Old 15-12-2012, 11:03 AM
widow18 (Pete)

Alignment in EQMod

I have started playing with EQMod, it would probably be a great thing if I could make it work.
I am using Stellarium, have a gamepad controller, and everything works as advertised except alignment. Is there a command to begin a N or 3 star alignment, if so could someone please advise where it is?
The sync button on my controller is correct but after selecting a star and pressing the button I get no reaction on the Alignment point list editor.
There are command buttons for "alignment accept" and "alignment end". Once again could someone explain what these are, I have read the documentation and am no wiser.
Thanks in advance
Peter
Old 15-12-2012, 01:05 PM
alistairsam

Hi
You can add as many alignment points as you like
But you sync it from stellarium
Ctrl 1 for slew and then once you've centered the star you'll see that the telescope reticle is a little away from the object. But once you press Ctrl 3 which is sync, you'll see the scope reticle moving to the object in stellarium

In the advanced view of the eqmod window, you'll seethe point count as 1, and will increment as you sync
And the button to view the points will show them in a circle, concept is that any goto to a target within alignment points should be accurate.

But best if you spend time with polar alignment, get it as close as you can. Then do the sync. Most objects will be within the fov

Edit: by the way you don't use the hand controller at all if you're using eqmod
Old 15-12-2012, 01:26 PM
widow18 (Pete)

Thanks for that information.
My polar alignment is good and has nothing to do with the problem, that being when I hit the Sync button nothing is added to to the point count list and there are no little spots on the radar screen or whatever you would call it.
No ideas on why there are "alignment end" and "alignment accept" buttons?
Regards
Peter
Old 15-12-2012, 02:06 PM
alistairsam

Pete
Where are you hitting the sync button?
You need to do it in stellarium
That is if you start stellarium scope first and stellarium shows you the scope position as a reticle
There are no alignment end or start
You basically start stellarium scope, choose the scope, tick the box to connect, that will bring up the eqmod control window
You then use stellarium to slew to a target, centre the star using the game pad controller, then press Ctrl 3 with stellarium in front
In the eqmod window, expand it and you'll seethe alignment points list
I'm assuming you entered the correct lat long in the site properties

Good polar alignment is required for your gotos to be good
Cheers
Old 15-12-2012, 02:27 PM
widow18 (Pete)

Thanks again.
I figured it out, to sync from the gamepad controller it requires a double click.
If you expand the EQMod window you will see configure gamepad in the lower right , open that and you will see to programable buttons "align accept" and "align end". Also mentioned in EQmod documentation, but with no mention I could find of what they do.
As I was clutching at straws trying to make the sync work I thought they might have something to do with it.
So once I start alignment and add "points" the goto will automatically get more accurate without any further intervention on my part?
I am desperate to get this working because once it starts raining up here it will keep up until ANZAC day.
Regards
Peter
Old 15-12-2012, 02:32 PM
alistairsam

Oh yes, the Gamepad programmable. Buttons, yep you could assign them for alignment, but I found it didn't work always, so I use the stellarium sync.
Yes, as you add more points, the gotos wil get accurate, but there can be some error based on the gears in your mount.
I usually slew to a bright star near the object I want, sync to that and then goto the target. That almost always gets in right in the centre
What mount are you using
Old 15-12-2012, 02:46 PM
widow18 (Pete)

I have HEQ5Pro, st80 guider using PHD. Been using ED80 but just bought an RC8, well about five weeks ago but just got a decent night to look through it last night, still haven't taken any photos with it.
Probably trying to do too many new things as once for my capabilities.
thanks again for the help.
Regards
Peter