ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-03-2017, 04:09 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Small Refractor choice

HI, I have some spare cash and thinking of adding a small refractor to my collection.Its a large and diverse market in this range but I really like the quality for price of the WO gear and considering either the ZenithStar 71mm f/5.9 Doublet ED or the GT71 71mm f/5.9 Apo Refractor Triplet.for a few hundred more. I already have C9.25 and C8 so looking to fill the gap in visual and AP. Anyone have any advice on alternative or review or maybe know of a 2nd hand to sell in this price/ size area, regards Brenton...
Old 24-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Hi Brenton,

Check out the Astronomy Technology Today magazine. The current issue has a write up on the Stellarvue SV70T. I got an SV70T late last year and it is a great little performer. I also have an Astro Tech 65 EDQ which is a good performer for the price, but they are often hard to get (I waited about 3-4 months for mine). The SV70T is considerable better in my view, and Stellarvue are a great company to deal with too.

Cheers Pete
Old 24-03-2017, 09:12 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

70mm is a bit smal for visual imo, doesn't do much for e -in that range i prefer binos, 80-85 is where it starts i reckon.

id get the triplet though, if choosing between the two,
Old 24-03-2017, 09:41 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Sharpstar?

Thnx Pete where'd you buy Stellarvue or Sharpstar in OZ? specs reviews and results seem very impressive for price and Dannat yea getting a good quality double or triplet with FPL-53 new around a grand is on the edge Id like at least an 80 for sure but up to 1k more in most instances. Im not in a great hurry and I don't wanna waste money on a "it'll do" so will keep looking and deciding perhaps something will come up on Classifieds, any other options or opinions are welcome, chrz...
Old 24-03-2017, 10:47 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowie View Post
Thnx Pete where'd you buy Stellarvue or Sharpstar in OZ? specs reviews and results seem very impressive for price and Dannat yea getting a good quality double or triplet with FPL-53 new around a grand is on the edge Id like at least an 80 for sure but up to 1k more in most instances. Im not in a great hurry and I don't wanna waste money on a "it'll do" so will keep looking and deciding perhaps something will come up on Classifieds, any other options or opinions are welcome, chrz...
Hi Brenton,

I bought the SV70T directly from Stellarvue and it arrived quickly, which is pretty normal for them, as Vic Maris gives great service. I buy a lot of stuff off them. I bought the Astro Tech from OPT in California, as they are my primary supplier. I only deal with companies who respect my business.

The SV70T is a nice size that will fit in a Pelican style case. Big difference in case size once you get over about 70mm. I have attached a picture of my AT65EDQ kit to give you an idea. I am having a new insert machined to take the SV70T and the AT65EDQ is being mounted permanently on top my observatory scope. To give you an idea I have also shown the case for an 80 ED I once had. I found it too big for grab-n-go, which is why I went the SV70T route. The AT65EDQ fits in the case with star diagonal on whereas the SV70T will fit without star diagonal on, but I could fit it diagonally; I haven't decided yet. At present my case guy is making my WO FLT110 case, so I have a week to make up my mind.

I also have a Vixen Porta II mount with JMI drives.

I hope that helps.

Cheers Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_9024.jpg)
44.0 KB71 views
Click for full-size image (20130602_81.JPG)
133.4 KB61 views

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 24-03-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 24-03-2017, 11:51 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Nice..

Thnx Pete, yes I see he ships direct freight seems Exxy but I presume it includes insurance etc. all up would be around $1400 aud which is good value Astronomy Alive has the 65 double for $799 and the 65 quad for $1079 they have some good press especially the quad or double double if you like, very nice build quality which I like, as I said I'm not in a dash about it so I'll digest some more, thnx for your time and info
Old 25-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Hi Brenton, I have replied to your PM.

Cheers Peter
Old 29-03-2017, 05:09 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Update..

So after some to and fro I have decided on the Sharpstar 65Quad from Astronomy Alive..

https://www.astronomyalive.com.au/te...telescope.html

Which is much the same as the AstroTech offering with a few differences Id imagine, a nicely priced and popular little all rounder with huge potential and will suit my foray into the wonderful world of refractors. I had considered a bit bigger as my starter and Cris from Astronomy Alive suggested this loverly new release CF-80 Triplet also a Sharpstar..

https://www.astronomyalive.com.au/sh...telescope.html

I would love one of these and might yet buy one as funds permit or maybe a larger William Optics APO but Im trying to keep to my initial mission of a small versatile APO with good credentials and price, Id like to thank MyAstroShop in Brisbane, Claude of AEC who rightfully suggested a TAK of course, Matthew from Telescopes and Astronomy in Adelaide and Cris from Astronomy Alive in Melbourne even AgenaAstro in US for their prompt correspondence regards product advice, no disrespect to the other Aus retailers but they jus didn't have what I was looking for brandwise. I won't thank a few other prominent US companies who couldn't be bothered to reply. Only a $1000 sale but everyone was helpful and not only from a sales standpoint, and big thanx to Stardrifter_WA for his valued experience and opinion, Regards Brenton...

I have no affiliation personal or otherwise with the above companies...

Last edited by dbowie; 29-03-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 31-03-2017, 05:38 AM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

Try also these guys: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...hp/language/en.
They have a huge range of 'scopes - many, though not all, re-badged from quality Chinese optics. Their 90mm f6.6 is a gem with rave reviews all over.
The service is excellent and I've never had a problem with returns or exchanges.
Also, they speak better English than I do.
Old 31-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxing_Gibbous View Post
Try also these guys: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...hp/language/en.
They have a huge range of 'scopes - many, though not all, re-badged from quality Chinese optics. Their 90mm f6.6 is a gem with rave reviews all over.
The service is excellent and I've never had a problem with returns or exchanges.
Also, they speak better English than I do.
I too have used Teleskop-express and found them to be very good, but sometimes a bit expensive, but if you can't it anywhere else, I guess you just have to pay that price. They are also good for parts, much better than most. The only issue I have is the cost of freight from Europe and the time it takes to get here, unless of course you use express freight, but that is exie. Freight is much cheaper from the US and most stuff come within a week.
Old 31-03-2017, 02:25 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

under a k

Yes I had a good look at these and they are on my future wishlist, some even look like rebranded WO or is it the other way round? I can't really tell its all been a blur, but ur right they look quality and have good reviews, the euro and pound are just a bit high compared to USD but they have some good triplet units just scraping in under 1k to avoid AU taxes, thnx
Old 31-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowie View Post
Yes I had a good look at these and they are on my future wishlist, some even look like rebranded WO or is it the other way round? I can't really tell its all been a blur, but ur right they look quality and have good reviews, the euro and pound are just a bit high compared to USD but they have some good triplet units just scraping in under 1k to avoid AU taxes, thnx
As I understand it, the Customs tax free threshold will be abolished on the 1st July 2017. They still haven't said how they intend to collect the tax on all items. So don't be surprised if they charge you tax on any amount under $1,000 after July.