Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 06-02-2019, 06:58 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Recommendations for an Imaging Coma Corrector

Would like some recommendations from IIS members for an imaging coma corrector to be used with my Canon 600D and 8” f5 newt.General consensus has the Baader MPCC Mk111 the most popular corrector for imaging but looking at some posts on cloudy nights ( with images ) show they are inferior to the Parracor 2 ,Skywatcher and other coma correctors. Stars appeared bloated towards the centre of view where as the Skywatcher showed all stars across the field, tight and round

Appreciate some advice on the Baader MPCC Mk111 for my Canon 600D and 8” f5 newt

Thanks in advance
Old 06-02-2019, 07:15 AM
bojan
amateur

Do you really need it?

I have 10" f/5.6 Newt.. and coma is almost invisible with APS sensor, see here:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...1&postcount=10
Old 06-02-2019, 08:02 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

+1 Parracor - perfect round stars on my APS chip & 10" newt
Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Maybe the corrector is much less critical at F6 Bojan ? I've got an 8" F5 and coma is terrible without the corrector.

Sorry Martin but I can only comment on the Baader. That fixed coma enough to my satisfaction (but I have a low threshold to acceptance).

My main issue was tilt and I think this would be a problem with any corrector. It took me ages to realise it was tilt, not having had a newt before. When I figured it out, it didn't take too long to adjust the focuser . It's pretty good now (subject to my low standards).

Edit: just looked at Andy's pic. That's pretty amazing - parracor looks like it does more than a job.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:46 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks for replying
I currently have a 6” f6 newt and don’t need a CC , stars are nice and round I’m getting a second scope 8” f5 to image at my dark site
Andy
Very impressive image , is your 10”newt an f4 or custom f4 to f5 ?
Chris
There’s a lot of dissatisfied users of the Baader CC on various forums across the globe , are you saying that it works good enough for you but didn’t exceed your expectations ?
Bojan
You probably wouldn’t expect to see coma pushing towards an f6

I’m happy to pay for the Paracorr 2 but it pushes your focal length out by 1.15x
and they are quite heavy around 0.5kg which all adds to your payload ( I assume the Baader would be half that weight - can’t find specs on its weight )
I also read somewhere in Televues site that using a Paracorr 2 on a scope with under 1200mm focal length may cause some field curvature ?
I’m a huge fan of Televue and have Panoptic, Delos and Ethos eye pieces so would be happy to use the Paracorr 2 but still a bit confused

Does anyone else have experience with either the Baader or Paracorr 2 coma corrector for imaging with newts

Cheers
Old 06-02-2019, 11:53 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Hi Martin - Mine is a 1000mm f4 that becomes 1148mm with the Paracorr > longer focal length which is a bonus for me
Old 06-02-2019, 05:19 PM
billdan (Bill)

The Baader MPC-III corrects the coma perfectly OK, but I noticed immediately when I installed it that the stars were fatter than without it.
I would rather live with the slightly fatter stars than put up with the coma.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Bill
Are you using your Baader CC for visual or imaging ?

If for visual only that’s a good outcome , but my proposed CC would be for imaging

Thanks

Cheers
Old 06-02-2019, 08:38 PM
billdan (Bill)

Hi Martin,

I use it for imaging, but its not too bad, there are plenty more issues to deal with that can cause fat stars (collimation, focus, guiding, seeing, too much stretching etc).

Bill
Old 06-02-2019, 08:43 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

I am using a Baader MPC-III on a 10" f/5 Newtonian which earned an Astrobin IOTD. I can recommend it!
Old 06-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Kevin
Congrats on the image and thanks for the recommendation
Gee a 10” f5 is a big long scope , what mount is it sitting on ? an EQ8 or a CGXL ? Or is it a Goto Dob ?
Martin
Old 06-02-2019, 10:50 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Gee a 10” f5 is a big long scope , what mount is it sitting on ? an EQ8 or a CGXL ? Or is it a Goto Dob ?
Martin
I've got it sitting on an EQ6-R. It would be better on something like a CGXL but if I balance it really carefully, and there's no wind, and I give it plenty of time to settle after a dither or slew, and I don't breathe too heavily next to it, and nobody walks too close to it, and I never look directly at it but instead only out of the corner of my eye, then it seems pretty stable!
Old 15-02-2019, 05:45 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

I used the Baader Rowe corrector on a 10”f4.5 newt and it worked very well, guiding and atmospheric problems were much more significant than coma. I currently use the ASA Wynn’s corrector in my 16”f3.6, and with a 3 micron spot size It has to be the best out there.
Cheers
Andrew.