Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-01-2013, 11:28 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I have watched FP SO ften, I can recite EVERY single line.

A brilliant piece of cinema! It's these great older SciFi that got me enthralled in astronomy.

Few SciFi movies EVER live up to my expectations after FP. Psychology, intense acting, wonderful SFX for the day...
Old 25-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Yes, I will admit that the first three movies of SW were definitely the best. However, at the risk of sounding mentally deficient, I liked all of SW and must be the only person alive who liked the character Jar Jar Binks, I thought he was hilarious. Once knew someone like that!

I find some sort of enjoyment, if not total enjoyment, from almost any sci-fi movie. I live for it! The only sci-fi movie that I can remember watching that I didn't, in any way, find enjoyment from was Melancholia, which was just stupid; damn near put me to sleep. Yes, I expect howls of protest on disparaging this "so-called" masterpiece. Actually, make that two movies, the other being The Battle for Los Angeles, just a war movie loosely based on sci-fi.

I even enjoy all the oldies, mostly because of the poor acting and even poorer "special effects". Some of these are just hilarious.
Old 25-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

I liked all the Star Wars movies, and I think watching the prequels first makes more sense. When I bought the series on Blu-Ray, I made the mistake of watching the originals first, and my wife, for whom english is a second language, had trouble grasping the sequence.
Old 25-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryp View Post
I liked all the Star Wars movies, and I think watching the prequels first makes more sense. When I bought the series on Blu-Ray, I made the mistake of watching the originals first, and my wife, for whom english is a second language, had trouble grasping the sequence.
I agree Laurie, it is the only way I watch them. Definitely makes more sense.
Old 26-01-2013, 12:22 AM
doppler (Rick)

Its been a while since I have watched the series, so I need to watch starwars again so I can decide. Luckily its the wet season. But I must admit I like episode 1 and usually play the pod racers game on the pc after watching it.
Old 26-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

I just finished watching Firefly/Serenity. Now that was a series that was so underrated, unfortunately, as I love it and just wanted more!

Can I have some please..... (apologies to Charles Dickens)
Old 26-01-2013, 07:46 AM
BPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardrifter_WA View Post
I just finished watching Firefly/Serenity. Now that was a series that was so underrated, unfortunately, as I love it and just wanted more!

Can I have some please..... (apologies to Charles Dickens)
Yep, canceling Firefly was quite possibly Twentieth Century Fox's least finest hour.
Old 26-01-2013, 12:48 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

What was that carppy "Sci Fi" made here in Aus by Jim Henson, with the spacecraft that talked etc, and the puppets etc. Pretty damned bad!
Old 26-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
What was that carppy "Sci Fi" made here in Aus by Jim Henson, with the spacecraft that talked etc, and the puppets etc. Pretty damned bad!
Nahh! disagree.....Farscape was fun.

But then, I do switch my brain off when watching sci-fi. I just love watching it because, for a little while at least, I can escape into a different world and forget the 'crappy' world we actually live in. yeah, yeah, I know we have a wonderful life, just don't watch the news, which I don't anyway.
Old 26-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Astro_Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
I loved the new BSG, got totally addicted to it and bought the Bluray box set.
Not quite that addicted, though I suppose it depends on budget.

I did get Edward James Olmos' autograph at a recent Supanova exibition (Gold Coast, 2012) ... seemed like a decent chap.

Going back to 1970s Sci-Fi, though, during that same recent insmonia period, I was also watching Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. That takes me back. Now I'm just waiting for the return of Space: 1999, or maybe Blake's 7.
Old 28-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Astro_Bot

I finished a Star Wars marathon in "machete order". Here are some thoughts:
  • It didn't make it any worse, but I don't think it was that much better. The main benefit is ditching Episode 1, which could be done in any order.
  • There are many things in Star Wars that are great and many that suck - in machete order, the sucky bits still suck.
  • Maybe it's just age, or maybe I was being more analytical, but I noticed even more plot conflicts this time around.
  • I still both love and hate George Lucas for what he did.
  • Maybe what we really need is a "re-imagining" of Star Wars - re-written by someone who actually knows what they're doing, insteading of lucking it in the first time and then forever trying to figure out how they did it.

Star Wars VII will be directed by J.J. Abrams (the guy who f****d up Star Trek). My first thought was, "Noooooooooo", but, on reflection, I don't think he could stuff it up any worse than George Lucas, so maybe it's for the better.
Old 28-01-2013, 11:04 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

That's subjective I guess, it may not of been Star Trek as we know it Jim but it was pretty impressive.
Old 28-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Astro_Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB80 View Post
That's subjective I guess, it may not of been Star Trek as we know it Jim but it was pretty impressive.
Oh, go back to playing with your iPhone.
Old 28-01-2013, 11:13 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

What's an iphone? :p
Old 26-03-2017, 09:03 AM
kinetic (Steve)
ATMer and Saganist

bump
Old 28-03-2017, 08:11 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

The right order is:

1) Star Wars.