Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 21-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Paul Haese

NGC2014 and NGC2020 now in colour

I have now collected enough colour and narrow band data to form the colour image.

This image is composed of Ha OIII and RGB data (18 hours in total).

Things of note other than the targets within this image are the blue star concentration in the right hand side of the image. Not only is there a lot of Ha gas but it looks like some cirrus is also present in the foreground.

Click here for higher resolution image.

It's nice to be back collecting data again. Commissioning a new scope can take a lot of time up and energy. I have one more to do now and wondering why I do this to myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC2014 Ha OIII RGB 600 300 45 60 60.jpg)
153.2 KB129 views
Old 21-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Facinating field. I really like the red/blue contrasting regions.

Nicely done
Old 21-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

That’s fantastic Paul! I’ve images this a few times with FAR less integration time and aperture and never picked up that faint cirrus. Nice pick up.
Old 21-11-2017, 09:21 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

A couple of very cool looking objects, Paul. I love everything except the composition which looks a little unbalanced to me? A small crop would fix it if you agree
Old 22-11-2017, 08:08 AM
Paul Haese

Thanks guys for the comments. Rick, you're right the composition is a little off but cropping off more still leaves this problem though not as glaring. I'll have a think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
That’s fantastic Paul! I’ve images this a few times with FAR less integration time and aperture and never picked up that faint cirrus. Nice pick up.
Thanks Colin, the cirrus is tough to tease out and give a contrasted look to the image. If I had gathered some luminance it would have been easier.
Old 22-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Love the processing, FOV & star colours - not a fan of the composition either though...
Now that it's sorted, your new scope sure delivers the goods!
Old 23-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Flugel88 (Michael)

Unusual field of view Paul i like it.
I still find it amazing how some blobs of gas appear Blue and some red Ha and OIII are so much fun.
Not sure if you had to do some cropping but Stars looking good right to the edges.
Old 23-11-2017, 06:34 PM
gregbradley

Nice colours but adding the colour seems to have significantly softened the image. The Ha was so sharp. SCP area is tough to image in my experience. I suppose its because these beauties tend to be low in the sky.

I could try to get some CDK17 data if you want to do a collaboration later on?

Greg.
Old 25-11-2017, 03:28 AM
DJT (David)

That’s pretty cool. Quite a wide FOV. I especially like the contrast between the blue and the red along with how they wrap around each other top right.

Sure, bit of a crop but wondering if that top right area extends enough to reframe maybe when you finish tinkering with that great setup?
Old 25-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Paul Haese

Thanks guys for the comments.

David, I could not quote you but to answer you question; yes I did crop the image but only because NGC2035 was on the edge of the field. I am planning on doing a mosaic of this particular area in the future and that should balance things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flugel88 View Post
Unusual field of view Paul i like it.
I still find it amazing how some blobs of gas appear Blue and some red Ha and OIII are so much fun.
Not sure if you had to do some cropping but Stars looking good right to the edges.

Michael, the star shapes in this data looked generally good over the entire field in the RGB but had some odd looking stars in the Ha. I put that down to some guide settings not being really correct at this stage, still a little residual tilt and I think the secondary spider assembly is rotating a little under gravity in certain parts of the sky. I will need to try to balance this over the Christmas break. The tilt will also need to be dealt with during the break too. The guide settings I think I have dealt with now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Nice colours but adding the colour seems to have significantly softened the image. The Ha was so sharp. SCP area is tough to image in my experience. I suppose its because these beauties tend to be low in the sky.

I could try to get some CDK17 data if you want to do a collaboration later on?

Greg.
I checked back and cannot see any softening between the two. Perhaps it was more contrasted in the Ha and that gave the impression of it being sharper. I did have the Ha at a slightly smaller resolution too, so that might have contributed to it appearing sharper.

Any collaboration will be interesting and could reap interesting results. So thanks for the offer.