Old 22-01-2022, 09:27 AM
Bodon (Steve)

Power - AZEQ6

Gday all.
New to this game full stop. I recently purchased a the above mount last week. In regards to setting it up, I had fantastic help from a forum member. I have not been able to view anything at this stage due to weather.

I am really confused with the power. I did buy an all in one power tank, but after reading some threads here I dont think it will cut it as I "believe" its unregulated which is a sin. I dont know yet as I haven't given my mount a spin except inside the house with it and not prepared to fizz it if the power tank goes below the recommended voltage.

Volt and amp jargon are beyond me. Can some gurus suggest what can I use as a single unit DC wise to power the mount in the back yard and brothers place, view above in Alt Az mode without me panicking about power?

My brother has a property hence a DC solution.

manual says DC 12~16V – 4A

Would this work?
https://itechworld.com.au/collection...-200w-itech200

Or visit an auto spark, grab a battery, some type of fuse and cig socket...

The Power conundrum is driving me nuts as well as looking at power units on youtube that can drive an entire Army Base.

Appreciate the help. Ta
Old 22-01-2022, 10:03 AM
Pepper (Steve)

For what it’s worth, I power my mount directly through a couple of 120ah deep cycle batteries that are charged by a solar panel.
All my 12v stuff in the obs is powered from them.
It’s all hard wired through a fuse panel and switches next to my computer.
Try to avoid cigarette lighter sockets, you run the risk of cutting power just by bumping them.
Hard wire your stuff and use proper connectors with some kind of latching tang so they stay secure. Or Anderson style plugs.
Get something with capacity. My 240ah battery setup will run your mount at full steam for somewhere in the order of 60hrs.
Consider the accessories you will be using too as all that adds up.
Do the maths before you buy a junk underpowered, overpriced power tank.

The supply you linked is only 20ish amp hour.
Your mount will gobble that up in a matter of hours and that’s without anything else attached.
IMO the price for that, you could easily build something with 5+ times the capacity.
Old 22-01-2022, 10:30 AM
Bodon (Steve)

GDay Pepper
Thanks for the reply. "you could easily build something with 5+ times the capacity"
How? Can you give me a heads up on whats required as I would have to get someone to do it for me. Useless at electrical jargon.
Old 22-01-2022, 11:57 AM
Pepper (Steve)

Depends how you use it.
Are you just powering your mount?
Do you need usb power ports?
Running cameras? Cooled?
Laptop?
How portable does it need to be.?
All these considerations need to be taken into account before you do anything really.

A good battery will be 250 depending on capacity.
12v usb hub bout 50

How do u want to charge?
From mains?
Battery charger say 100

From solar?
Regulator. 50-100
Panel 100-150.

Add another 50-100 for switches, wiring etc.

Alternatively, an extension cord from your nearest power point, a power board and just use plug packs from your gear.
Old 22-01-2022, 02:42 PM
Bodon (Steve)

Gday Pepper

Thanks again. I just want to run the mount and just view either in the back yard or at my brothers farm. Not running any gear for photos.

But as 'standard' USB for later would be spot on. But that's later as I have no idea how to use a camera at this stage. I can use a DSLR as I have a couple of Cannons...

You mentioned to try to avoid cigarette lighter sockets, isnt one socket required to power the mount due to that propitiatory plug on the mount? Or did you modify yours? Also a fuse required?

To recharge, 240v mains would be fine. I have 12kW of solar panels on my roof...

I sorted of wanted to get away from an extension cord as my yard is long. Happy to get a regulated power adapter for home, but nearly on limits to the closest power point hence a DC solution.

https://www.wiltronics.com.au/produc...-13-8vdc-4amp/

Appreciate your time
Old 22-01-2022, 04:52 PM
Pepper (Steve)

I’ll send you a pm later tonight
Old 22-01-2022, 05:43 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Perhaps a bit too much information here for just a night's casual viewing. I find that even a half dead car battery that no longer holds up in a car, will suffice for an evenings viewing if charged up before and after. But the following is very good advice -
Try to avoid cigarette lighter sockets, you run the risk of cutting power just by bumping them.
Hard wire your stuff and use proper connectors with some kind of latching tang so they stay secure. Or Anderson style plugs. (thanks Pepper).
Old 22-01-2022, 10:01 PM
Bodon (Steve)

GDay The Mekon thanks for the response.

"bit too much information here for just a night's casual viewing. I find that even a half dead car battery that no longer holds up in a car, will suffice for an evenings viewing if charged up before and after."

I get where you are going and Peppers set up. I am new to the whole game. After spending quite a few $ on that mount not at that stage to fizz it with not enough power. Wife will cut them off... Half dead battery, got it. How do you set it up? Will it get below 12v? Most pics/vids on the net are pretty cryptic when it comes to power off site. For a non hands on type like me...I would break it...
Old 22-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Kuz

Bodon. I use these with plugged into a safety box as I require a few powersourses for my rigs. Or just use them with a 240 power extension lead. You can go all night without the worry of a battery going flat and don't need to lug a battery around . I havenbeen using 4 off these for about 3 years and never had any problems. They are around $50
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SmartSelect_20220122-220922_Chrome.jpg)
164.4 KB69 views
Old 22-01-2022, 11:33 PM
Bodon (Steve)

Kuz

Appreciate the response. Thanks for the heads up. Ta I see that you like camera or two...
Old 23-01-2022, 10:17 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

While the manual says 4A, that’s the peak current it will draw, usually while slewing. When tracking, it’ll use an amp or less.

Going through the calculations, if we assume you look at the same object for 1 hour, your mount will consume 1Ah. For a 10 hour night, multiply that by 10.

Every time you slew to a different object it will consume more current, but for a relatively short period of time. So bump the value up to, say, 1.5A and you should be OK.

So for said 10 hour night, you’re looking at 1.5A x 10h = 15Ah.

Now consider batteries should never be drained to empty, pad it out by about 30% or so.

This also assumes that you have nothing else connected to the battery.

Hope that helps…
Old 23-01-2022, 11:00 AM
miker

Hi Steve, you said "I did buy an all in one power tank" .

Could you post a link or photo of the power tank that you now have?

Also a list/description or picture of the leads that were supplied with the power tank!

The power tank that you have may be quite ok to use. I would just like to see the specs and connection leads.

Rgds

Michael.
Old 23-01-2022, 11:08 AM
AdamJL

Have a read here:

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=196168

I made some recommendations in that thread for a variety of gear/price points. I use them all so know the pros/cons of each.

The biggest question is, what is your budget. Figure that out first, and there will be a solution to match.
Old 23-01-2022, 12:52 PM
Stev0 (Steve)

Power

Hey there.

I have the same mount and relatively new too. I went with:

--> https://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/a...ery-and-ardent
(something like this. note that you may need a different charger for these batteries. The one I have is a 175 which is a beast)

-->https://www.jaycar.com.au/12vdc-12-5...sort=relevance
(one of these to power the mount and my pimalucelab Eagle from the same unit when at home / testing alternate power option. I also purchased the double adapter from Jaycar and changed the fuse over...)

Both work really well. I didnt bother building my own battery setup. Noted that the battery bank / power bank isnt cheap!

All the best and good luck
Old 23-01-2022, 01:00 PM
Bodon (Steve)

Thanks Stevo.
Old 24-01-2022, 03:35 PM
Hoges (John)

With my AZEQ6, I wired a spare deep cyclel battery I wasn't currently using (120ah - WAY more than I need) under the obs floor and up the pier and wired a Jaycar combo cigarette/usb outlet and plug the mount straight into that. I charge via a solar panel and a 3 - 4 hour session only uses a handful of amps. If your powertank is 20-30ah and has the right connections, I can't see it being a problem - just keep an eye on your volts towards the end of the night. If I was buying a battery specifically for it, I'd try and get a 20ah or more Lithium - lightweight and could probably run the AZEQ for several nights before needing a charge. While cigarette type plugs aren't the best, the Jaycar unit seems reasonably robust and I haven't had to modify the original skywatcher leads.

PS, the iTechworld powerbank you listed would be great - if you've got a bunch of other stuff you can do with it but if you just want to power the mount, you don't need to spend anything like that.

Last edited by Hoges; 24-01-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old 25-01-2022, 12:50 AM
Bodon (Steve)

Gday all

Appreciate the responses. Very helpful. I called the electrician who installed my solar panels. He tested the power tank and it has ample power. Told me the in and outs of different batteries. He is knocking me up a portable box with a couple of USB and enough room for a lithium battery as a back up. Can be charged via solar panel if required. He is a four wheel drive and camping nutter. So under control now. Thanks again.