Old 22-03-2013, 06:19 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Losing confidence in DDP

I've always used and recommended DDP (d-d-photographics) for grey imports and other camera gear, and typically they've been very good.

But the last few orders have decreased my confidence in them.

My Canon 6D took about 5 weeks to fulfill, even though they said it would be about 1 week.

On Monday I ordered a tripod adapter plate and a nifty fifty lens, and heard nothing from them for days. I inquired again last night and now I'm told it'll be sent today.

Any other good suppliers?
Price and service?

The good thing about DDP is you can go to their North Sydney store to pick up or look at stuff, not the case with a lot of online stores.
Old 22-03-2013, 06:27 AM
garymck (Gary)

Hi
Have bought several things from here:

http://www.digitalrev.com

Service has been the best I've ever had. The way they dealt with an item I ordered an paid for incorrectly impressed me greatly. Deliveries have never taken longer than 3 days to Melbourne. Know several people who have dealt with them also and had great service. Only problem is that there is no store in Oz....

cheers
Gary
Old 22-03-2013, 06:51 AM
adavis (Andrew)

Well my experience with DDP isnt leaving a good taste in my mouth so far.
Ordered online from them expecting to get confirmation that i could go pick up my 7D that week (3-4 days) and had to chase them to only find out that there was 3-4 week delay in getting that body.

Not very impressed as I would have ordered for somewhere else if I had known that the items werent in stock when I ordered.

I have chased them again this week and they now say 5-10 days, but Im not holding my breath.
Old 22-03-2013, 07:18 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Sorry Andrew, I was the one that recommended you go there!

Hope you get it soon.
Old 22-03-2013, 07:33 AM
toc (Tim)

I had a similar experience last year. I ordered a macro lens and a flash from them mainly because they were located in Australia rather than OS. In the end, the stuff I ordered from OS was here weeks before the DDP order They also where very slack in returning emails - in the end it was quicker to bug them via facebook

I wont be ordering from them again, thats for sure.
Old 22-03-2013, 10:33 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

I have, and will, only use them for stuff they have in stock, they take forever to get stuff in and they don't have the best communication. They also seem to be stocking less in store and in Australia these days which sort of defeats the purpose for me. Not having a nifty fifty in stock?? wtf?
Also, as I've mentioned before, I had a friend who had problems with a 7D he bought from them, had to send it away twice, first for a month then again for 2 months. On the other hand I've had only good experiences with them but I haven't bought anything there in a couple of years.
Old 22-03-2013, 11:17 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Check out www.Kogan.com.au
But remember like any store, compare prices before you buy and don't forget to add delivery fee to the price.
They currently have 1100D for $319.
Old 22-03-2013, 11:27 AM
RB (Andrew)

Agreed Mike, they're not what they used to be like.
I don't recommend them anymore.

I've since found my old contact that used to be in the city store that closed down on George St (forgot the name).
He now works in Chatswood, used to be my old neighbour in Syd.

I'll be dealing with him when I need items from now on.

Old 22-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Same issues here.

They've been bought out by another mob who no longer keep stock. Everything is ordered as required from Hong Kong.

Took five weeks to get a mate's lens and then a month to get my 70-200 when I was told it would be 10-12 days.

Time to pile on Andrew.

H
Old 22-03-2013, 01:26 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

hrmm ok.

Looks like I won't be going there anymore.
Old 22-03-2013, 01:33 PM
koputai (Jason)

They used to be good when you could actually phone the Sydney store to find out if something was in stock, order it, then pick it up that day or the next. You don't seem to be able to call Sydney any more, the person you talk to is in Brisbane when you ring the Sydney number. Then, that person can't actually tell you if something is in stock! You have to order it, then they tell you later if they have it or not. Last time I had to continuously call them to find out if I was going to get my stuff in time for a trip, even though it was supposedly in stock and I ordered two weeks ahead.

Time to find someone new.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 22-03-2013, 02:04 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

I bought my 500D from these guys when they had a store in Martin Place (they also did online back then too): http://www.camera-warehouse.com.au/
Now they're online only but they say it's the same people and same business so might be worth a look.
But I've bought the last couple of photography purchases from Georges Camera on George st in the CBD, bit more expensive but less hassle. http://www.georges.com.au/
Old 22-03-2013, 02:14 PM
gregbradley

I think the problem with camera stores generally speaking is they are being wiped out by online stores. They usually simply can't compete.
I was in Penrith about 3 months ago and went to look in some camera shops. There were supposed to be 2 or 3 of them. They were all shut down.

There can be some exceptions. I order stuff through ECS cameras in Drummoyne (just bought a lens off him today as a matter of fact). His prices on Fuji are actually the same or cheaper than online.
For Nikon he is only a bit more expensive than online.

But that's for Nikon and Fuji. He doesn't sell Canon.

I've bought a lot off Hong Kong guys including a Nex 6 which only took 5 days to arrive. They all seem good so far and no complaints. But nothing was a super expensive purchase.

Greg.
Old 22-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Phil Hart

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/ has been good for me. not quite the price/range of DDP but no issues and they do have actual storefronts as well..
Old 24-03-2013, 03:01 PM
toc (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphart View Post
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/ has been good for me. not quite the price/range of DDP but no issues and they do have actual storefronts as well..
I can recommend them as well. Got an Epson 3880 in Melbourne a few months ago, and was impressed with the service.
Old 24-03-2013, 09:35 PM
trek1701 (Mark)

I ordered a intervalometer from DDP on the 12th of March and am still waiting

Mark
Old 25-03-2013, 08:21 AM
adavis (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Sorry Andrew, I was the one that recommended you go there!

Hope you get it soon.
Haha, I'm a big boy, no worries Mike
Old 25-03-2013, 07:23 PM
jamiep (Jamie)

I've been using http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/ - everything i've ordered from them (a Samyang lens, and some adapters etc) has been very fast (the samyang under 48 hours delivered from OS) and quality merch.

I recommended them to a friend and they let her down - but I think there was more to the story centering around payment, no PayPal and a lack of credit card - so as long as you can pay via internationally acceptable methods - I'd cautiously recommend them!
Old 25-03-2013, 08:20 PM
leon

What about Digital Camera Warehouse Australia.

Leon
Old 25-03-2013, 09:23 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Best deals and service, for me anyways, with NIL complaints: Michaels in Melbourne. Never had a single issue, never had a problem with any of the items, never had a haggle over insurance with them. Just good, honest service Not always rock bottom prices, but the service and reliability IMHO makes up for it.

Not a fan of grey importers for anything worth over $100 - warranty etc is usually a nightmare.