Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 15-04-2018, 11:23 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsShed View Post
When I started out a few years ago the first eyepiece I bought was a Baader Hyperion Zoom. Absolute best choice I could have made. I now have various Pentax XWs, Delos, and Ethos, and that Baader still gets regular use, eg last night viewing Saturn, Jupiter, and Mars. Highly recommended.
That zoom eyepiece is another great choice when on a budget, should have enough reach for planets at 81x and still wide enough for things like M42/Eta Carinae etc...
Old 15-04-2018, 12:07 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

The thing that must be remembered here is his scope is F5 and that will challenge all but the best eyepieces to perform well ,Looking at the scopes that are used with the Baader zoom are F7.5 and slower so it will perform well ,F5 is a different story and we must remember that this iis member is extending his arm for advice from people like us who have made lots of mistakes buying and selling eyepieces,The immersive views of the 13 Nagler is worth the price of admission for someone starting out and will be excellent up to F4 and better and you may ask why i have not still got mine they call it a 13 Ethos but i do not think he wants to spend $900 bucks at the moment.....

Last edited by ab1963; 15-04-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 15-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
The thing that must be remembered here is his scope is F5 and that will challenge all but the best eyepieces to perform well ,Looking at the scopes that are used with the Baader zoom are F7.5 and slower so it will perform well ,F5 is a different story and we must remember that this iis member is extending his arm for advice from people like us who have made lots of mistakes buying and selling eyepieces,The immersive views of the 13 Nagler is worth the price of admission for someone starting out and will be excellent up to F4 and better and you may ask why i have not still got mine they call it a 13 Ethos but i do not think he wants to spend $900 bucks at the moment.....
I think it would be important for Matthew to try before shelling out the $$$.
I had the Nagler 13T6, then sold it for the Ethos 13, but in the end that too went in favour of the Delos 14 which is going to be a keeper...
For me the Delos is the right AFoV, sharpness, eye relief .......

My advice to Matthew is to wait and consider how long he will be happy to use the little Heritage 130P as I have found that many inexperienced users often don't notice/value the change in eyepiece quality anywhere near as much as the change in aperture to something like an 8" F6 scope...
Old 15-04-2018, 01:43 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I think it would be important for Matthew to try before shelling out the $$$.
I had the Nagler 13T6, then sold it for the Ethos 13, but in the end that too went in favour of the Delos 14 which is going to be a keeper...
For me the Delos is the right AFoV, sharpness, eye relief .......

My advice to Matthew is to wait and consider how long he will be happy to use the little Heritage 130P as I have found that many inexperienced users often don't notice/value the change in eyepiece quality anywhere near as much as the change in aperture to something like an 8" F6 scope...
I understand the concept of a change of scope but the advice he is asking for at the moment is eyepieces that will inprove his experience and you know as well as myself Matt if he pays $300 for the Nagler and doesn't like it which i wouldn't understand he will get every penny back if he chooses to sell ,Some of us have deep pockets some don't and all i am saying is that at this point in time the Nagler at the price is the way to go for him.......
Old 15-04-2018, 08:25 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanster99 View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. I’ve recently been offered an 18mm and 11mm TV Delite at a reduced price to new. Do you think these would be good buys for my f5 heritage 130p?
Delites are nice EPs, are relatively lightweight and are a major advance of the basic EPs that are supplied with the Heritage scope.

I expect that most users would be happy with them and will still be handy if U do go for a larger scope later on.