Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 29-03-2017, 02:48 AM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Peter
Obviously I can only talk about my personal experience with Bintel which has been excellent. And I will point out that there is no legislation that dictates how long a product must be supported for. Australian Consumer law only requires that it be "fit for purpose" of "acceptable quality" and "match the description" or "match the sample or demonstration model" see here http://consumerlaw-staging.tspace.go...antees_web.pdf . My comments about Bintel and Celestron were merely to indicate the current situation regarding the Celestron situation in Australia. Obviously if Glen has an issue with a product his first port of call must be to the retailer that sold it to him.
First, I am glad you had such a wonderful experience in Bintel. I simply state that not everyone has that experience. I certainly will never recommend them, or even deal with them, even if the were the only I could get stuff, and that is also from my experiences.

As to the second point, but what you say isn't entirely correct;

Australian Consumer Law Section 58 (b) below. A manufacturer has to keep parts for reasonable period of time. I am no lawyer, so do not know what a reasonable time period means, but nevertheless a requirement to keep parts does exist.

See section (b) below:

Guarantee as to repairs and spare parts

(1) If:

(a) a person supplies, in trade or commerce, goods to a consumer; and

(b) the supply does not occur by way of sale by auction;

there is a guarantee that the manufacturer of the goods will take reasonable action to ensure that facilities for the repair of the goods, and parts for the goods, are reasonably available for a reasonable period after the goods are supplied.

(2) This section does not apply if the manufacturer took reasonable action to ensure that the consumer would be given written notice, at or before the time when the consumer agrees to the supply of the goods, that:

(a) facilities for the repair of the goods would not be available or would not be available after a specified period; or

(b) parts for the goods would not be available or would not be available after a specified period.
Closed Thread