Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 24-08-2008, 08:04 AM
bojan
amateur

A quest for (affordable, but good enough) astro-lens

This topic has been discussed here before.. Still I think it would be worth to present some more information in a form of pictures, without too many words
Recently I obtained MC Rubinar F8/500 (http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/r...8_500_lens.htm).
The lens is very light-weight and extremely portable...
I attached here crops from image taken with it (on my 400D), from central part and from one of the corners. (30sec, ISO1600). The crops are 100% size (no resampling or resizing, and no any other form of processing, just a screen copy from RAW file displayed with DPP).
It is visible that the stars are not ideally round, but there is no difference in their shape from central and corner areas of the image.. Which means flat field and no (visible) coma and/or CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jewel_Box_corner.jpg)
18.2 KB41 views
Click for full-size image (Jewel_Box_centre.jpg)
23.8 KB57 views

Last edited by bojan; 27-08-2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 25-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Good Idea bojan,
I am researching like mad to find a cheap alternative into the hobby. I was first refered to the Orion ED80mm, but I did not really exspress the truth about my limiting budget. At the moment I'm thinking about Narrowband Imaging with an achromatic refractor...
Old 26-08-2008, 10:13 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekyn View Post
I am researching like mad to find a cheap alternative into the hobby...

...but I did not really exspress the truth about my limiting budget. At the moment I'm thinking about Narrowband Imaging with an achromatic refractor...
Sounds like you're trying to Run before walking Dave!!
Get a half decent motor driven EQ mount (RA only will suffice), a DSLR with a 50mm lens and start snapping - you'll learn heaps about your gear, alignment etc etc. that's a "budget - good!" way into imaging. Any imaging with a scope is going to need a much better mount (budget - bad!!!)
All the best
Doug
Old 27-08-2008, 06:16 AM
bojan
amateur

You are spot-on here, Doug.. :-)
I would never know how good (bad, as it turned out actually) my MTO1000 was, until I obtained EQ6 and tried it with DSLR.
50mm lens and DSLR (on a motorized mount - even barn-door) can produce wonderful results.
You can even search for (and find them) novae, variables, comets..

Last edited by bojan; 27-08-2008 at 08:21 AM.