Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-02-2017, 12:44 PM
imhimmelkommter (Michael Toms)

Uni-polar stepper motor electronic question

I am hoping someone on Ice In Space can help with a question to run a uni-polar stepper motor. The motor is 12VDC 3 Watts which would take 250mA. I would need to use limiting current resistors that 250mA is all that can be drawn by the motor. Some circuits I've seen have a formulae to use R (resistance in ohms) = Voltage of motor minus rated winding voltage (four windings) / Rated winding current. I guess the resistor to use would be 24 ohms at 3 watts each, would that be correct??

Can I join the two supplies as seen at the top of the circuit in red to use the one source for the 5 Volt regulator and the 12V to supply the motor.

I hope someone can help. Clear skies, Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (pcb270217.jpg)
53.5 KB43 views
Old 28-02-2017, 01:02 PM
bojan
amateur

Yes, you can join those power supplies together... however do not connect more than 30V, as this is the voltage limit for IC1.
You do not need resistors if you use 12V.... because 24ohm is the internal resistance of the motor winding.

However, if you use higher voltage, then for every volt above 12V you should use 4ohms... or thereabouts.
For example, if you have 15V, this is 3V above 12, your resistor should be 3V/250mA = 12ohms.

Last edited by bojan; 28-02-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 28-02-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Yes, you can join those power supplies together... however do not connect more than 30V, as this is the voltage limit for IC1.
You do not need resistors if you use 12V.... because 24ohm is the internal resistance of the motor winding.

However, if you use higher voltage, then for every volt above 12V you should use 4ohms... or thereabouts.
For example, if you have 15V, this is 3V above 12, your resistor should be 3V/250mA = 12ohms.
Thanks Bo Jan.
Old 28-02-2017, 07:47 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

You can also ignore the center taps and connect a bipolar driver to the ends of the coils. Some unipolar stepper wires have 8 wires because the coils are separated In this case you have to join the coils to make them behave like a bipolar motor. Then you can use one of the popular bipolar drives such as the Stepstick or Easydriver.

Joe
Old 07-03-2017, 09:07 PM

IC 4093 floating pins!

A small, little question? Do I let the pins 1, 2 & 3 float connected to nothing or do I connect it to ground. All the other pins are connected to other parts of a circuit, but I am curious what do I do with pins that I am not using? Using a 4093 CMOS IC. The chip is part of a stepper motor circuit I am using.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (4093_IC.jpg)
35.7 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (logic_NAND_anchors.jpg)
21.8 KB11 views

Last edited by imhimmelkommter; 07-03-2017 at 09:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-03-2017, 06:57 AM
bojan
amateur

Michael,
pins 1 & 2 (inputs) should be connected to either GND or VCC.
Pi 3 (output) should be left unconnected.