Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-03-2017, 05:12 PM
leon

Hi Guys, Some WI FI help please

Hi Guys, I will try and keep this short however it is frustrating.

Yesterday my Desk Top accessed the internet and was working perfectly, today it tells me that my access is limited, which dose happen from time to time, but then all is well again, but not this time, it matters not what i do it will not give proper access.

My Lap Top is next to my Desktop, and it has excellent reception, hence I am typing to you.

So why would this happen.

I have rebooted the Wi Fi set up ans the Computer, yet it is always limited access to the Desk Top yet not to the Lap Top which is next to it.

Some suggestions would be appreciated please.

Leon
Old 14-03-2017, 08:15 PM
LaughingBeagles (Peter)

Hi Leon,

I take it that you tether your laptop off your PC (ie connect to your WiFi via your PC by using some kind of share)?

There could be a few reasons this happens:
1. Nearby WiFi users are using the same channel as you which effectively "chokes" the signal;
2. If you are going via a shared network connection on your Desktop, check that the firewall is not restricting access;
3. Per the above except check your virus scanner (Norton / McAfee's are notorious for eating system resources, which would slow any connection down);
4. I think you said this, but reboot your router - switch it off and leave it about three minutes (so it picks up a new IP from your provider) and see how that goes;

I bet it's the first as it happens intermediately which is typical when two folks near each other use the same channel. If you're mates with your neighbours - might be worth asking them what WiFi channel they are using. Even if a different channel if your all on an older 2.4GHz band, then it will slow down if your all wanting to use the same bandwidth at the same time. An option would be to change channels or if possible both the channel and go to 5Ghz.

I am guessing a fair bit here based on the info provided.

Hope that gives you some ideas to play with.

Pete
Old 15-03-2017, 08:06 AM
leon

Peter thank you very much, the computers are not on a network, so to speak, however they do share the same stand alone WI Fi hot spot.

The problem has resolved its self with a couple of reboots of both the desk top and the Wi Fi.

Thank You.

Leon
Old 15-03-2017, 08:16 AM
LaughingBeagles (Peter)

You're welcome Leon, I am not sure if my ramblings helped, but I am glad it's resolved!

Pete