Old 13-01-2008, 07:15 AM
roccodm

RE: focusing screen for OM-1

Greetings to all down under- i recently picked up a very nice OM-1 and a couple of lens with the idea of trying some widefield pics. I did some net research and see that the number 8 screen is recommended for astro-photog- I have been seaching the camera house up here with no luck- it is my understanding that the item was discontinued in2003- any ideas where i might pick one up ; also what would be a suitable alternate to the number 8 screen. clear skies to all rocco WB9QPU
Old 13-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Suzy_A

Hi Roccodm,

any of the ones with a matte area will be OK, althouth the 1-8 has a finer matte than the others and so is better for astro. The others with matte are the 1-1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 10, 11, 13 and 14, although only the 4 and 8 are all matte, the others have split-image, microprism, cross hairs etc, but that doesn't really matter.

I think I have a spare ... something... a 4, 8 or a 11. I'll have a look, although its packed away in a box somewhere and may take a while to find...

Susan
Old 14-01-2008, 01:49 AM
roccodm

thanks suzy

thanks for the advise i know nothing of cameras - i was suprised when i found out that the screens were removable- as i said i want to try a little widefield to get a feel for this astrophoto stuff- i constucted a hartman mask for the AR5 and it seems to work quite well=picked up the t-adapter and rings and will eventually give it a go- but for now just want to try some simple stuff thru the lens 50mm and 135mm until i get the hang of it-clear skies rocco WB9QPU
Old 14-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Suzy_A

Hi Roccodm

the other thing that you will find usefull with a OM-1 is a 'vari-magni finder'. It's a right angle thing that fits on the camera's viewfinder eyepiece. It has 1.2x and 2.4 x magnification and allows more precise focussing. Do a search on Google or somewhere.
Old 14-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Suzy_A

Have a look at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ght_Angle.html

I don't know if this is the same one that fits on a OM-1 - you'll need to find out.

More info on the OM-1/2/3/4 one at http://www.alanwood.net/photography/...ni-finder.html

You can also get focussing screens from B&W (and probably elswhere too), although the cost of buying a new one is probably more than the OM-1 is worth.... It might be cheaper to look for a second hand camera with the screen already in it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/2...0/mxp/0.0/pn/2
Old 14-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Suzy_A

Just saw this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Olympus-...QQcmdZViewItem

Go to ebay and do a search - I found heaps of screens...
Old 16-01-2008, 06:02 AM
roccodm

Thanks suzy for the link -looks like i can get what i need- now if would only clear off up here-been cloudy since Christmas day- now temps are going to go severly sub -zero the next week or so-usually this clears the skies but does not do much for observing for any length of time clear skies and thanks again rocco WB9QPU