Old 13-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Those VR headsets...

I looked at one of these this week - I see where the iPhone fits at the front, but for the life of me I can't see how an average pair of eyes can focus on a phone screen just inches in front of the head!!!!
I'm obviously missing a critical detail - can you help explain??
Old 13-11-2018, 10:12 AM
blink138 (Pat)

i think it tricks the brain into looking to infinity ken? being 3d it has already got depth
pat
Old 13-11-2018, 10:18 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
I looked at one of these this week - I see where the iPhone fits at the front, but for the life of me I can't see how an average pair of eyes can focus on a phone screen just inches in front of the head!!!!
I'm obviously missing a critical detail - can you help explain??
Hi Merlin,
Yes they use some simple lenses (or atleast one I have here does). It provided a good 3D effect when fed with a split screen/twin(bino) eye type video. There are a few examples of such videos on youtube.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 13-11-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 13-11-2018, 10:50 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

They're a good idea. I've recently had a minor research grant approved to develop a filming and teaching routine using these (and relevant cameras).

They follow the "Google Cardboard" concept. The camera tools I'll be using are the "LucidCam", and "Kula Deeper". It is hoped that viewing practical instruction in stereoscopic 3D will improve student learning in Surgery, Anatomy, and Clinical skills.

The basic format of video is "Side by Side Stereoscopic". When you choose a viewing device, make sure your phone fits in the frame before purchase. That's the first trap. Alternatively, an "Oculus Go" is a self contained equivalent, that requires no phone.

We have a HTC Vive (a real VR set) at work, that I've been responsible for. I've been trying to find some spare time to install "Universal Sandbox2"... But too much going on.

Fun times
Old 13-11-2018, 11:17 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Work like an eyepiece, in that it magnifies, and allows you to focus on, an image just mm from your eye. Electronic viewfinders on some cameras (and many pre digital video cams) are another example.
Old 13-11-2018, 03:58 PM
silv (Annette)

Quote:
It is hoped that viewing practical instruction in stereoscopic 3D will improve student learning in Surgery, Anatomy, and Clinical skills.
Great! I think so. There'll be "types of brains" or types of learners who are fine with learning from 2D information like the one we've been fed since the 90s' personal computer revolution. Other types benefit from or need the immersive experience to store the information in their memory circuitry. "Being there", best even manipulating the visual info with a glove maybe, making it a spacial experience of their body and mind.

The devices today, I believe, with ever smaller screens, amputate areas of the brains of types of perceptions/learners/brains. (Leading to, I believe, psychological issues, as well).
Just the haptic 3D-experience of handling a book rather than a 5-9" device, with the pages count growing thinner on the left side, growing on the right side, making it*lighter and heavier respectively, aides storing the information. Static layout/formatting of the handled paper pages aides memorising orientation in the book and photographic memory.
Giving the brain a better clue that one book is different form the other also helps separating and storing information. I think.

Since there's no going back into the paper book world, adding other spacial experiences during lessons/information uptake will help the different types of brains/learners.

Cute cameras you are privileged to handle in your project.

I think, editing one's DSO pictures for creating 2 almost identical slideshows, shifting the pictures in one slightly to the side, , - and then looking at the slideshow through Google Cardbox-type thingies would create a wonderful new experience of one's own creations, too.
Old 13-11-2018, 05:21 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
<lots of good wisdom>
Hello Annette,

Great points, all of them. I agree that it's the twilight of paper books (at least in our Medical curriculum here). And with that change, something is lost. Reflective research will be done - I'd be interested to follow some balanced investigation into that.

One thing that I agree with in this transition, is the big cut in textbook expenses for students. All these online systems and content cost money, but need only be done once. Subsequent copies are free (obvious statement). High textbook costs (some fields in particular) have worked against accessibility. I hope we're helping in this aspect.

In a time of big cuts to our sector, I consider it a privilege that my employer has invested a few thousand in this experiment.

As you hinted, some people can "flesh out" a 2D illustration into the 3D space of their mind - and some can't. If I can prevent a single student from having to repeat a year, this experiment has paid for itself. In reality, I think the result will be more qualitative along some/most of the cohort.

In regards to Astro, I've found IIS to be a great help to my work. Some AP threads have proven relevant to the CMOS cameras mounted on our microscopes here. I've managed to solve some issues in-house, from what this place has taught me
Old 13-11-2018, 10:20 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

There's one big problem with the VR headsets.
No-one has, yet, considered starting on standards for an interfaced control system for smartphones.
There's the cheap VR headsets, that are for all intents and purposes a smartphone equivalent of a GAF ViewMaster. No controls at all.
There's the Google v2 Cardboard capacitive single touch through conductor. But that only works if the document viewer has been designed to work with the Google Cardboard drivers.
There's the Samsung Galaxy VR. Very device specific, direct interface to certain models of Samsung Galaxy phones. 8-way joypad on the headset.
There's the more-expensive no-names, with their Bluetooth controller.
And then there's stuff like Oculus and HTC Vive.
None of it works with each other, so what media is created, has to be done for a specific headset, and won't work on any other.

What's needed is standardized physical handheld controls, and smartphone dock drivers with standardized on-headset controls.
If you have Android, you buy a USB-C headset. If Apple, Lightning. Same basic headset and handheld controller, just different connector and driver. And any content will work properly on any headset.

Yeah, I KNOW it's dreaming, but it's something I'd love to see.