Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 08-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Gnat (Natalie)

Motel-O-Scope as an observatory

This looks like an alternative as well. Would need careful homework to see if suits instead of roll away observatory and if materials are found here as it only supplies USA stockists. Good for small spaces like mine. http://pierplates.com/motel.html
Old 09-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Wavytone

Interesting idea... my only concern would be the possibility of a snake moving in... lifting the top off to be confronted by one angry brown would not be nice...
Old 09-03-2018, 04:14 PM
doppler (Rick)

Some people have gone with one of these for a quick and cheap fix. http://abscosheds.com.au/pool-pump/p...52md-x-1-49mh/
https://www.google.com/search?biw=14...BeQOeS7XxTSgM:
Old 09-03-2018, 04:42 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Hi Gnat - Natalie,
Them pier motel scope covers are good, Tho I considered by looking at them the initial 'Pro's & Con's:
One + with it being, they appear to work very well for the Alt-Az fork mount on the wedge, but --->
Two - is, I would check further if using a EQ Mount, reason being that using an EQ mount tends to turn your scope in a vertical position, therefore would hit the Base Plate ? I havent seen one in use, but I'd be pretty confident in saying that an EQ mounted scope would or at least, very likely come into contact with it,,,

Just my thoughts, I know not which mount you have ?
Just my 'Bob's worth :-)
Good Luck ....
Old 09-03-2018, 11:39 PM
Gnat (Natalie)

Thanks for the info. guys. Welcome pros and cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Hi Gnat - Natalie,
Them pier motel scope covers are good, Tho I considered by looking at them the initial 'Pro's & Con's:
One + with it being, they appear to work very well for the Alt-Az fork mount on the wedge, but --->
Two - is, I would check further if using a EQ Mount, reason being that using an EQ mount tends to turn your scope in a vertical position, therefore would hit the Base Plate ? I havent seen one in use, but I'd be pretty confident in saying that an EQ mounted scope would or at least, very likely come into contact with it,,,

Just my thoughts, I know not which mount you have ?
Just my 'Bob's worth :-)
Good Luck ....
Old 09-03-2018, 11:58 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I made a similar one a few years back. I have all good things to say about the method, with only one negative. Not the best if you live in a rental. Even though it was considered to make it movable, it never really worked in that respect.

I have a series of images of the build on my google drive - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ICIWeXCpuxRA2vrh2
Old 10-03-2018, 06:04 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

I also liked the look of the miniature astrodome: http://astrodomes.com/services/
But Owen said it’s only an idea and would likely end up costing almost as much as a full size Nexdome to put into production.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:12 AM
DarkArts

I think you can make that work for an EQ mount. In fact, it's got me thinking of using it myself .... though I may need to mess with the design for my C14/G11 combo. Here's a picture of it in use with an EQ mounted SCT:

http://www.pierplates.com/image/Cust_lk_large.jpg
Old 11-03-2018, 10:18 PM
DarkArts

So, I liked Nat's idea so much (well, her conveyance of it) that I've been messing about with the design of a Motel-o-Scope all day.

The design isn't finished yet, and differs a bit from the original, but all the required parts look to be easily available (e.g. from a certain big green hardware warehouse) and eBay in one case.

Total weight of the cover (the part a person has to lift) looks like it'll be ~10kg, so it's quite feasible.

And, after measuring everything, it looks like it'll cover a C14 on a G11 (or EQ8) with a few centimetres to spare.

Nat - thanks for posting - I think a Motel-o-Scope is the solution to my problem.
Old 13-03-2018, 10:32 PM
Gnat (Natalie)

No worries. Stewarts supply (aircraft supply place) is also in Australia so you can do the Dacron coating if you want as well.
Still not sure if it will work with my scope as the tube is 1m long and at zenith the tube is 50 cm off the ground...so I would need to put the tray low down on the pier. Mine is a Schmidt-Newtonian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
So, I liked Nat's idea so much (well, her conveyance of it) that I've been messing about with the design of a Motel-o-Scope all day.

The design isn't finished yet, and differs a bit from the original, but all the required parts look to be easily available (e.g. from a certain big green hardware warehouse) and eBay in one case.

Total weight of the cover (the part a person has to lift) looks like it'll be ~10kg, so it's quite feasible.

And, after measuring everything, it looks like it'll cover a C14 on a G11 (or EQ8) with a few centimetres to spare.

Nat - thanks for posting - I think a Motel-o-Scope is the solution to my problem.
Old 14-03-2018, 05:57 AM
DarkArts

I figure I'd use mylar space blanket for the coating, which is dirt cheap off eBay. (Dacron, as it turns out, is a brand name for polyester, the fabric version of PET. Mylar is also a form of PET.)

My (hack at) design is a bit taller at 1400mm, but smaller in other dimensions. I also designed a two-piece cover version that could be made taller still and could be used with a platform set very low ... and I might end up going that way myself ... so no doubt you could do the same if you wanted.
Old 14-03-2018, 09:56 PM
Gnat (Natalie)

Thanks.
[QUOTE=DarkArts;1362806]I figure I'd use mylar space blanket for the coating, which is dirt cheap off eBay. (Dacron, as it turns out, is a brand name for polyester, the fabric version of PET. Mylar is also a form of PET.)

My (hack at) design is a bit taller at 1400mm, but smaller in other dimensions. I also designed a two-piece cover version that could be made taller still and could be used with a platform set very low ... and I might end up going that way myself ... so no doubt you could do the same if you wanted.[/QUOTE]
Old 14-03-2018, 10:40 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
Thinking of that Abbsco now, for my AVX and in my backyard in Concord Rick..cheers...All great ideas for future reference.

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 14-03-2018 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 20-01-2020, 04:14 PM
DarkArts

I still haven't got around to making that Motel-o-Scope .... and after today's humongous hail, I think I'm going to go with something more solid. Pity, as the Motel-o-Scope was pretty cool.