Old 14-11-2010, 05:45 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataura View Post
i got my telescope last week, braved myself it fix it. took it to my condo apartment terrace. managed to get a glimpse of moon and Jupiter. the telescope keeps shifting and is not steady. i guess, i have a long way to go
Nat and please give us some information on your scope ?
such as Tripod /mount, size, type of scope ect we may be able to give you some tips as to make your observing more enjoyable
Cheers
Old 22-11-2010, 10:46 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Jenintroduction

Hi, I'm Jenny and it's been 47 days since I last looked through my scope
Clap Clap Clap..... (actually it was only last week, but it was for about 45 mins and it got cloudy again, so I'm not counting it)

I've been pretending to be an AA since last year this time when I bought my lx90 - I was hoping to get an lx200 but the price beat me.

However I am very happy with my little blue tube and it points like a hunting hound so I'm happy with that since I'm kinda vague about the points of light inthe sky
Who can blame me, They've not been visible for more than a minute this year... and my memory ain't what it used to be.

I'm a member of the Southern Astronomical Society and they foolishly asked me to be a committee member this year so I'm already rising like cream to the top (or is that scum?)

I have a T shirt now that has SAS on the front... which is almost as bad as having "I am a bomb disposal expert, if you see me running, try to keep up" on the back....
Old 22-11-2010, 11:02 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

hmm i think i remember you from SAS meeting jenny.... im the quite korean kid who doesnt say much
Old 22-11-2010, 11:25 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

ah yes i think I do!
I'm the wrinkly old dowager with too much enthusiasm!
Old 23-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Bryce

hi, i'm Bryce,
i'm hoping for a telescope this xmas year but right now i've got really,really..... bad binoculars

Bryce
Old 24-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Welcome to IIS Bryce.

I hope Santa is kind to you and brings you that scope.

Cheers
Old 24-11-2010, 03:17 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Victorians don't deserve nice stuff......
Except astronomers and they deserve government sponsored 14" Meades
Old 24-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
Hi, I'm Jenny and it's been 47 days since I last looked through my scope
Clap Clap Clap..... (actually it was only last week, but it was for about 45 mins and it got cloudy again, so I'm not counting it)

I've been pretending to be an AA since last year this time when I bought my lx90 - I was hoping to get an lx200 but the price beat me.

However I am very happy with my little blue tube and it points like a hunting hound so I'm happy with that since I'm kinda vague about the points of light inthe sky
Who can blame me, They've not been visible for more than a minute this year... and my memory ain't what it used to be.

I'm a member of the Southern Astronomical Society and they foolishly asked me to be a committee member this year so I'm already rising like cream to the top (or is that scum?)

I have a T shirt now that has SAS on the front... which is almost as bad as having "I am a bomb disposal expert, if you see me running, try to keep up" on the back....

You have great humour, Jennifer.
Hi Jennifer . I hope we hear a lot more from you. The weather has indeed been "mean" to us Brissie people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
hmm i think i remember you from SAS meeting jenny.... im the quite korean kid who doesnt say much
I was at the SAS meeting a couple of months ago, I wonder if I saw you . I noticed two ladies sitting on the right hand side of the hall, I wonder if you were one of them . I wonder if you remember me IceAxe (Joe) picked me out easily from my avatar, so I guess I wouldn't have been too hard to pick out. Oh wait.. if you heard "stomp stomp stomp" on the wooden floorboards? Hubby got mad at me because my heels kept echoing through the hall so I ended up tip toeing like a clumsy ballerina. 'tw'sn't easy. . Tony said he's very easily .
Old 24-11-2010, 08:10 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Tony said he's very easily .
I heard my name.... :|
Old 24-11-2010, 09:00 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

I'm hard to miss, I'm 6 foot tall!
Probably wearing a white SAS shirt
Old 26-11-2010, 04:25 PM
DSO dude (Jarrah)

yello every body just thought i'd say hi and introduce myself before i start getting more into it

I am looking forward to writing some posts and helping some people out!
Old 27-11-2010, 07:14 PM
johnsy123 (Nick johns)

Beginners telescopic formation

hey i am new to astronomy. And i am thinking about getting a telescope in a few weeks. As a beginner what is the the most convenient for me?
Old 28-11-2010, 12:11 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

johnsy - hi
The best scope is the one you'll use - all the time.
I'd need some details before I could advise you.
Budget, place you'll be viewing from, your knowledge of the sky, physical fitness, strength, enthusiasm, size of your car.

so it would stretch from an oldie with a crook back or heart and a Suzuki Mighty Boy with no prior knowledge of the sky, to a Capped National Athlete with a bank roll and a degree in astronomy and a passion for phtography
Old 30-11-2010, 09:24 PM
keni (Ken)

And still the Newbies arrive

Hi Ken here just introducing myself.
A mate has recently got interested in astronomy and dragged me along for the ride.We went to a couple of public nights here in Brisbane and that only sucked us further in.
We borrowed a couple of smaller scopes to play with while we decided what to get.This explains the atrocious weather we've been having. Needing something larger we bought a 2nd hand 10" Dob between us to tide us over for awhile.
My long term plan is to get into astrophotography so I plan to use the tube on an EQ mount next year and my mate is planning to buy a larger full goto Dob.
So now we sit watching the rotten weather.....
Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

heyy ken.. a 10" Dob OTA is pretty heavy so youd be looking for something like a EQ6 or a G11 haha.. a bit pricey and all, also, you got to make sure DSLR or CCD camera can come in to focus on your dob, usually theres not enough in focus to allow prime focus photography, i bought my 10" with the mirror already moved up... :/ hope this helps

clear skies
tony
Old 02-12-2010, 04:57 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Yes Tony you're absolutely right, there's a lot fall foul and get a long T thread and find no focus left - add a barlow as well and you're going to have to jack your mirror up about an inch and a half - at least!
As a thought, doesn't that mean you spill some light off the secondary mirror?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:17 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

yeah, sometimes, they usually change the secondary to a larger mirrors to stop them photons from escaping
Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 PM
keni (Ken)

Hi Tony,
I thought it might be a little heavy after doing some more web searching.Thanks for the tips too.I have a DSLR so when I do jump in I'll be hitting the Astrophoto forum hard and low.For now we're just going get familiar with the sky if it ever returns.I'm sure getting sick of observing fluffy gray things.

Ken
Old 02-12-2010, 10:09 PM
keni (Ken)

Hi Jenny,
Thanks also for your tips.It may be easier to get one of the OTAs that are made for Astro Photography.Anyway that's at least 6 months away.Plenty of time for me to get thoroughly confused......and poorer.

Ken
Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

A nice start is something like a newtonian 8" with an f/7 or f/8 speed - that will allow for good camera speed but also be useful for visual.
An EQ5 mount and you have a decent start.
Keep you eyes on the for sale listings.
Most of the stuff that sells is people moving up to the next level and the stuff is well looked after or someone who lost interest and it's unused.
It is seldom worn out.
The Newtonian is light enough but you may have to be an acrobat to look into the eyepiece sometimes if you're doing visual - what sort of DSLR is it?
Canon 1D?
If it has live view and laptop control, you're well on the way.
Are you north or south brisbane?