Senior Citizen

Corrector Plate and Mirrior Cleaning

Comments on this .....!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e66yIuD3cMk

Col...
Old 31-08-2019, 05:11 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I just did the same to my Corrector Plate ( inside and out MN56 ) and it came up like new.

Last edited by FlashDrive; 01-09-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 31-08-2019, 07:52 PM
Wavytone

Forgot to mention... if you do remove the corrector please consider covering the work area with something to protect the glass in case it slips out of your fingers and is scratched or worse, you drop it (which may mean end of scope). Two layers of thick towels, for example.

Recently I saw a beautiful Intes corrector sitting on a granite bench...
Old 31-08-2019, 08:12 PM
gregbradley

Seems like a good procedure. If it were a refractor of course you would not be removing the optics and you would tilt it down so water is not trying to get in the lens cell.

Bintel cleaning fluid has been very useful over several years now.

Greg.
Old 31-08-2019, 09:39 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Forgot to mention... Intes corrector sitting on a granite bench...

.........what were they thinking ..!!
Old 01-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Adox (Adriano)

It is a good method but fluff will remain inside the tube.

Remember to shine a light on the correcting plate or some halos will be visible only at night time when you will shine your torch in the tube.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Wavytone

Hi Adox, toughest test I had was cleaning glass graticules - as they are at the focal plane of an eyepiece. I have two of these (in Intes Russian finders).

Tried everything imaginable but all but one left fluff or visible marks on the graticule.

The only approach that worked was a thorough clean in detergent under running water followed by a rinse of distilled water and a firm shake... after that they dried perfectly clean.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Adox (Adriano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Hi Adox, toughest test I had was cleaning glass graticules - as they are at the focal plane of an eyepiece. I have two of these (in Intes Russian finders).

Tried everything imaginable but all but one left fluff or visible marks on the graticule.

The only approach that worked was a thorough clean in detergent under running water followed by a rinse of distilled water and a firm shake... after that they dried perfectly clean.

What about the first contact polymer cleaner? It does not work well on sticky stains or halos but it should work on glass reticules
Old 01-09-2019, 10:21 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

That was the method I used the first time after a little research and seeing that video. Very practical and effective for an SCT.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:04 AM
Hemi

Quote:
After lots of googling and asking questions,

I cleaned the corrector of my SCT with a mix of demineralised water, Windex, isopropyl alcohol and washing up liquid. I have the exact formula if needed. I also used it on the mirror. I think a final rinse with pure alcohol and the water really helps as the windex solution can leave some residue if you are too gentle with the wiping.

Used the rocket blower first, then running under a tap/sprinkler. Then wiped with continuous running water and a solution soaked pad of some description:

Tried cotton balls, Kleenex, cotton tips etc: the best was definitely PEC Pads (as so many have recommended). I found them at my local camera house!
That’s what I said in another thread...worked well. Initially I thought I had screwed up the mirror as it developed a stain over it (I started a thread about resurfacing a c925 mirror). It was the grease from the baffle tube! Cleaned off with pure isoP, and more confident scrubbing, like in the video.

I’m glad I did it as the scope has been the best since I got it....though that’s probably in no small part because I’m better at collimating it now.

Hemi
Old 02-09-2019, 09:18 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

He leaves quite a bit of fluff and lint on the corrector...I'd be using KimWipes instead personally (always works on refractors)

Boers / Afrikaans...I seriously have a hard time understanding him, even after living in Perth for a few years and having a proudly Boer mate
Old 02-09-2019, 01:51 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Was thinking hope his alt clutch will hold when putting back the corrector at 7 mins.Phew!
Bigjoe.