Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:30 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Polarex and Unitron Refractors of Yesteryear

Hi everyone,

I read with interest a number of threads from earlier last year regarding Unitron telescopes. I confess to being hooked on these superb telescopes when, as a teenager, I walked into the Amateur Telescope Supply Company (now Astro Optical Supplies) at Crows Nest in the mid 1960's. Since then I have collected a number of these telescopes and accessories from the 2" to 6" models. I think I must have around 15 in total which are in average to excellent condition.

These scopes were originally sold by Esdailes in Glebe under the Polarex brand. Unitrons were sold in the USA from about 1952 till only recently. Here in Australia, Unitrons were sold by Astro Optical from the mid 1960's until the mid to late 1980's. In fact, Polarex and Unitron are the same scopes. They were always an expensive telescope here and overseas and you rarely see them at meets or for sale.

I could waffle on about these great scopes however a few pics should give some indication of their fine workmanship. The 4" Polarex scope in my TV room is undergoing restoration. It is an early 1960's pier mounted, weight driven clock drive, photo equatorial model. It was in rather poor condition cosmetically speaking when I first bought it a few years ago however it is coming along nicely. The old Doctor who owned it must have liked grey as he painted over the beautiful white baked enamel. He was probably in the Navy at some stage in his life perhaps. Actually, nitro-cellulose lacquer thinners does a good job of getting it off, albeit slowly, and doesn't harm the white paint underneath.

The 4" model shown in the driveway is not mine (a chap in the US owns this one). This is what mine will look like after restoration hopefully. The pic of the 2.4" and is one of my favourites. The 4" and 6" magazine clips gives you some idea of the size of these scopes. The red and blue brochures hail from 1958.

Please contact me if you would like to know anything about these fine scopes. I am always after these scopes including accessories or brochures.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Polarex Unitron 4 inch Refractor.jpg)
143.1 KB804 views
Click for full-size image (4 inch Unitron Brochure 1958.jpg)
127.4 KB672 views
Click for full-size image (Unitron 4 and 6 inch  - wow.jpg)
89.5 KB711 views
Click for full-size image (Unitron 2.4 inch - 1.jpg)
132.6 KB773 views
Click for full-size image (Unitron 166 - 1.jpg)
89.3 KB800 views
Click for full-size image (Polarex 4inch  - 2.jpg)
128.7 KB709 views
Click for full-size image (6 inch Unitron Brochure - 1.jpg)
135.8 KB622 views

Last edited by UniPol; 11-07-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:36 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

Great collection there Wouldn't mind an Unitron myself
Old 10-07-2006, 07:42 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Wow, they are beautiful looking pieces of functional art. I can see why you are hooked on them. If the view through them is in the same ball park as their looks, they must be great planetary scope.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:53 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

You're right Paul, apart from being things of mechanical beauty they are great planetary performers particularly if you use the current blend of eyepieces which are superior to the original supplied 0.965" Kellners, Symmetrical Achromats, Ramsdens and Orthoscopics. At f15 (f/16 for the 3" model) they perform well visually but are too slow to take any deep sky images. They have great resolving power and are also ideal for looking at doubles. Cheers, Steve.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I know a fellow who owns a couple of unitrons on alt-az mounts. Lovely scopes they are and these days they sure dont make em like they used to.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:31 AM
astroboy

Have argree there fine scopes , I hope to get to look through a guests Unitron 4" alt az when he visits in a couple of weeks.
The only one I own is the old 80mm spotter with the turret for 4 eyepices excellent optics though , these days they would probably call it semi apo.

Zane
Old 11-07-2006, 09:17 AM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Hi Steve, to IIS.
It's good to have another Unitron/Polarex lover in the forum.
I used to live in Artarmon and make regular visits as a young teenager to astro-optical in the late 60's early 70's.
I bought a Unitron 114 in 1970, I still have it though I converted it to 1 1/4".The views through it are still great.
Back in 2000, I came across a Polarex 4" alt az. It needed a bit of TLC, but after a few weeks of work it looked (and still is) brand new.
It took over as my main workhorse from my 2.4".
Earlier this year I succumed to Aperture fever and bought a Meade Lightbridge 12".
I don't use the refractors much any more, but they still take pride in my house as works of art.
Sorry Zane, the refractor will not be coming down just the 12" LB. Cheers, John.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut
It's good to have another Unitron/Polarex lover in the forum.
I used to live in Artarmon and make regular visits as a young teenager to astro-optical in the late 60's early 70's.
I bought a Unitron 114 in 1970, I still have it though I converted it to 1 1/4".The views through it are still great.
Back in 2000, I came across a Polarex 4" alt az. It needed a bit of TLC, but after a few weeks of work it looked (and still is) brand new.
Hi John

Similarly I grew up in Artarmon and used to visit Amateur Astronomers Supply Co at Crows Nest in the early 70's. When I worked there from 1984-1988 I bought a second hand Polarex 4" Altaz . Came in two big wooden cases. I sold it in 1989 for $600 I think. Wish I had kept it as a historical peice

Mark
Old 11-07-2006, 10:16 AM
astronut (John)

Mark, You should've kept it, I've seen these scopes in original condition sell for $6000-$7000US recently. I won't sell mine though.
Like anything that has been beautifully crafted, it's great just to look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Suchting
Hi John

Similarly I grew up in Artarmon and used to visit Amateur Astronomers Supply Co at Crows Nest in the early 70's. When I worked there from 1984-1988 I bought a second hand Polarex 4" Altaz . Came in two big wooden cases. I sold it in 1989 for $600 I think. Wish I had kept it as a historical peice

Mark
Old 11-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Satchmo

Quote:
Mark, You should've kept it, I've seen these scopes in original condition sell for $6000-$7000US recently. I won't sell mine though.
Like anything that has been beautifully crafted, it's great just to look at it.
6-7K USD ??? Darn ... Well at the time I had just purhased a Vixen 80mm Flourite refractor and the false colour on Venus and the Moon with the 4" , just didn't wear with me anymore after witnessing colour free images in the Flourite . The 4" was a fine piece of engineering though with its big cast fork.

Mark
Old 11-07-2006, 11:10 AM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

I'm glad my posting has stirred up some interest in these fine scopes. Seems like only yesterday (1969) I bought my first Unitron from Amateur Astronomers Supply Co. in Crows Nest. Eric Witcombe was the original proprietor if some of you oldies remember, a very knowledgeable chap. I was only speaking to him last year, he must be well in his 80's now. He was more interested in talking about golf than astronomy from memory.

I like to display my Polarex/Unitron telescopes in the house, my wife being very understanding of course. Any corner of the house will do, it would be a shame to keep them in their boxes. One of the reasons these scopes have survived well to this day is due to the fact that the original boxes or cabinets, if you will, were very well made and up to the task of storing and transporting them safely. If they are to be stored away, I usually take out the optics and keep them away from heat, dust and moisture (the wine cellar is best).

I have added a couple of more pics to the original posting and if anyone would like to see more let me know.

Cheers for now, Steve
Old 11-07-2006, 12:15 PM
astronut (John)

Steve here is a picture of my scope, out on the field with it's "handsome owner"
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (John_in_Colour.gif)
66.7 KB564 views
Old 11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

A very handsome scope indeed John !
Old 11-07-2006, 03:15 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
ok, now you are making me feel like a stalker!
I used to live in artarmon too (barton road) from the mid 70s when my family moved there.
imagine that, all three of us from there...

unfortunately at the time i was in primary school and had no interest in looking upwards.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:39 PM
IanW
Pedantic dinosaur rider

11a Clarke Street Crows Nest, an address forever etched in my memory. I first went there back in 1969 as an 8yr old kid to choose a telescope as my Christmas Present. I wound up with an Amasco 2.4" Refractor, though I coveted the 2.4" Unitron which was about 30 bucks more (a lot back then!) In '72 I got my dream, a 2.4" Unitron which cost I think $99 which was still well over a weeks wage for most workers.

From 1973 to 75 I built an 8" Newtonian. I still have the optics and spider but the rest is long gone apart from Eric's infamous book on how to build your own telescope. I gave the Amasco OTA to the owner of a now well known online astronomy shop back in the mid-late 90s when he was working up at the AAO. The 2.4" Unitron I gave away to a girlfriends younger brother in the early 80s.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:59 PM
GLENN A DAVIS

A Stroll Down Memory Lane.

It was wonderful reading all the posts, from people who had purchased Unitron telescopes from Amateur Astronomers Supply Company (AKA) Astro-Optical Supply Company.
The name change happened in 1973!
I started working there in Febuary 1967, and learnt an amazing amount of knowledge regarding mirror making from the then owner Eric Whitcombe.
I ground and polished astronomical mirrors ranging from 100mm up to 375mm.in diameter.
The company also produced a 318mm Cassegrain telescope, that proved very popular.
I left in December 1975 to pursue other interests, but returned in October 1978 until January 1983.
During my two tenures with the company, I manufactured over 2000 mirrors of various focal ratios and diameters.
We also sold a lot of mirror grinding kits and supplied on going help, to those undertaking the task.
Some of our more famous cliental were John Laws, Graham Kennedy,George Miller and Simon Townsend.
The company supplied the war-torn binoculars that Mel Gibson used in Mad Max 2!
I always enjoyed helping people who had a love for Astronomy, both young and old.Our customers always liked having a good old chin wag about anything to do with the night sky and the instruments to view it!
Astro was originaly the only company to represent Celestron in Australia.
I was over the moon when we first took delivery of the C14!
I have so many beautiful memories of working there, which I will always cherish.
I can honestly say, i looked forward to going to work each day!
This year is my 33 year in the field of precision optics!
I now manage a company called Francis Lord Optics and my ongoing love for this science, is as fresh and appealing as when I first started.
A big thankyou to all the people who loved coming to our special shop in Clarke Street, Crows Nest.I hope the memories linger long also for you!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Translucidus (Peter)

Hi Guys
It's great to know there is an appreciation of Polarex Telescopes here.

Some time ago I acquired a 125MM F2000mm Polarex Refractor complete with some 15 eyepieces, two finder scopes, 240volt drive motor and enormous and heavy German Equatorial Mount on 3 Timber legs. The mount is very similar to number 6 photo of the first post here by Unipol and the scope is very similar to the last photo although it is a 5 inch.

There is also the multi eyepiece rotator turret, dual viewing eyepiece holder (for two people).

The optics are in generally excellent condition as they have been kept separate from the tube and mount during a long storage period before my acquisition.

The tube and mount though need some restoration. The tube simply needs a fresh powder coat and inner blackening. The mount works in one axis but seems locked in the other; looks easy to renovate though as there is minimal corrosion.

I am looking forward to either selling the lot to a capable restorer who would value the scope, or restore it myself when I retire sometime in the next couple of years.

Any tips on restoration would be appreciated; especially freeing up the EQ Mount mechanism and also painting the OTAs

I am also wondering what its value would be in Australia as I am open to offers from someone who would value it properly.

Last edited by Translucidus; 05-04-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 21-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Translucidus (Peter)

Just to let any interested parties know - The Unitron Scope has been sold.
Old 21-12-2009, 05:55 PM
skies2clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Hi John

Mark
My brother purchased one of these a few years ago, in excellent condition, including wooden case and original eyepieces. I think there was a mix of Orthos and Symmetricals included. The Alt-Az mount is well made and the scope performs very well. I think he paid about $700 for the lot. It's beautiful to look at and I can't see him parting with it. Pretty sure it's F15 (100mm OD).

Funny, I remember that time well because there was another chap selling a 7" Astro Physics Starfire for about $6k to $7k and we were seriously considering jointly purchasing it. Stupid drongos we were for not going for it!!!!!!!!

Clear skies,
Nick
Old 22-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skies2clear View Post
Funny, I remember that time well because there was another chap selling a 7" Astro Physics Starfire for about $6k to $7k and we were seriously considering jointly purchasing it. Stupid drongos we were for not going for it!!!!!!!!
Clear skies,
Nick
I've used that 7" 'scope you mention. At the end of the day its a 7" telescope so unless you are in to deep sky astrophotography, a good 10" Newtonian will leave it for dust visually

Re the 4" Altaz Polarex..it was so old school. Showed obvious colour on Venus and the Moon limb and was limited to about 150X on deep sky stuff. It was not really portable. In this day and age when you can get a color free 4" F9 Apo tube for under $1000 , I tyhink these old F15 scopes are of historical interest only.

Mark