Old 13-11-2017, 09:17 PM
langman78 (Ben)

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG

Hi all.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a decent piece of glass mainly for general photography with my 70d (and a future investment for when I one day upgrade to full frame) but curious to know how this would perform with wide field AP with and with out my iOptron Sky Tracker? Not really finding much info on these gems when it comes to AP. Certainly hitting the mark for myself personally for general photography. The final decision on a purchase will be made I guess on its performance with a cropped sensor and full frame for AP.
Rather steer clear of any EF-S lenses for obvious reasons but being in a tight budget it will be hard. Current lenses I have are: 50mm prime f1.8 EF and a kit lens 18/200mm which hasn't been used at all for any AP as it's a EF-S lens and doesn't allow me to use my CLS Astronomik light pollution filter.
Any opinions, thoughts on this lens or perhaps some better options would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading,
Ben
Old 14-11-2017, 12:09 AM
Hemi

Hi Ben,

I don’t have the sigma 24-70 2.8. But have the Canon version (v2).
The canon is the perfect walkabout lens, and my goto for most things. But I use it on a full frame. I find the focal length to narrow for Milky Way, and foreground shots on a crop sensor. Unless you like to do mosaics. 70ml end on a crop makes do for a very versatile portrait lens though.

I have a 70d also, and for this my goto lens is the sigma 18-35 1.8. It truely is a great lens for landscapes and Astro, but also good for street photography (bit heavy and in your face though).

The 70d is a fantastic camera, and I would get the sigma 1835. I have a 5d4 and still use the 70d. Great for telephoto and wildlife. And everything else!

Good luck

Hemi
Old 14-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I have the Canon 24-105 version and used it for widefield photography on my camera which is full frame. works very well and the 24-70 would be even better as it is 2.8
Old 14-11-2017, 10:04 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by langman78 View Post
Hi all.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a decent piece of glass mainly for general photography with my 70d (and a future investment for when I one day upgrade to full frame) but curious to know how this would perform with wide field AP with and with out my iOptron Sky Tracker? Not really finding much info on these gems when it comes to AP. Certainly hitting the mark for myself personally for general photography. The final decision on a purchase will be made I guess on its performance with a cropped sensor and full frame for AP.
Rather steer clear of any EF-S lenses for obvious reasons but being in a tight budget it will be hard. Current lenses I have are: 50mm prime f1.8 EF and a kit lens 18/200mm which hasn't been used at all for any AP as it's a EF-S lens and doesn't allow me to use my CLS Astronomik light pollution filter.
Any opinions, thoughts on this lens or perhaps some better options would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading,
Ben
Hi Ben,

Your 18-200 is a good lens and the equal of the Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG HSM as far as sharpness. The 18-200 also has lower / less obvious coma than the Sigma you mentioned. Where the Sigma wins out is obviously that it is 1 stop faster. Also the 18-200 will be much wider on your camera (29mm FF equiv versus 38mm FF equiv for the Sigma 24-70 on your APS-C body)

You cant use the 18-200 with your CLS Clip in, but you could instead use a 72mm Redhancer type filter (Made by Hoya, B+W, Marumi, Crystal Optics, etc...) to achieve much (some) of the same elimination of light pollution. Not as extreme as your CLS, but very accpetable. Give one a try..... here is an incredibly inexpensive one.....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RH-72-RE...QAAOSw~vpaAnVs

The Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II is another story and a really excellent lens with very good control of coma on tests I've seen.

Best
JA
Old 14-11-2017, 09:40 PM
langman78 (Ben)

Thanks for all the feed back folks and big thank you to you JA.
Didn't realize that my 18-200mm would a decent performer for AP. Never really contemplated using it due to not being able to use my CLS. So thank you JA for that filter option. My knowledge is very limited with AP. It's why these forums are an awesome thing.
Queried a few camera stores before posting this thread on the Sigma 24/70 and was told that it would or be a winner of a decision to make a purchase and would out shine the 18-200 hands down. Wasn't overly convinced on the negativity of the 18-200. Sounds like they were only after a sale.
So looks like I'll save some $$ but in saying that it certainly would be nice to get my hands on canon 24/70 v2. Can't justify that price now though. My wife would shoot me lol. Perhaps just wait until I can save more $$ for a better quality lens or buy together with a full frame body.
I quite like the idea of a 18-35 though Hemi. But I'm assuming with JA's opinion which I'm agreeing with, that perhaps still stick with the 18-200.
Looks like if I do invest in glass why not go wider like a 10-22mm. Still a decent hit for the pocket for a EF-S glass though
Old 14-11-2017, 11:36 PM
Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by langman78 View Post
Thanks for all the feed back folks and big thank you to you JA.
Didn't realize that my 18-200mm would a decent performer for AP. Never really contemplated using it due to not being able to use my CLS. So thank you JA for that filter option. My knowledge is very limited with AP. It's why these forums are an awesome thing.
Queried a few camera stores before posting this thread on the Sigma 24/70 and was told that it would or be a winner of a decision to make a purchase and would out shine the 18-200 hands down. Wasn't overly convinced on the negativity of the 18-200. Sounds like they were only after a sale.
So looks like I'll save some $$ but in saying that it certainly would be nice to get my hands on canon 24/70 v2. Can't justify that price now though. My wife would shoot me lol. Perhaps just wait until I can save more $$ for a better quality lens or buy together with a full frame body.
I quite like the idea of a 18-35 though Hemi. But I'm assuming with JA's opinion which I'm agreeing with, that perhaps still stick with the 18-200.
Looks like if I do invest in glass why not go wider like a 10-22mm. Still a decent hit for the pocket for a EF-S glass though
Ben,

I’m a big believer that you should try with what you have first. I’m amazed at the Milky Way shots done on an iPhone! Definately give your 18-200 some attention if you’ve not done so already.

At 3.5 @ 18mm it’s a full 2 stops slower than the 18@1.8. Most kit lenses (most lenses period) need a little stopping down for sharp images, so this would make your lens slower still by at least another half stop (you need to experiment with your lens to work out where it works best).

I personally think that 2.8 is the minimum ideal aperture. Smaller apertures mean longer exposures for the same amount of data, that’s a problem without tracking, so for the same data you will get more noticeable trailing. And secondly more noise.

24mm on a full frame, and 18mm (28mm EFL) on your 70d is the max focal length for Milky Way, before needing to mosaic.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Hemi
Old 15-11-2017, 06:51 AM
langman78 (Ben)

Yeah it does thank you Hemi.
I'll consider the 18-35 but keep in on ice and have a play with my 18-200 with the filter AJ suggested.
Even my 50mm would be worth while giving a go. Only toyed around with my iOptron tracker a handful of times with my old 100D. Least with the 50mm and having that speed I'll get some sort of an idea of what I can do with 1.8/2.8 aperture. Obviously lacking with FOV but still could be fun.
With using 3.5, is it s case of say taking a lot more exposures in a session to achieve relatively similar results to that of 2.8?
I mean that only to a certain extent of course with the obvious drawbacks to be considered but in theory does it work tgst way?
Old 15-11-2017, 07:13 AM
JA

Hi Ben,

Good to hear you'll try what you already have with the 18-200. If you really want another lens for wide field then it's hard to go past the Samyang 14mm 2.8 UMC marked version (new design optics) , especially in full frame use. Around $450ish new and $300 used. It's hard to beat unless you want to spend many times that amount. There are a couple of Canon versions on Gumtree right now. One caveat though would be its use with your 70d and the CLS filter - not sure - it might foul the filter. You'd need to check before committing or go full frame, if that's your desire anyway.

Best
JA
Old 15-11-2017, 03:10 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Although not full frame this was shot with a Nikon D7200 and the newer Samyang 14mm F/2.8.
https://www.astrobin.com/full/301682/0/

I shot at f/5.6 as the lens is at its sharpest F/5.6 - F/8. It is noticeably soft at F/2.8.
Old 15-11-2017, 08:45 PM
langman78 (Ben)

Amazing pic Colin.
Thanks for all the feedback guys. That Samyang looks like a decent bit of glass and probably the front runner when I eventually pull the trigger. Impressive and much more affordable. Looks I now know what to ask santa for this yr
Cheers guys and a merry xmas to you all if I'm not on here hounding you all for some advise again this yr
Old 16-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Rigel003 (Graeme)

Not sure if this will help but I have Tamron 24-70 f2.8 that I use for everyday shooting and some wide field astrophotography with my Canon 6D. Here's an example stopped down to f3.2.

http://www.pbase.com/rigel003/image/164843693/original