Old 24-05-2008, 08:46 AM
matt
6000 post club member

DMK/Photoshop colour issues

Hi guys.

Thought I'd put a question out there in the small hope someone might have an answer.

I've been concentrating on RGB planetary imaging with the DMK 21AF04 mono firewire cam and Astronomik Type 2 filters.

I use K3CCDTools capture software to acquire my colour frames. I then run each AVI through VirtualDub to convert to BMPs, then crop and centre in ppmcentre, then into Registax for some gentle wavelet processing and save as 16-bit TIFFS, then into Photoshop 7 where I convert to Greyscale, convert to 8-bit, merge channels.

I'm noticing that my initial merged image looks to have a very strong red cast, which strikes me as odd since I stack the same number of red, green and blue frames into each channel.

What's really got me puzzled is how hard I'm finding this to correct in PS. I've tried a number of different approaches in PS...but I always end up with unnatural looking colour.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Is there something I should be paying closer attention to at capture time? I usually just work straight off a greyscale histogram in ICCapture and try to get the same for each channel. Should I be using individual colour histograms...and are there such things in IC Capture which you fire up during capture?

Am I doing something wrong in Photoshop? Maybe I need to match my Photoshop workspace settings to the colour profile of the camera? Does the camera have a colour profile, given its a monochrome chip?

I've got some more experimenting to do and will report back with any findings or breakthroughs if I make them

Just thought I'd toss it out there.

(Mods - please move if in wrong forum/section)

Last edited by matt; 24-05-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 24-05-2008, 05:08 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Matt

Can you post the files straight out of stacking/processing in registax?

Then we can all have a play at recombining and you can check colour balance compared with your own.
Old 24-05-2008, 05:17 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Will do, Mike.

Is it OK to do some wavelet processing in Regi (reference and wavelets) or do you want them pretty much 'virgin' jpegs?

I've got a few things I'm going to try when I get some more data, including seeing what happens if I stack more frames of certain channels to produce my TIFFS... such as more blue and green to compensate for this horrid red cast.

Cheers.
Old 24-05-2008, 06:02 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Wavelet processing is fine.

Stacking more of a certain channel shouldn't make a difference to the colour cast - it's more likely to do with the histogram of the channel at the time of capture.
Old 24-05-2008, 06:34 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
it's more likely to do with the histogram of the channel at the time of capture.
Yes. I am suspecting this has a significant impact, although I try to get the histo for each channel looking the same during capture.

Can you elaborate on this point, Mike?

What should I be mindful of during this part of the process?

Thanks for your help.