Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 28-07-2018, 02:42 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Martin.
You will need drivers and usb connect.
I think I have that much worked out.
Not much more it seems like sometimes but you learn as you go.
I found the connection cable which may work on the very old eq6 mount but I will go to Bintel on Monday and get one for the new heq5 .
I saw the new heq6 at Bintel the othe day and they look sweet.
Anyways given the age with the old eq6 I will sort out the heq5 five first I need a test run at least to make sure on distance from flatner to chip and its easier to manage better focuser ect.
You sure end up doing a lot of reading in this game.
The stuff I have read over the last couple of days. All on NINA was around 30 pages maybe more..that sort of thing for each different thing you try. And now it seems Pixinsite awaits...but again it may not be for me..I tried it and although in the hands of someone who knew what they were doing .... well lets say as crud as say gimp may be I at least can use it...which is initself a big step for me I guess.
AND I managed to get the cube painted black inside. I bought cheap spray cans that was gloss for 3-40 a can v 8-50 a can for matt black I got 5 cans of the cheap although gloss paint....anyways fate smiled on me as this paint over the ruff surface and it having only a lite clear coat ....the finish is matt for all purposes.

alex
Old 28-07-2018, 02:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Do ya just love it.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180728_155132-1.jpg)
134.3 KB19 views
Old 28-07-2018, 03:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I inspected the paint job and it needs another four cans of the good stuff as there is still a high degree of reflectivity.
Alex
Old 29-07-2018, 09:25 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

It's looking good Alex !!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I now have everything set up except for the electric focuser which requires two holes drilled in the scope foot and the manufacture of a belt drive...
All cables are sorted and tied.
I have all the programs instaled.
I am not looking forward to turning it all on as I expect the worst even though I have been very cautious to get everything right.
Maybe a little rest to prepare myself for the challenge of getting it to actually work.
The affair has been a bit of a chalenge mainly cause I am old and grumpy but recognising that has been so helpful.
And again thanks for the support from members as without it I know that I could not have managed.
Expect me in a few days with a list of problems..if no problems the celebration will see me drunk for at least a week.
I keep telling myself that it was not that long ago there would have only been a few professional astronomers who would be doing this stuff...
Very happy and now broke...the outflow of cash is extrodinary.
Alex
Old 01-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Alex,
Sounds good....
You can get the XML belts and pulleys from miniBearings, QLD, they supplied all my belt drive focuser needs.
Recommended.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:24 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Alex,
Sounds good....
You can get the XML belts and pulleys from miniBearings, QLD, they supplied all my belt drive focuser needs.
Recommended.
Thanks Ken.
Alex
Old 02-08-2018, 02:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I powered it all up.
The Ascom EQMOD HEQ 5 V1.29a box says "Connect error: Port not available

I have the new lead going to the mount and the hand box is not in the picture.
The mount has power the usb distributer has power...I cant see anything on the face of things that could be wrong.
Any ideas?
Alex
Old 02-08-2018, 03:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Here are some photos.
I am wondering if the usb hub is up for it?
The lappy repeatedly makes the noice you get when you plug something like a camera in the usb.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180802_154518-1.jpg)
172.1 KB6 views
Click for full-size image (20180802_154530-1.jpg)
141.0 KB5 views
Click for full-size image (20180802_154839-1.jpg)
157.2 KB5 views
Click for full-size image (20180802_154618-1.jpg)
178.6 KB5 views
Old 02-08-2018, 03:13 PM
brisen (Brian)

Hi Alex

It isn't recognising the COM Port that it is connected to. You need to go into the device manager on Windows and when it opens you are looking for Ports (COM & LPT) in the list that comes up - expand this by clicking on the > and you will see a list open up. From memory you are looking for USB Serial port. Note the number - it will be COMX where X is the number that the link is using. You need to have it connected to the mount and the mount turned on so it recognises it.

Now go into EQMOD and change the COM port to match the number that you got from the device manager. This will ensure that the mount is trying to get through the correct port. Once you change it, it will save and you shouldn't need to fix it again.

The spot you are looking for the COM Port in EQMOD is to the left of the site information box in the window and basically directly to the left of the guiding drop down menu. It will have COMX in the window and a drop down, the X being the port it is currently pointing to.

Brian
Old 02-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Hmmm,
I use Cartes du Ciel with my EQMod set-up...
When you check the ASCOM telescope option you can get a message (similar to yours) and most of the time it means that the EQDir module isn't being seen by the program.
Check the device manager to confirm the EQDir module is being recognised.
I also usually work with low Comm port number (1-6) you can set this again under device manager...
(The EQDir module should be connected to a USB port on the computer and the hand controller port on the mount - no Hand controller used!)
Hope this helps...
Old 02-08-2018, 03:16 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Brian beat me to it!!!
As he says............
Old 02-08-2018, 03:24 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisen View Post
Hi Alex

It isn't recognising the COM Port that it is connected to. You need to go into the device manager on Windows and when it opens you are looking for Ports (COM & LPT) in the list that comes up - expand this by clicking on the > and you will see a list open up. From memory you are looking for USB Serial port. Note the number - it will be COMX where X is the number that the link is using. You need to have it connected to the mount and the mount turned on so it recognises it.

Now go into EQMOD and change the COM port to match the number that you got from the device manager. This will ensure that the mount is trying to get through the correct port. Once you change it, it will save and you shouldn't need to fix it again.

The spot you are looking for the COM Port in EQMOD is to the left of the site information box in the window and basically directly to the left of the guiding drop down menu. It will have COMX in the window and a drop down, the X being the port it is currently pointing to.

Brian
Thank you so much Brian for helping me I really appreciate it.
The only way I have got this far is by keeping at it.
In fact I am very impressed I have remained cool and methodical.
I am going to have a rest and a cuppa and try later using your advice.
Thanks a million.
Alex
Old 02-08-2018, 03:28 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Hmmm,
I use Cartes du Ciel with my EQMod set-up...
When you check the ASCOM telescope option you can get a message (similar to yours) and most of the time it means that the EQDir module isn't being seen by the program.
Check the device manager to confirm the EQDir module is being recognised.
I also usually work with low Comm port number (1-6) you can set this again under device manager...
(The EQDir module should be connected to a USB port on the computer and the hand controller port on the mount - no Hand controller used!)
Hope this helps...
Thanks for your help.
I use Stellarium and the next big thing is to include it in the mix.
I am just so excited that this is happening.
I never liked goto and even moved the mount manually to each object I guess I thought it was all too much but now I just cant wait to be able to control it all from the lappy.
I honestly thought it was beyond my limited ability and hopefully soon that will not be the case.
Alex
Old 02-08-2018, 03:28 PM
brisen (Brian)

Try to ensure you only plug the USBs into the same USB slots as well. From experience Windows gets upset and confused if you switch ports around.

Brian
Old 02-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Alex,
When you do get up and running under EQMod - your life will change forever - for the better!!!
It just does such a good job.......
Old 02-08-2018, 04:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisen View Post
Try to ensure you only plug the USBs into the same USB slots as well. From experience Windows gets upset and confused if you switch ports around.

Brian
Thanks
Alex
Old 02-08-2018, 04:53 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Alex,
When you do get up and running under EQMod - your life will change forever - for the better!!!
It just does such a good job.......
For me it will be fantastic.
No one knows the huge effort it is with legs on fire just to get out of bed.
Just running in and out to the scope when imaging is a huge effort so lappy control will make it pleasurable.

Astronomy has saved me from giving up.

Building the cube was a monumental effort...built in the garage a floor below and piece by piece over weeks and months and when I look at it I realise you can overcome difficulty if you just grit your teeth and keep working on the project.

I now find the battery does not seem up to it so before I do anything more I have to bring another battery up from downstairs ..half way now and the rest later before I go to bed.

Funny thing is when working it all will come down so I can take it North.😂
Thanks again.

Alex
Old 02-08-2018, 05:46 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

OK I have sorted the battery and all is good there.
I went into the control panel on the lappy and selected device manager but I can not see any reference to ports anywhere...so any ideas?
Alex
Old 02-08-2018, 06:23 PM
brisen (Brian)

Down towards the bottom of the list. It will only show up if you have it plugged into the mount with the mount powered up.

Brian