Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.00 average.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:57 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Thanks Troy.
I have to admit I have neglected this project "a bit" in the absence of time. Give me a few days and I'll see if I can figure something out.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:55 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

No problem and no rush. Appreciate any assistance at all.
Old 17-08-2019, 11:33 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Hi Troy,

Can you try the attached driver.

I have found (partially conflicting) information about your device on the net, so in theory, we should be able to get it going. Of course I do not have your device to test so it is all guesswork at this stage and it may take us a few attempts to figure out the parameters.

1. Install
2. In configuration click Detect Device.
3. If all goes well click Read Sensors. This will attempt communicating with the device.
4. Hopefully you should get some values for temperature/humidity and also some hex numbers in the box Raw Data.

If the values for temperature and humidity look OK then try again when the temperature is colder/hotter and see if the values are still ok (e.g. hold the sensor in your hand to warm it up or blow on the sensor to increase the humidity).

If the values are incorrect then send me the raw data (or a screenshot showing it).

If the values are read but do not make sense you can also try different combinations of the following settings:
1. Changing offsets from 0,1,2,3,0,0 to 2,3,4,5,0,0
2. Ticking the box Signed Offsets.
3. Changing the sensor from SHT1x to FM75 (it is most likely SHT1x but there was some conflicting info on the internet).

If you need to reset to the default values just reinstall the driver.

Good luck and let me know how you go.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TEMPerHUM_ASCOM_BETA_v2.1_setup.zip (374.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 18-08-2019, 07:53 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Thanks for looking into this mate. Unfortunately still having trouble detecting it - getting error message "Error, no known devices have been found. Do you want to see the list of all HID devices?"

Ignoring the error message, I manually selected the device at bottom of list. Clicking "read sensors" did nothing.

Manually changed sensor, signed offsets checkbox, and data offsets in all combinations and clicked "read sensors" after every change, and still nothing reads.

I also had a thought that it's an old USB2 device, and have had issues with USB2 ZWO camera plugged into USB3 port on computer, so tried all of the above in USB2 port as well. Still no joy. Just thought I'd add all things I tested.

Dumb question - I don't have any drivers for this thing. When I plug it in Windows10 says device ready. Is installing your ASCOM driver enough, or should I be trying to track down the PCSensor manuf driver as well? I'll do some more searching for it in the meantime, but it's so old I'm having trouble finding it. Might just be easier, and cheaper than your time wasted trying to get it to work, for me to just buy a newer one that does work. Was thinking I could mail it to you so you had it to test, but return postage probably just buy new one. Thinking the 2 you have tested (no *'s in drop down list) like the TEMPer1F_H1_V1.4 or the TEMPERHUM1V1.3
Old 18-08-2019, 08:37 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Just confirming I've ordered a new Temperhum from Aliexpress.
Old 18-08-2019, 09:59 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Unfortunately still having trouble detecting it - getting error message "Error, no known devices have been found. Do you want to see the list of all HID devices?"
I am actually surprised it did not get detected. That first step (detection) is only comparing the values from your screenshot.
(Reading the correct values from the device is a separate story, that is the next step).
Let me know if you want to do more troubleshooting, I could send you special versions of the driver to try to figure out what was going on.

Quote:
Dumb question - I don't have any drivers for this thing. When I plug it in Windows10 says device ready.
No drivers are needed as it is USB HID device. However, you do need some software to get the data out. Usually there is a CD with some simple software to read the temperature/humidity.
For my device the bundled software was reading wrong values. I believe they just used software for their previous device which had a different sensor.

Quote:
Just confirming I've ordered a new Temperhum from Aliexpress
Note that these devices are a mess, so many different versions had been made with different sensors and all with same/similar names. Let us know when it arrives as it may be something completely different again... hopefully not.
Old 19-08-2019, 08:23 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

I never got back to playing with my TemperHum on the "new" Win 7 laptop after suspecting some sort of USB stability issue.

I wonder if a more predictable path might be to combine something like this with an Arduino Uno along with something like Luka's ASCOM driver?
The Temperhums do seem to be legendary for unexpected variabilities.

https://www.banggood.com/AM2302-DHT2...r_warehouse=CN
Old 20-08-2019, 12:59 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Rob, it would be easy to write Arduino code to read the temperature/humidity sensor. And adding ASCOM driver as well.

The TemperHum devices do come in a nice USB stick format. Any Arduino based devices will need some work, wiring and putting in a box. The latter may not be for everybody, although it should be quite easy to do.

Is there interest in a custom-built Arduino device to measure temperature/humidity with ASCOM Observing Conditions driver?
Old 20-08-2019, 07:51 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

I built a small Arduino (Uno) flats box dimmer project in a cheap project box for an Arduino Mega recently. Essentially just the Uno, a Mosfet and an RCA output connection (USB and 12V input to the existing Uno input ports). Using the larger project case left space for the MOSFET and RCA, and the existing mounting points still worked fine for the Uno.

Wonder if the same simple box would be sufficient to give the sensor access to open air, wouldn't need 12V - hopefully heat from Uno would be negligible? Obviously much bigger than a Temperhum stuck in a USB port, but not huge.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-AB...frcectupt=true

This was the original CN's thread about the Alnitak dimmer project BTW for reference:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...ak-flat-panel/
First post has a pic of similar project box, but more enclosed than one I linked to above.
(if I can do it, anyone could.....)

Might also be possible to use the Arduino Nano and go much smaller again?
Old 20-08-2019, 09:24 PM
luka
Unregistered User

The simplest/smallest solution would be an Arduino Nano + a sensor. USB powered, I have to check but the sensor probably can be powered by the Nano. Possibly the parts could be picked so that no soldering is needed for those who would struggle with it.

The DHT22 sensors are notorious for dying for no reason (the humidity starts showing 0% or 100%) and I would probably pick something like Bosch BME280 which can also measure pressure. Similar cost of a few $ but it is a much better device.

So the small box could do temperature, humidity, dew point (calculated) and possibly pressure. Total cost for the parts without box would be about $5 from AliExpress (or a bit more from Ebay).

By the way, the TemperHum devices are not "that small" as they should be connected with an USB lead. If connected directly to computer/laptop they will get warm from it and hence show incorrect readings.
Old 21-08-2019, 09:13 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Interesting - and thanks Rob and Luka for taking it further. The Temperhum I ordered (around AU$30) says it's +-0.5deg C accuracy on the PCSensor website, but on the Alibaba page I bought it from says it's +-0.2deg. Not sure I trust either of those...

Wondering accuracy of this arduino solution.

Regarding the use of leads for the Temperhum - mine would be connected to Mount Hub Pro which sits on the scope. Not sure how much heat the MHP generates, but I was assuming that'd be realistic enough to ambient, or at least follow the trend. Only interested in temperature drops, not necessarily the absolute value, to trigger autofocus adjust.
Old 21-08-2019, 03:20 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

I used to plug mine into the Mount Hub Pro as well Troy - pretty good compromise, especially as mine is in a Coles clip-closed lunch box with slots cut for connections.

Luka, thanks for the comments on more reliable and useful sensors - way out of my league to know about such things. Agree with you the Arduino project could be extremely simple, and possibly even plug and go through some sort of Arduino shield.
Old 21-08-2019, 03:41 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Did some googling at lunchtime - here's an arduino ASCOM temp sensor project. They used the DH22, but I assume wouldn't be hard to translate to another one as Luka recommends.

http://photonenfangen.de/instruments...rature-sensor/
Old 21-08-2019, 03:44 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Nice - thanks Troy
(gotta love Google translate - look out for those "B" refractors! )
Old 21-08-2019, 11:54 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Interesting - and thanks Rob and Luka for taking it further. The Temperhum I ordered (around AU$30) says it's +-0.5deg C accuracy on the PCSensor website, but on the Alibaba page I bought it from says it's +-0.2deg. Not sure I trust either of those...

Wondering accuracy of this arduino solution.
The accuracy depends on the sensor. Once you get your device try the driver and if it works it should tell you what sensor is inside.
For example, the temperature accuracy of DHT22 is ±0.5°C while the humidity accuracy is interestingly quoted to be ±2% but can be as high as ±5%. BME280 also has ±0.5°C temperature accuracy (±1C at 65°C).

Quote:
Did some googling at lunchtime - here's an arduino ASCOM temp sensor project. They used the DH22, but I assume wouldn't be hard to translate to another one as Luka recommends.

http://photonenfangen.de/instruments...rature-sensor/
Wonderful find. That is exactly what I was thinking about. The only issue with it is that even this device has been called TemperHum v3. My head is going to explode

By the way, I did not find any BME280 breakout boards that can be used without soldering.
Old 22-08-2019, 08:08 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
The accuracy depends on the sensor. Once you get your device try the driver and if it works it should tell you what sensor is inside.
For example, the temperature accuracy of DHT22 is ±0.5°C while the humidity accuracy is interestingly quoted to be ±2% but can be as high as ±5%. BME280 also has ±0.5°C temperature accuracy (±1C at 65°C).

Wonderful find. That is exactly what I was thinking about. The only issue with it is that even this device has been called TemperHum v3. My head is going to explode

By the way, I did not find any BME280 breakout boards that can be used without soldering.
Haha. I missed that first time around - although it's TempHum v3, without the "er". No need to lose your head over that
Old 22-08-2019, 10:14 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Haha. I missed that first time around - although it's TempHum v3, without the "er". No need to lose your head over that
See what I mean, I have starting imagining things now as well
Old 10-09-2019, 07:56 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

G'day Luka. Device fiiiiiiiiiinally arrived today. Tried connecting through your ASCOM driver beta v2.1, but didn't detect it unfortunately. Screenshot below of the "get device details" output.

The device is working. Attached also is screenshot of the PC Sensor software. Note the red icon in top bar says "TEMPerX", but the device is the white TEMPerHUM with the TXT button as in this screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (temperhum ascom device details.png)
18.2 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (pc sensor.png)
38.7 KB68 views
Click for full-size image (ULB81lM4rYnJXKJkSahGq6xhzFXaQ.jpg)
62.5 KB73 views
Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Troy, that looks exactly like mine. But who knows what is inside... hopefully the same sensor with another (different) name.

Can you:
1. go to the driver
2. once it fails to autodetect click yes to see the list of all HID devices
3. on the right hand side expand "connected HID devices"
4. select the device that looks like TemperHum. If nothing looks like TemperHum can you post a screenshot with the expanded "connected HID devices"
5. If you find your TemperHum device click "Get Device Details". Post a screenshot here.

For example, see the attached screenshot how it looks for my device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (TemperHum.png)
47.0 KB40 views
Old 11-09-2019, 05:22 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

G'day Luka,

That first screenshot I posted above is the "get device details" for the device. It only showed up the PID and VID, the rest is blank. I tested it with the device unplugged and then plugged in, and that is the only new one that appeared.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (temperhum ascom device details.png)
38.7 KB38 views