Old 28-11-2012, 10:50 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I made the fatal mistake ...

Of checking PriceSpy for the best price on DSLR cameras.
As you may have noticed I've been plotting to upgrade to a Canon EOS650D and have thus been looking for deals etc. Best I could manage was about $1500 for a twin lens kit (to try and justify the spend it needs to be usable for normal pix).
By chance I spotted an ad for a SONY A65 at a slightly lower price, body only. My current camera is a Konica Minolta DYNAX 7D, now part of the SONY group and the Alpha range of cameras.
Googling revealed a comparison test between the 650 and the A65.
The A65 over most features beats the 650D by some margin. In particular it images at 24 MP, has more colour depth and image quality, more dynamic range and even a larger area of sensor.
Does a pile of other stuff, heaps in fact.

So I've found the A65 cheaper than buying a Canon kit BUT now I've found it's bigger more professional brother the A77 for only slightly dearer than the Canon twin lens kit.
The big advantage for me is that my current lenses (3), the big flash gun and my T adapter, remote control will all work with the A65 (or A77).
And I'll get damn all if I sell them ..

The A77 is awesomely featured, motorsport with that would be scary !!

Any other user out there with SONY exposure and comments ? Or any photogs for that matter .
Old 28-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Astro_Bot

There was a thread a while ago:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=94858

Here's a thread on the A57:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...highlight=sony

IIRC, there's a thread somewhere else with samples of A77 shots ... Edit: Ah, here it is:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=94890
Old 28-11-2012, 02:35 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Bot View Post
There was a thread a while ago:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=94858

Here's a thread on the A57:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...highlight=sony

IIRC, there's a thread somewhere else with samples of A77 shots ... Edit: Ah, here it is:

www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=94890
Those a77 threads I started. I'm still coming to grips with some of the features but it's a joy to use. The 24Mpx RAWs do eat up 16Gb cards quickly, and it does like fast cards to keep up with the 12fps it can do.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=99798 has a cropped but otherwise unretouched Moon in it.

I got a really good deal on the a77 + 18-50mm lens kit, and the Sigma 150-500mm is hand holdable - as long as it's reasonable bright and you are happy with ISO 400 and above. I tried reducing a couple of wildlife shots around the house (rosellas on tripod, blue tounge hand held) to fit the 200Kb limit, but it doesn't do them justice.
Old 28-11-2012, 05:21 PM
gbeal

Waste of time talking to me, I've had an a700 since they came out. Swimming against the tide when you use it for astro, but really, I could not be happier, it is a stunning camera, one I use very often, sometimes daily.
Astro work is fine as well, I bought a cheap remote, programable one, and it works like a charm. The a700 does not have live-view, which is about all I could ever ask for, simply to make the B Mask simpler to use.
If the price weren't so great, I'd be into an a77 myself. The Zeiss 16-80 I currently have is a great piece of kit.
Canon/Schmanon, LOL. Get the Sony.
Gary
Old 29-11-2012, 10:10 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Thanks for the feedback. I've just been offered some photographic work as well (sideline) which could help offset the purchase cost.
The lack of a PC connected Live View is a bummer although it does have HDMI TV output. A small TV in the OB ??
But the OLEO screen at back has amazing clarity and magnification so checking focus could be ok.
I have a Sigma 18-70 lens, a KM 28-105 and the KM 70-300, all of which get rated up by the 2/3 sensor of course. All nice glass. I also have the big SONY 5600 Flash gun, the 'Suntanner' as it gets called.
With 24MP I don't think I'd need a scope, just the 300 (@450mm) on the EQ6 and crop what I want out of the huge RAW pic file.
The A77 is looking the more likely buy as I'm thinking to get back into photography as a retirement 'business'. I have some ideas I'd like to explore.
It means I won't do an IR filter mod but at this point that is not a priority.

Argh, decisions, decisions.... !!
Old 29-11-2012, 01:13 PM
gbeal

Buy it, and mod the A65. I've actually considered getting an older aWhatever and getting it modded. I use the X-Pro1 with an IR filter, but the complete mod would be best.
Gary
Old 30-11-2012, 05:23 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I've only got the 7D, not the A65 but you're on the right track. I've decided to mod the 7D despite it's lower 6Mp sensor. Gives me an IR option and experience for later mods. It might lend itself to cooling as well. For what I'd get selling it it is a much better idea.
I post my comments on the A77 when I get my hands on one, hopefully later today.
Old 30-11-2012, 06:12 AM
gbeal

Darn, can't wait for that. Then grab a couple of the Zeiss lenses, and you'll be set.
Gary
Old 30-11-2012, 07:42 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Of checking PriceSpy for the best price on DSLR cameras.
As you may have noticed I've been plotting to upgrade to a Canon EOS650D and have thus been looking for deals etc. Best I could manage was about $1500 for a twin lens kit ..............

Brent I assume that's NZ price? StaticIce have them (twin lens, page 3 ) starting from $800 Aust.
Old 30-11-2012, 11:08 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Brendan, Yeah, NZ prices.
It has been ordered + 32Gig SDHC card.
Retail here is $1849, body only.
I got $1599 + card at $80 through parallel import.
Arrives Wednesday ....

Wife just told me to buy some baby spinach on the way home for dinner menu when I emailed her. Didn't even blink about the camera. Mind you, she coughed up $1300 for her wee Leica so .....
I tested my lenses on an A65 in the shop and they all work brilliantly.

A$800 ..... I wish....

Maybe we need to form a 'SONY Section' on IIS and spread the good word...

Zeiss lenses .. ? I wish ... maybe one day.

Last edited by ZeroID; 30-11-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Camera is here ! Battery is on charge and I am reading the manual. Had to change the power plug to NZ style, I might even certify it properly. Another 70 or so mins to full charge and then .....it's playtime !

Nice weight & size, feels solid in the hand.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Camera is here ! Battery is on charge and I am reading the manual. Had to change the power plug to NZ style, I might even certify it properly. Another 70 or so mins to full charge and then .....it's playtime !

Nice weight & size, feels solid in the hand.
Welcome to the club Brent. It is a physically bigger and heavier than my a200 but fits my hand better.
You might look into getting the mains power supply for it. They don't seem to charge the battery but it will keep running long enough to fill more than one card with RAWs.
Did you get 60Mb/sec or 90Mb/sec cards? Even 90s will only keep shooting RAWs at 12 FPS for a few seconds.
Now you just need to update your sig.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:23 PM
gbeal

Good news, let us know what you think of it. No, on second thoughts, perhaps not.
I actually looked at the a99 today while in Auckland's Queen Street, looked very nice, but I resisted the temptation, just.
Enjoy.
Gary
Old 07-12-2012, 08:22 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

First at hand usage says it is a beautiful hand fit. I've had several KM's in the past and it was one of the big plus points on them all. At weddings they would just hang in your hand like an extension to your arm making them easy to use.
Menus are surprisingly easy to navigate, both setup and function.
Only operational noise is the lens movement ( or the unexpected flash head popup !! )
Very fast and very configurable, lots more to explore, haven't TOUCHED the movie modes.
I am impressed with the resolution and definition of the images, very smooth. I accidentally took a couple of completely black frames ( darks) and not a sign of any noise that I could discern at quite high magnification. That was one of my concerns after reading reviews but happy with result so far.
I will look into the AC supply maybe but I will get another battery and more card(s). It does seem to chew through the batery but then again I was playing with it a lot last night. Reviews says it meets it's stated number of frames (~500)
Spotted that my 70-300 tele has some chromatic abberation so will register that and adjust with the chroma controls, too cool !!

I have a job to do next Friday with it. Evening event with the big flash gun which I may have to tone down a bit, not sure if it is working in full control of the output although it is a dedicated SONY unit. I will carry the old 7D with me as well, mainly because of battery expectancy, nice to have some backup as well.

Astro, I have found the operate without lens option and manual controls are standard but I haven't found the 'see through clouds and rain' option yet. It will be there somewhere.
More to come as I get familiar with the beast...

But Happeeee !!

EDIT: I got the 90Mb \sec card, level 10.

Last edited by ZeroID; 07-12-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Added some stuff ..