Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 17-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Nasker

Can a password reset disk be recycled

An old password reset disk for Windows pc that was used once before,and it did work for the pc.
Yesterday,i tried it on another pc,but it didn't work like before,i am wondering if the disk is invalid or i did something wrong?
Old 17-05-2019, 05:25 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

????

Password reset disks used to be a way round people who obtained a stolen PC/laptop getting access

What is the use this is for.
Old 17-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Wavytone

Its possible they have locked the firmware to disable password resets - I have on my devices. If you don't know the admin account and password on my computers you are out of luck. Period.

What's more in OSX the admin account can be hidden, such that it only exists in the underlying Unix (via the Terminal commands) and does not appear in the GUI of OSX, and has no user folder etc.
Old 20-05-2019, 05:53 PM
Nasker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
????

Password reset disks used to be a way round people who obtained a stolen PC/laptop getting access

What is the use this is for.
I have two pcs,it is just one of them (An old pc).
Old 20-05-2019, 05:59 PM
Nasker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Its possible they have locked the firmware to disable password resets - I have on my devices. If you don't know the admin account and password on my computers you are out of luck. Period.

What's more in OSX the admin account can be hidden, such that it only exists in the underlying Unix (via the Terminal commands) and does not appear in the GUI of OSX, and has no user folder etc.
So next,i want to pull the drive and copy all all files of computer,only then can i reinstall a new OS.
Old 28-05-2019, 08:51 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Generally its easy to just plug the drive into a different computer nd copy the files from it (many customs agents around the world do this with your laptops at airports and many seedier nations have hotel staff do this to gear in your room too. However you dont know until you try. Some forms of disk encryption can prevent you doing this, odds are you just get files that are encrypted and beyond you being able to decrypt but maybe encryption was used only on certain files and not everything. Every possibility exists including multiple layers of encryption. Anyway if its not your data just buy a replacement drive and reinstall OS, there are few ways around disk encryption and unless you know what you've got and what you're doing you have pretty much exactly zero chance. Despite whatever crap you see in movies.
Old 29-05-2019, 03:57 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
Generally its easy to just plug the drive into a different computer nd copy the files from it (many customs agents around the world do this with your laptops at airports and many seedier nations have hotel staff do this to gear in your room too.

I don't think this is much a problem anymore, as most people with laptops that travel use bitlocker to make sure that cloning of a drive results in a useless copy (if you don't use it on your laptop, then you should).

You can also use various 3rd party encryption. The best one are the ones that also use a physical hardware (e.g. NitroKey, Mercury etc...). The Mercury system is interesting in that if it's pulled, it destroys itself.
Old 29-05-2019, 07:59 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICURMT View Post
I don't think this is much a problem anymore, as most people with laptops that travel use bitlocker to make sure that cloning of a drive results in a useless copy (if you don't use it on your laptop, then you should).
Which is why many places will just confiscate it and return it to you in maybe 6mths time when they've replicated offsite plus installed "extra" hardware. Only travel with a throw away machine containing a bare minimum of data you can afford to lose.
Old 29-05-2019, 02:42 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
Which is why many places will just confiscate it and return it to you in maybe 6mths time when they've replicated offsite plus installed "extra" hardware. Only travel with a throw away machine containing a bare minimum of data you can afford to lose.

I have close to 2.5 million miles travelled on almost every boat, plane, train around the world (1st world, 3rd world, any world) in over 40 countries and this has never happened to me. I've been detained in 5 countries and kicked out of two... never has my laptop been confiscated or torn apart...

Honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about...
<EDIT: In 35 years of travel and survived three coups...)
Old 04-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Eacert (Adam)

I guess not,it only works once i guess,but password reset disk is very powerful,any password can be reset by it.
Create another one isn't hard,see it https://www.uubyte.com/

Last edited by Eacert; 09-06-2019 at 04:22 PM.