Old 12-11-2018, 08:38 PM
carlstronomy (Carl)

SN-10 Collimation

Hopefully someone here maybe able to explain as I am a little confused at present. I have a Schmidt Newtonian - Meade SN10 which I have owned for sometime now. I have just upgraded the front gaskets to tighten the secondary as it rotated and also fitted a Moonlite focuser. I have been struggling with getting a good collimation and have now stopped using my laser and used the peep hole method which I used successfully before the focuser upgrade.

The white paper behind the secondary to set the distance for the corrector plate method is what has confused me. With the moonlite fitted the white paper method shows a larger area than originally which is is understandable as the draw tube no longer goes into the tube as far. But to get the white paper even the offset for me is away from the corrector plate not closer as written in most procedures.

I have tonight even though the seeing is average been able to get nice round stars. Also a defocus on the star is fairly good (95%). As far as I know this is not supposed to happen due to where my secondary is situated. If I move the secondary closer to the corrector plate where it should be my results are poor.

When I set up the moonlite I used the laser and on the opposite side and made sure it was setup, so I do not think there is an issue there. Everything seems good I just have reverse results to what I should.

Is this a problem or should I just say if it ain't broke don't fix it?