Old 29-06-2013, 06:20 PM
batema (Mark)

Imaging scope on top or side by side?

Hi,

I am trying to get some equipment going for a school that purchased it in September 2011 and it has not been out of the box yet.

They have a Vixen R200SS, an HEQ5Pro and as a guide scope a Skywatcher ED80. They received a side by side mounting system however the Vixen plate when I put it in and tighten it is only supported by a millimetre when screwed up tight. I figure if I put an aluminium plate on top using the two screws that are used to support the leather handle I could screw the ED80 using the two screws for the tube rings to give me a guide scope that is not adjustable but would allow them to get going.

Any advice????

Mark
Old 30-06-2013, 05:52 AM
Woffy (John)

Smile Possible solution

Hi Mark,
Is the school going to take photographs? If so then the piggyback may work, if not it will be harder to use for visual for 2 students than a side by side system.I recently had to solve the same problem with a vixen side by side plate and countersinking the screws into the vixen dovetail bar with a 90 degree countersink drill bit allowed the dovetail to sit flush in the saddle and gave better grip.
I am also on the Sunshine Coast and happy to show you what i mean if it will help. I also have the right drill bit.
John