basic mount for my new 11x70 binoculars. I showed him a few weeks ago how flimsy they were on my camera tripod. Last Friday he bought along his setup which is basically a survey tripod with a counterweighted boom and a trigger activated ball head - I thought it was simple enough and extremely effective. I will link some pictures of his setup below.
orig-01, orig-02, orig-03
I am keen to try and replicate this setup myself, and to that end I was able to pick up a similar survey tripod ("flat head" style) from the local branch of Alltools for about $99. Since I didn't just happen to have a Losmandy dovetail + hinge bracket nor Manfroto trigger head lying around handy, I scrounged about some of my junk to see what I could use. I did happen to have an old galvanised TV antenna pole to use as the boom, and as per http://hmonghot.com/Q0J2Y09PWjhXYmsz, I was able to use a $3 castor wheel from Bunnings (with a few extra washers) as a frugal boom hinge. In place of the trigger head, I was able to pick up a Joby ballhead fitting from Ted's Cameras for about $30. Anyway here's a few pictures of what I was able to quickly knock together as a basic proof of concept. Clearly it still needs some work before it's ready to use but already I can see a vast improvement over using a simple camera tripod.
copy-01, copy-02, copy-03
At this point I can see the trigger head would be a nice convenience feature but not essential. A quick release fitting there is super handy to avoid mishaps when setting the counterweights at the other end of the boom. What clearly is essential is a sturdy mounting of the hinge at the base of the boom to the head of the tripod, and the less play in that hinge the better
FYI I have discovered in the world of AV buffs, a parallelogram mount is known as a "camera jib" or "jib crane", and something like this would be something I'd aspire toward in a future incarnation of this mount.

Last edited by StutzJr; 06-03-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:18 AM
StutzJr

Well after improving the mounting of the base hinge to the tripod head the only real play is in the hinge bolt itself, but not enough to be an issue it turns out.
After clamping a paver brick to the bottom of the boom as a counterweight it was almost balanced with the binoculars attached. I might drill a few extra pivot holes along the boom to find an optimal position.
I gave the mount a spin tonight and I was impressed. I wasn't expecting much, but it worked surprisingly well for a first attempt. I had some initial issues attaching the ball head tight enough to the boom so that it wouldn't come loose until I tightened the clamp on the U-bolt holding the threaded rod. The mount enabled me to find/set a position to view the sky in any direction without having to hold the binoculars steady. I was even able to set it up to view the zenith with my 20x50 refractor telescope with no major issues (I really need a better chair!).
Sure there's plenty of room for improvement, but I can happily say that it is usable right now, and any fixes from here on will be a bonus! Additionally, I can work on said improvements in my own time and have a better idea of what I might need.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:13 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Looks good- I like the idea of the upside-down Bunnings castor for the pivot: I would never have found that on the video link (he lost me on "OK frugal filmmakers..."): one picture is worth a 1000 minutes of video!

Looks nice and easy once balanced- so well done.

- Dean
Old 09-03-2014, 06:59 PM
StutzJr

Thanks Dean, it does the job ok but I'm already looking to get some nylon bushings to act as bearings on the pivot which should remove most of the play and reduce sideways wobble when moving. As it is I just crammed as many washers as would fit! Next step after that will be to get a better counterweight plus a sliding trim along the boom..