Old 29-08-2011, 03:37 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Backlash-Sloppy motor issues,advice sort.

Hello.

Just getting into a little AG'ed astro photography.Have cable issues sorted and the Orion AG system is certainly working,with no problems.

I had a quick 10 shots last night,at two objects,But I was not impressed with success rate,Only one image was half reasonable.

It appears there is backlash/sloppy-ness in the motors,there is some comp adjustment on paddle so I will try that.Just wondering what I can do if tat does not get a bit higher success rate.

Or am I expected too much from such a short session?? I hear people say this AGing can be hit and miss??,some nights its all good.

Only after a couple of shots on the second object,did the AG seem to work better,and I changed the setting from 2.5 sec capture to 1 sec capture.

The mount is permantly set up and PA,and worked well unguided with DD1 set up for up to 3 minute exp.I hope This new set up gets better as I spend more time on it.

Any thoughts opr advice welcome-thanks Chris
Old 29-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Unbalance the mount a tad, so it always drives, not push/pull. This will make backlash irrelivant (for guiding).
Old 29-08-2011, 05:05 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

yep unbalance the mount in RA a little so its east heavy - but this wont help DEC backlash - where are you getting it most? Its most likely to need attention to the meshing of the DEC worm and main gear.

Adam
Old 29-08-2011, 05:23 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re guiding

Thanks Adam and Fred.

Yes-I can hear 'shunting' noise-which I imagine is the 'Push-Pull' you mention.

The RA is fairly well balanced,so will unbalance the as you mention.The DEC
is a bit unbalance-as when the camera is racked out to focus,is heavier that end,I will balance it properly if you think that would help.

Also,I have yet to properly set the B.L comp on the paddle,So all of this is not a major thing to improve on.I am hopping such actions will improve the issue.

Not sure what else to do if these actions do not improve it.I did do a ten minute exp of M 83 a couple of months back,and it was quite good.it was almost overhead.

Thanks for help-Chris

PS I'll post an image from last night to show trails as it came out of camera (if I can find it in the bin)