Old 09-10-2015, 07:54 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Strange trails in image

Hey guys, I came across a strange sub when sorting though my recent NGC 253 data. Have a look at the attachment, those 2 parallel lines are satellite trails I guess, I have noticed they are quite common early on the night.

What about the loop in the bottom of the image, and the one which shoots of at a 45 when it hits the bright star, with a bit of a wobble also?

Im thinking it can't be a guiding/tracking anomaly. Im really interested to hear others thoughts.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 253 LUM-0012.jpg)
162.2 KB83 views
Old 11-10-2015, 05:14 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Looks like the camera was exposing while the scope was slewing. Only way I can see the 'V' trail to the star happening. Slewed, stopped (or stopped, slewed ) so the star left a trail. And you have heaps of other artefacts which says the scope\mount was just settling down in a new position or possible moving off to a new position, exposure incomplete.
If it's the only example you've got I'd just write it off as a quirk happening. It's definitely mount movement rather than camera fault.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:29 AM
gregbradley

I agree, the mount moved, you knocked the mount as you walked past, something slipped. A cat jumped on your scope etc!!!

Or you lost your guide star and it was a long exposure or tracking stopped like Sky X dropping out.

Greg.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:22 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Agree with above - timing integration was off somewhere - like 2 separate softwares, one for image taking, the other for mount control or even dither, not talking to each other.
Old 13-10-2015, 09:51 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Thanks for the feedback guys, yes the more I think about it what you say makes sense. At the time I didn't notice any bumps (or cats Greg!) I did do a lot of slewing back and forth for focus frames though...maybe this is where the timing was off a little!

Erik