Old 11-02-2017, 06:00 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

First day in Macro

With the cloudy skies coming back I figured I needed a photographic hobby that worked inside!

Been trying to figure out how to get sharp photos, after much fiddling around I finally figured out that it was the mirror moving that was blurring my shots! Knowing that I couldn't touch the camera I figured that a 2s delay timer would be fine but I guess not!

Nikon D7200 (bought a week or so ago) and a Tamron 90mm Macro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Tomato IIS.jpg)
190.7 KB42 views
Old 12-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Well after my first weekend foray into Macro I am now awaiting the clouds to part to get back into Astro

Got a couple of others that still require processing... I think I need to get a 10:1 macro lens to start working on dead bugs
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Bark IIS.jpg)
187.9 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (Flower IIS.jpg)
178.6 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (Fry Pan IIS.jpg)
190.3 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (Microfible Cloth IIS.jpg)
179.5 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (Tomato Top IIS.jpg)
178.1 KB18 views
Old 12-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
With the cloudy skies coming back I figured I needed a photographic hobby that worked inside!

Been trying to figure out how to get sharp photos, after much fiddling around I finally figured out that it was the mirror moving that was blurring my shots! Knowing that I couldn't touch the camera I figured that a 2s delay timer would be fine but I guess not!

Nikon D7200 (bought a week or so ago) and a Tamron 90mm Macro.
Hi Colin

The central part of the image looks to be nice and sharp, with the periphery slightly out of focus which in my experience, is to be expected from the very shallow depth of field when shooting macro.

If you stop down below F16 (e.g. F22) then you may also get some image softening due to diffraction effects, although some camera manufacturers provide lens profile downloads that when installed in the OEM application, (e.g. Canon’s DPP), can “deconvolve” the raw image to make it more faithful to the original subject.

For static subjects, you can eliminate image blur due to mirror slap, or camera shake through pressing the shutter, by using a tripod and a remote release, with either Live View or Mirror Lock Up active.

Good shot by the way, nothing much wrong with that in my opinion.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 15-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Thanks Dennis
I very quickly learned that I absolutely had to use Mirror Up!
What I've done so far is photo stacking of 30-80 images photographing at F/5.6-11. I'm using a Tamron 90mm Macro which from what I've been able to find is at its sharpest at F/5.6 BUT it suffers from considerable CA that wide so I've had to use F/11 to remove the halos.