Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-03-2017, 12:28 AM
DJT (David)

IC2948/4 Running Chicken and Friend Wide field - Revision

First light for a new to me FSQ106N. Its quite nice having a very flat field to work with.

IC2944 and little friend (PN294.9)

During processing I noticed what I thought was an artifact around 2.00. Turns out it is a small planetary, He 2-72/PN294.9 There are 2 images of this returned on google, one being an instruction to identify unknown objects using Plate solving in Maxim DL and overlays in the zoom tab of telescope control and the other was an accidental RGB find.

Given that my cropped image is 7 hours of Ha and Oiii (no Sii to speak of) this therefore would make my image the only Bicolour NB one returned on Google images? Wohoo! See attached.

This would really benefit from a longer FL scope..Where's SteveC when you need him?

Details
11 hours of 20 min subs with the FSQ106N with an STL 6303e hanging off the back and mounted on an AP900.

This was self guided behind 3-5NM NB astrodon filters so 20 second guiding subs needed. Thanks goodness for short FL scopes!

Nod of the head to Martin P who kindly shared the PI Process icon for DBE removal on the Oiii Master after he played with the first light data (much better than this, by the way..)

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IC2948SHOV5smaller.jpg)
139.1 KB53 views
Click for full-size image (Ha 2-72 Plan neb bicolour preview.jpg)
44.1 KB20 views

Last edited by DJT; 17-03-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 16-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Oh to be able to photograph all of that in one go!

Good colour.

The planetary nebula is new to me. Others have mentioned it, but this is the first time I've actually seen it. Nicely captured.

Best,
Mike
Old 16-03-2017, 09:27 PM
Martin Pugh

Hi David

I was waiting to see your post on this data....and a fine effort it is but you do have a strong magenta background and your stars are largely magenta in colour also.

Next time we meet I will show you my secret recipe for turning stars taken through the three NB filters to produce a much more pleasing result.

Very happy the FSQ106N is working well having hand carried it for you back from the US across 4 flights and 40 hours of travel.

All the best
Martin
Old 16-03-2017, 10:02 PM
DJT (David)

Cheers Martin

looking forward to that catch-up.

Scopes all pulled down now waiting for some clear dark skies.

thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pugh View Post
Hi David

I was waiting to see your post on this data....and a fine effort it is but you do have a strong magenta background and your stars are largely magenta in colour also.

Next time we meet I will show you my secret recipe for turning stars taken through the three NB filters to produce a much more pleasing result.

Very happy the FSQ106N is working well having hand carried it for you back from the US across 4 flights and 40 hours of travel.

All the best
Martin
Old 17-03-2017, 12:36 AM
DJT (David)

Repro already

I was given a Pixel Math expression that dealt really well with the Magenta. I also had a go with Ricks Color Mask to get some pop in the colours.

Hopefully this is an improvement

Thanks

IC2944 and little friend (PN294.9)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IC2948SHOV5smaller.jpg)
139.1 KB18 views
Old 17-03-2017, 09:49 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Yes, a lovely result David! Agree that magenta background was unappealing, but I'm kind of old school and don't mind some magenta stars, as long as they are subdued or whitened a bit.
Old 17-03-2017, 10:16 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Yes, the latest one is definitely an improvement over the first, nice job Dave Also seeing the chicken upside down makes it look like a big alien like in Cloverfield I am with Marcus, magenta looks good in stars of NB images IMO, if it is subtle and not presenting as bright magenta halo's.

Mike
Old 20-03-2017, 04:27 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Congrats on the first light and a nice repro, David!
Old 20-03-2017, 08:58 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Yes, a lovely result David! Agree that magenta background was unappealing, but I'm kind of old school and don't mind some magenta stars, as long as they are subdued or whitened a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yes, the latest one is definitely an improvement over the first, nice job Dave Also seeing the chicken upside down makes it look like a big alien like in Cloverfield I am with Marcus, magenta looks good in stars of NB images IMO, if it is subtle and not presenting as bright magenta halo's.

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Congrats on the first light and a nice repro, David!
Thanks Gents.
If I told you that I miss the magenta stars.. funny old game this and Mike, noted on the big magenta halo.

Rick, on the color mask it's quite easy to overcook adjustments ( at least it is for Ham Fisted David) and I found that some areas where less well protected than others so there was some posterisation where I wasn't expecting it. You need quite a light touch. Any tips for fine tuning the mask?

Cheers
Old 21-03-2017, 09:15 PM
diegocolonnello (Diego)
Breathing Stars

I have that Planetary Nebula too!!!!! top left corner, sorry for the crappy photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (lambda cen smaller.jpg)
197.7 KB13 views
Old 21-03-2017, 09:52 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
Rick, on the color mask it's quite easy to overcook adjustments ( at least it is for Ham Fisted David) and I found that some areas where less well protected than others so there was some posterisation where I wasn't expecting it. You need quite a light touch. Any tips for fine tuning the mask?
Hi David,

I find it useful to manipulate the masks a bit using other tools, e.g. Convolution to blur (avoid sharp transitions) and HistogramTransform/CurvesTransform to modify the mask strength.

Using the readout cursor in L*c*h* mode is also helpful to zero in on the range of hues that you want to target.

The general principle of making a series of small changes instead of going for the "big bang" is also helpful

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 23-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Nice work
I'm probably in the minority but I much prefer the contrast and colour of the original.
The new one is a bit palmolive for my eccentric tastes, although I prefer the treatment of the stars in the repro.
An FSQ, ahhh that must be nice
Old 24-03-2017, 08:16 AM
DJT (David)

Thanks Rick

It's a wet weekend coming up so I will have another tinker. Small change, redo mask, ( that's what I missed out last time) then more small changes etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Hi David,

The general principle of making a series of small changes instead of going for the "big bang" is also helpful

Cheers,
Rick.
THanks for the comments, Andy.
Highly amused at the Palmolive comment. Per Mike B comment in a previous thread, if I had held out for more Sii it may have made it less so. I think you have a unique style which works for you.

And the FSQ rocks..bliss. Still got a 6 year wait for the Starfire though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Nice work
I'm probably in the minority but I much prefer the contrast and colour of the original.
The new one is a bit palmolive for my eccentric tastes, although I prefer the treatment of the stars in the repro.
An FSQ, ahhh that must be nice