Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 18-04-2018, 08:09 AM
jbdave (David)

Ok, the sledghammer almost came out last night...Help !

I am getting frustrated. So very frustrated.

I set up an 8 inch newt in the backyard of my old house, and took some decent images., albeit with only 20-30 seconds. I am guessing my polar alignment was a fluke more than anything.

Fast forward a few months and I have moved house. Now no matter what I do, I cannot get an image of 20+ seconds without star trails. 8"newt fail, ED80 fail. Nothing.

For the past few days I have been screwing around with everything and anything. Here is my procedure:

1. Set up tripod with compass directing true south.
2. Level tripod
3. Fix mount to tripod. Use clinometer to get approx latitude.
4. Attach telescope and balance everything.
5. drift align for a bit, and notice stars don't really move off line
6. Try and take photo and remove camera after trails are evident
7. Try the DARV method and with 1 min exposures showing nice clean lines with no movement (I know not long but I am only after 30 seconds exposures here for photography).
8. Try another shot. Trails again.
9. Punch fence, and walk inside to get a drink.
10. Come back out with laptop, guide camera and all the cables i hate setting up.
11. Run PHD, and undertake drift align. Get pissed when EQMOD stops tracking at random for some unknown reason.
12. Monitor tracking and make sure it stays on. Get that stupid line pretty straight, albeit slightly up and down but within 1 arc minute. Then I run it again where the line appears to do what it wants (and I'm making sure I am not tracking on a hot pixel).
13. Run it about 390 more times to make sure I was not seeing things. Confirmation that I wasn't seeing things. The line isn't consistent.
14. Try to take another shot as it's getting late and I'm cold and frustrated. Guiding is on via PHD.
15. Scream when guiding does **** and I was doing better without it.
16. Take another photo just to make sure the astro fairy hasn't magically set up my scope properly in between steps 14 and 16.
17. Pack up scope and cover up mount. Go to bed trying not to wake the wife and kids and I stomp down the hallway like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum.
18. Wake up and post on Ice In Space so I can get advice and go screw it up all over again tonight.....you know, when the clouds roll in.

So there you have it. I guess my imaging at my old place was more of a fluke than anything as I was quite happy with some of the images.
Could my mount be an issue ?
Does it need a service or a tip run ?
Am I meant to be going loopy ?

Sorry for the long post, but I am about to throw it all in, and I'm not going to continue a hobby where it takes me 3 days to set up in a new location...

PS: I am heading off out bush for the weekend. I was considering taking the scope, but am concerned it may end up getting thrown in the Murray River. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited by jbdave; 18-04-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 18-04-2018, 08:12 AM
jbdave (David)

FYI - I am using an ED80 with an 80mm guidescope attached on a HEQ5 Pro mount.

I also have an 8" newt that I use, without guidscope.
Old 18-04-2018, 09:06 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I seem to be going thru a similar frustration so lets blame the gear☺
I drift align and all seems good and I also take time exposures with mount stationary and the scope in home position and I line up to have the center in the middle of the camera viewing frame...this has always worked for me but not now...
One thing I am thinking is the level bubble is somehow off as it shows level but standing back and looking at the mount it does not seem level so I am today looking for a spirit level to provide a better measure.
I have even thought the ground could be subsiding and maybe this is close to the truth in so far as the mount is on some paver bricks placed on the lawn and maybe the grass is still compacting and there is movement in that area.

Also make sure all adjustment knobs are snug and when adjustment complete make sure its opposite is seated so nothing can move.

In any event stay calm and know you are not the only one having such frustrations.
Anyways if 30 shows trails go down to 20 seconds and if thats too long drip again.
One positive from such an approach was I got to do short exposure and high iso that turned out very well....so you can bet when we find we dont need polar to be perfect it will some how become cured
Good luck.
Alex
Old 18-04-2018, 09:17 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdave View Post

I set up an 8 inch newt in the backyard of my old house, and took some decent images., albeit with only 20-30 seconds. I am guessing my polar alignment was a fluke more than anything.

Fast forward a few months and I have moved house. Now no matter what I do, I cannot get an image of 20+ seconds without star trails. 8"newt fail, ED80 fail. Nothing.

For the past few days I have been screwing around with everything and anything. Here is my procedure:

2. Level tripod
7. Try the DARV method and with 1 min exposures showing nice clean lines with no movement (I know not long but I am only after 30 seconds exposures here for photography).
10. Come back out with laptop, guide camera and all the cables i hate setting up.
11. Run PHD, and undertake drift align. Get pissed when EQMOD stops tracking at random for some unknown reason.
12. Monitor tracking and make sure it stays on. Get that stupid line pretty straight, albeit slightly up and down but within 1 arc minute. Then I run it again where the line appears to do what it wants (and I'm making sure I am not tracking on a hot pixel).
13. Run it about 390 more times to make sure I was not seeing things. Confirmation that I wasn't seeing things. The line isn't consistent.
14. Try to take another shot as it's getting late and I'm cold and frustrated. Guiding is on via PHD.
15. Scream when realising tracking does **** and I was doing better without it.
16. Take another photo just to make sure the astro fairy hasn't magically set up my scope properly in between steps 14 and 16.
17. Pack up scope and cover up mount. Go to bed trying not to wake the wife and kids and I stomp down the hallway like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum.
18. Wake up and post on Ice In Space so I can get advice and go screw it up all over again tonight.....you know, when the clouds roll in.

So there you have it. I guess my imaging at my old place was more of a fluke than anything as I was quite happy with some of the images.

Sorry for the long post, but I am about to throw it all in, and I'm not going to continue a hobby where it takes me 3 days to set up in a new location...

PS: I am heading off out bush for the weekend. I was considering taking the scope, but am concerned it may end up getting thrown in the Murray River. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
EQMOD stops tracking for some reason......Do you have "mount limits' enabled in the EQMOD menu? If that's a yes I'd guess that's the issue with the tracking stopping, I had the same problem.

You're obviously running a laptop.....if possible try and get a copy of Sharpcap and use their polar align tool (if you can get version 2.9 it's free). I faced the same issues as you with PA until I used Sharpcap.....with it I can get within seconds of the pole in less than 10 minutes
Old 18-04-2018, 09:17 AM
astro_nutt

Hi David. Been there done that, but I have learned a few things about mounts so....
Sometimes I set up everything in my room during the day, and let it run, then check to see HOW it performs. Mostly, I find constant power supply to be the culprit. I check it by plugging in a lamp and watch to see it dulls n the fridge kicks in. Next is the mount itself, check for any stiction, stiffness, backlash, etc. Do you have enough weight bias on the drive so the drive is "pushing' the scope. Next is the scope. Focuser slack, primary, secondary mirrors loose. Last is the tripod. Nice and tight, pegged into the ground, etc.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Old 18-04-2018, 10:28 AM
John5 (John)

Hi David et al,
Being in the middle of my own learning curve, I can really empathize with you!!

You mention using a compass to find South. I eventually decided that I did not trust cheap compasses or down loaded apps, but finally used the vertical rod and ' sun at the zenith' method to mark out a true north-south line where I set up. A good spirit level and plumb bob is used to set the tripod up. Simple and effective. A good inclinometer app. makes sure the altitude setting is OK.From that point Sharpcap takes over though that is still in the learning phase atm.

Re power supplies, I do not know how sensitive the HEQ5 is to power fluctuations or how you power your mount. If you have a mains power supply and are in a rural area or have such things as a pressure pump/ pool pump that cycles on and off the mains voltage can vary (as per astro_nut's post). I use a jump starter unit from that cheap auto place to power my mount. Works fine and I can use it portable if I wish. It also has a 5v outlet for those usb powered things.

John5
Old 18-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Wavytone

Not properly polar aligned. Drift aligning has always struck me as a fudge, frankly, though some do manage to get it right.

I’ll suggest you buy a device such as the QHY Polemaster so that you will be able to align the mount with total certainty in future. Or insert a laser pointer in the polar axis to see where it’s actually pointing vs the location of the SCP.
Old 18-04-2018, 11:57 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdave View Post

2. Level tripod
15. Scream when guiding does **** and I was doing better without it.

I had similar issues.. i'm not expert at all infact I am a beginner myself.I'm not sure if it is gear related or what for you, but for me, i bit the bullet and got myself a polemaster and I can polar align in literally 2 minutes when facing my mount in a general south direction given to me by my cheap compass. without guiding I can take up to 120 second exposures without star trail with my ED80. Before making this purchase, for months I was struggling with PA but now I couldn't think of not having the polemaster.

Not sure if the pole is obstructed for you, which would leave the polemaster out of question, but if not, I highly recommend investing in it as it has saved me countless hours.
Old 18-04-2018, 02:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

How does Polemaster work or rather does it have its own program and shows a target on screen?
Alex
Old 18-04-2018, 02:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Dont worry I found all I needed on utube.
Alex
Old 18-04-2018, 04:30 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Dont worry I found all I needed on utube.
Alex
Yeah everything you need is on youtube, but yeah all you need to do is identify sigma octantis on screen and the stars surrounding it to fit the outline on the screen and just follow the prompts for an extremely accurate alignment. It is pricey, but honestly, the money spent is worth it for the time saved.
Old 18-04-2018, 05:04 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have been thinking about this...my method of capturing star trails is really the same in principle...all I need check is that the polar scope and the mounted scope point at the same spot , again as maybe something has changed, but next time I will use the enlargement feature to examine my star trails, as in reflection I could be more precise.
It should work and I can save some cash even if it may take a little longer.
Really it should be more precise as you are working with a larger scope...anyways the rain has set in for a week an a half which takes us to more Moonlight than one would like.
Alex
Old 18-04-2018, 05:24 PM
Scorpius (Dave)

Throw away all ya guidance systems and fancy software tools. Go back to basics. Been ages since I popped up on here, but my method which has worked now for many years:
Using a reasonable GPS and find the real True North and mark the main compass points on your patio/area floor. Most Equatorial Mounts have a calibrated scale. Set it to your correct location on Earth, confirm with a certified engineers inclometer. You now have your scope positioning settings. (I have never used Octans nor the built in prisms because that area of the sky is blocked by my house - I live in a small home unit with no real estate)
One essential tool is a laser guided collmination tool they are cheap, because you can be rest assured your collmination shifts every time to mount/unmount your scope.
Initially set up your scope accurately paying attention to date/time. Always start from the PARK position and do a minimum of 2 star alignment.
If you have an EQ6Pro Mount by Skywatcher, select a subject from the menu, if you have done all the aforegoing, you should be within cooee of the subject when you "goto"
Another very useful device is the latest red dot (LED) finders, they are designed like a rifle scope thus you can see "outside" the viewing ring. Something you cannot do using "scope" type finder. I replaced all of mine.

Right you're looking at Saturn or Jupiter now sitting dead centre in your plossl - What's the issue now? Out of focus? well just focus, unless you have a load of faulty equipment there should be no issues.

When all else fails go back to basics. Even check out your scope in daylight, focusing on a terrestrial subject. (WARNING Never allow the scope to go anywhere near the position of the sun without certified filters installed - Failing that keep the cap on scope).

Many years ago I started the hard way, building my own DOB from old 2nd hand parts, that and my other stuff is on my web page (Down at the moment, need to port forward as we have just had NBN connected - I leave that sort of stuff to my son!)

One Question? What method are you using to take photos? Essentially you should be using a DSLR in Prime focus. Camera etc?? (Prime focus is when you use the scopes optics and no lens on the camera).
I am happy to discuss things via PM. Also an ex Member of ASWA.

G'Day to the old timers I knew Am now approaching 83.

Last edited by Scorpius; 18-04-2018 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Correction of memory lapse :)
Old 18-04-2018, 05:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Dave
Wonderful to hear from you and thank you for all your advice.
However I changed tack and just now ordered one of these polemasters cameras.
It is the first thing I have ever purchased on the net which I did via pay pal.
Probably not good that I have learnt to do this as I have a feeling I could go on a buying spree...
Hope you get your web site up again.
My equipment is..80 mm triplet and a f5 eight inch reflector and a permanent eq6 mount in Sydney and a HEQ5 which I bring up North to Tabulam a nice dark location ...I use a Nikon DSLR camera model D5500 which has 24 meg.
Due to not dialing in a decent polar align I have been capturing objects using 30 second exposures mostly at 1600 iso.
I suppose I should have asked this first but were you asking me about what gear I used or were you asking David the author of the original post in this thread?
Alex
Old 18-04-2018, 07:57 PM
John5 (John)

Thank you Dave.

Although I am a real newbie I think my method echoes yours. I tried the cheapo compass, the compass app. on the wally-phone and the dodgy altitude scale on the HEQ5, the unfathomable/ unuseable polar scope and a professional GPS unit. Finally, a combination of the basics and a couple of modern tools ( Sharpcap and an inclonometer app) along with a simple spirit level and plumbob gave me success.

No wonder we newbies tie ourselves in knots. There is so much info out there that it is both a good and bad thing - I believe that in many endeavors we do need to remember basic principles and let our learning grow from there. However, modern tools are fine to use if we remember they are just that - tools. We still need the understanding of their use.

John5
Old 18-04-2018, 08:20 PM
redbeard (Damien)

When setting up, a compass will only get you close to be polar aligned as you know.

What method are you using to adjust the mount to align more tightly?
I ask as you mention drift align, but you have not mentioned what you do to fine tune things. Are you actually adjusting the mount manually, (not with the hand controller etc), to get closer polar alignment, or are you using some other method?

I'm sure between all of us, you'll get the help you need.

Cheers,

Damien.
Old 19-04-2018, 12:22 AM
raymo

If you are following the DARV instructions to the letter, and the stars return
accurately along their original lines for 30 secs, when using an ED80 at prime focus, then your problem is unlikely to be poor polar alignment. To narrow down the possibilities take some very short exposures and see when trailing appears.
If it appears almost immediately, say after 6 or 7 seconds, then its definitely not a PA problem.
Firstly, don't balance the scope precisely; balance it a bit against the drive to eliminate any gear backlash, and try an exposure.
Secondly, do some exposures, say 15-30-45-60secs. Does the trailing in
the 30-45 and 60 subs equal approximately 2x-3x and 4x the trailing in the 15sec sub, or does nearly all of the trailing happen during the first 10 sec sub? If the latter, then it would seem that there is some slop somewhere in the drive train. That's a couple of things to check to start with, good luck.
raymo
Old 19-04-2018, 05:15 AM
Scorpius (Dave)

Talking My 5 cents worth

Hi Alex, good to 'see ya' agn! Mainly my post was directed to David, he with the sledgehammer.. I think we have all been through issues with Astronomy and things not going right, I was no exception back in 2005 when I became interested in Astronomy. Initially I was interested in the engineering side of things and making my own equipment and did many experiments, luckily having a friend who had a professional CNC mill, who did some very fine work modifying focusers etc. Hopefully my son will be up soon and fix my router and you will be able to see my Astro page and the many other hobbies I have been involved in.

I will elaborate on a few things, but basically my advice to all new comers is to Buy, Steal, Borrow as many books as you get away with, visit your library, subscribe to a Magazine or even join a local Astro club.

As members have said there is a wealth of information on line which is free and readily available. Get a good grasp of the basics and what terms mean, they will answer many of your questions.

Seeing Just as it says, how well you can see the subject, if the 'seeing' is bad, then the best scope in the world will not fix it. This is the condition of the atmosphere, which around the world is deteriorating at a rapid rate. My colleague Ray Palmer, who runs "My Astro Space Astronomy" website, has said that in Western Australia, conditions have been so bad he has not even attempted to take any Deep Sky photos. Myself out of interest purchased from EBay one of those $50 mini gold cams that plug into the focuser and connected it to a 10" monitor. This cam has a huge magnification factor and took both stills and a movie of a section of the moon. It was shocking it was like looking through a flowing stream of water, with the section of the moon bouncing around. The results are published on the MASA forum site.
So, if your seeing is not good and in general reports from Eastern States of Australia and from the UK are that over the past 12 months it has not been good. WA has suffered from continuous cloud forming offshore and drifting over land for many months -- Most un-nice!.

Compasses I almost cringe when I hear people using a compass, be it a an el cheapo from China or Certified Ships compass. No matter where you are they do not point True North! They are affected by surrounding metalic things like sheds, cars even the very scope and mount you are using. Also they are affected by the very earth's magnetism known as 'deviation' this changes for every part of the world and Navigators of old had to have correction charts to make adjustments. GPS is the only way to accurately find True North. As is said mark the Cardinal points on the ground at home where you set up your mount.

Calibration Unless you calibrate and ensure your mount is correctly positioned, you are wasting your time. Pages have been written on the subject, learn the theory and how it works, then you will understand how accurate position, timing etc affects the results of your observations and photos. This is why it is handy to have a laptop/tablet/mobile phone to receive an accurate time standard.
I guide my EQ6PRO using a Dell 1500 series laptop and Stellarium, I can use it in 'actual' or simulation mode and works very well. Recently after being inactive for quite some time I setup my 10" dob on the EQ6 and for a while I could not work out why the scope was going in the wrong direction and trying to wrap itself around the legs of the mount!! Then I recalled before I put it in storage I had cleaned the electronics board, greased the gears. I had also reversed the plugs to the stepper motors ALT and AZ. (They now have labels on the plugs!)

Drift Alignment Requires a special plossl with illuminated cross hatch of an LED. The principal is to measure the amount of movement of a subject within the centre of the crosshatch and make compensation of the physical settings of the scope. It is a refinement of 2 or 3 star alignment, It is a complex subject and one should refer to sources on line as to its full application.

When all else fails Remember even NASA got it all horribly wrong in the initial stages of the Hubble Telescope, costing millions to fix. So have faith in yourself and your scope. Its fine to have guidance systems and accessories, but first make sure the basic functions work first and add slowly any new improvements.

A final comment when using a Digital Camera try and avoid jacking up the ISO. 100 to 400 is fine - The bigger the ISO number the greater the deterioration of quality, it works on the same principle as film a low ASA gives you a finer grain. With an accurately guided scope you will not end up with images of stars looking like Comets!

Astronomy is a fascinating hobby, it can also be a very frustrating one and the learning curve is steep. Read, and read again, practice in daylight in setting up your equipment and using it, including taking photos of trees and subjects some distance away. If it bothers you taking photos upside down use an erecting plossl - Clear skies

Dave
Old 19-04-2018, 02:33 PM
jbdave (David)

Thanks for all the advice.
I am going to get out again tonight (weather permitting) and try a few things.

I'll report back !
Old 19-04-2018, 05:49 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Dave,

I'm only 18 months into the hobby

Most times I get within 1 arc minute of PA which allows me to take at least 60 to 90 second exposures without star trails

I dont use a PC with guiding software or a guide scope etc.. old school

My kit - 150mm F6 reflector OTA
HEQ5 mount with Synscan
Canon 600D unmodified
Orion 20mm 70deg illuminated reticle eye piece used for alignment

PA Method

Forget compasses waist of time IMO , I use Stellarium software to find the noon meridian (time where sun is directly overhead and in line with SCP )

Level a 1m long x 12mm diameter piece of timber dowel at 90deg to the ground , driveway or paved area ( use string and weights as guy ropes to anchor the timber dowel at 90deg )

At exactly noon meridian time mark the shadow cast by the timber dowel at base of timber dowel and 500mm out along shadow ( line to be exactly in centre line of shadow ) This line will give you True South ( closer than any compass magnetic declination method - provided you are accurate with levelling and marking )

I set up my tripod mount along this line using a plumb bob and piece of aluminium angle ( once again as accurately as you can)

Level your mount

Set your latitiude ( I use a quality digital inclinometer ,not the crappy scale on the mount )

Balance your scope

Carry out a 2 star alignment as per Synscan manual ( use 2 stars same side of meridian not to far apart ) I used Hadar and Acrux last night

Then carry out a Polar alignment using method in Synscan manual section 11.3 page 36

Repeat 2 star alignment and polar alignment at least 2 or 3 times

You will get close to PA

Remember when using the Synscan to finish with the Up then Right direction keys when centering your stars

Also with the Orion 20mm illuminated reticle eye piece make sure you keep your head relaxed and still to ensure accurate alignment each time in the centre of FOV. I have astigmatism in my right eye so I use my left eye for star centering

I did struggle for months but take your time and be as accurate as you can and Im sure it will all work out for you

Best of Luck

Martin