Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 09-04-2018, 04:09 AM
alfa015 (Alberto)

What do you think about the EM drive?

Last year China claimed that they had built an EM drive.

The Chinese Space Agency released a video (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdce...ature=youtu.be), but they don't go into detail.

What do you think about it? Do you think they are just achieving insignificant amounts of thrust?

If the EM drive worked, as far as I'm concerned it could gradually achieve 9.4% the speed of light.

I recently made a video on the most plausible methods of interstellar travel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMRU..._eKz1ge_CxQxjw) but didn't include the EM drive as I think it is still too controversial and, well, I wanted to choose just the 5 fastest methods.
Old 16-04-2018, 08:42 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

It's all Chinese not a helpful video
Old 17-04-2018, 01:32 AM
glend (Glen)

The one that Darius Tanz built on Salvation is working.
Old 17-04-2018, 02:34 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post

Fiction beget fiction
Old 17-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Maybe China stole it off Russia? Its only a prototype though.
Old 17-04-2018, 04:18 PM
bojan
amateur

Nothing....
Old 17-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Nothing....
Just saying...

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...space-science/

Maybe it could get a water bear to Alpha Centauri, but in the future...

Last edited by Zuts; 17-04-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 20-04-2018, 08:50 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

I think warp drive is a better option than EM drive personally.

China has apparently been working hard on actual prototypes, meanwhile, NASA buggers around with theoretical papers and no real practical experiments. About sums up how far down the tube NASA has gone in many areas imho.
Old 21-04-2018, 08:14 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
meanwhile, NASA buggers around with theoretical papers and no real practical experiments. About sums up how far down the tube NASA has gone in many areas imho.
US Military funding for 2018: 639 BILLION USD

US NASA funding for 2018: 18.4 BILLION USD

Atlas shrugged...
Old 21-04-2018, 08:27 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I though the military budget was higher...and so it should be...we need to build battle stars to protect the solar system.
Battle Stars really make sence as you could place all military activity upon space ships a long way from here and unite the world against the threat of attack from other solar systems...plus space research would be a happy spin off.
We need to explore the places in this solar system to establish if any thteats to Earth may exist within the solar system so of course we need missions to more places than Mars...
Alex
Old 21-04-2018, 08:33 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Your sarcasm made me smile
Old 21-04-2018, 08:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Your sarcasm made me smile
I wasnt being sarcastic. ..well not if we hope to save the space program.

NASA needs to fall back from all involvement in climate observation , not saying such is not needed but it will work against them.
But a battle star program will immediately bring all Republicans on side and that wont hurt funding ...I bet involvement in climate observation hurts NASA big time...think of the politics.
Alex
Old 21-04-2018, 08:44 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

And what has happened to the star wars program?
Should be a priority as lets face it everything gets done or not done according to how the military sees their purpose being served.
China needs to shoot down another weather sat. That would be great for funding.
Sure I am crazy but you need to be crazy to analyse these matters ...crazy understands crazy☺
Alex
Old 21-04-2018, 08:47 AM
JA

Quote:

Atlas shrugged...
That's what they'll make known. The rest, the black budget or the taxpayer and senate unauthorised bottomless pit .... in the words of Borat : " you will never have this ...."

As an aside:
I haven't checked lately but the US National debt was around $20 Trillion post Obama (EDIT: Now $21 Trillion). every now and then the market wakes up to the growing level of the debt and goes into a mild or severe melt down. The next one is always just around the corner.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 21-04-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added current US debt data
Old 21-04-2018, 08:59 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:

Atlas shrugged...
I was under the understanding that NASA"s funding was a LOT less than 18 billion per year (more in the order of 600M or so). And military funding was upwards of a trillion dollars per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I though the military budget was higher...and so it should be...we need to build battle stars to protect the solar system.
Battle Stars really make sence as you could place all military activity upon space ships a long way from here and unite the world against the threat of attack from other solar systems...plus space research would be a happy spin off.
We need to explore the places in this solar system to establish if any thteats to Earth may exist within the solar system so of course we need missions to more places than Mars...
Alex
lol. NO.

Quote:
I wasnt being sarcastic. ..well not if we hope to save the space program.

NASA needs to fall back from all involvement in climate observation , not saying such is not needed but it will work against them.
But a battle star program will immediately bring all Republicans on side and that wont hurt funding ...I bet involvement in climate observation hurts NASA big time...think of the politics.
Alex
NO. Absolutely not. NASA is about science, not military BS. The US government needs to start showing less war-mongering and de-militarisation. Trump and co. are anti climate change, and that's obvious by who Trump appointed to the head of the EPA. Reversal of key anti-pollution laws (clean water policy), the strong push for money making exercises at the cost of local environments, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
That's what they'll make known. The rest, the black budget or the taxpayer and senate unauthorised bottomless pit .... in the words of Borat : " you will never have this ...."

As an aside:
I haven't checked lately but the US National debt was around $18 Trillion post Obama (EDIT: Now $21 Trillion). every now and then the market wakes up to the growing level of the debt and goes into a mild or severe melt down. The next one is always just around the corner.

Best
JA
The US government (like any, really) is notorious for lying about expenditure. So much for serving the people. Which is why I laugh when people think that we live in a democracy - we do NOT.
Old 21-04-2018, 09:11 AM
JA

Quote:
The US government (like any, really) is notorious for lying about expenditure. So much for serving the people. Which is why I laugh when people think that we live in a democracy - we do NOT.
You are absolutely right:

One man does not equal one vote. One dollar equals one vote.

Best
JA
Old 21-04-2018, 09:44 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Dave what they need to do probably wont happen...the military lobby is more powerful than we can imagine.

War mongering is the natural condition and will never fall for a rational peaceful approach.

And we have to live with the fact that it is those who control capital who decide who shall be in office...I note "in office" which does not mean that is the seat of power.

Trump is not an island and although we all focus upon him and his approach he would not be able to retain office if those with the power were not well served by him being there...those in power must be so happy to have him in office as he takes the focus away from the real problem...them.

Anyways what does it matter gluttons for energy will consume more and more and that suits those who have large chuncks of capital invested in energy.

The only reason alternative energy gets a look in is because there is a buck to be made and certainly few invest because of ethical reasons.

I think the most important thing we could do, and by we I mean them, is to send missions to determine if life is in the places we consider possible...but again such missions would not appeal to those, who because of their religious philosophy, consider life can only be on Earth and that it is somehow special.
The cry that the search for gravity waves is the most important thing to undertake certainly suits those in the relativity business but how sad that such is standing in line to take money away from real space exploration...there are gravity waves so what..who cares about two black holes merging billions of light years in the past (or distant) is not looking for life now around here more important?
The money that goes to proving DrA was right is scandalous but that is politics for you.
Alex
Old 21-04-2018, 09:54 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Dave what they need to do probably wont happen...the military lobby is more powerful than we can imagine.

War mongering is the natural condition and will never fall for a rational peaceful approach.

And we have to live with the fact that it is those who control capital who decide who shall be in office...I note "in office" which does not mean that is the seat of power.

Trump is not an island and although we all focus upon him and his approach he would not be able to retain office if those with the power were not well served by him being there...those in power must be so happy to have him in office as he takes the focus away from the real problem...them.

Anyways what does it matter gluttons for energy will consume more and more and that suits those who have large chuncks of capital invested in energy.

The only reason alternative energy gets a look in is because there is a buck to be made and certainly few invest because of ethical reasons.

I think the most important thing we could do, and by we I mean them, is to send missions to determine if life is in the places we consider possible...but again such missions would not appeal to those, who because of their religious philosophy, consider life can only be on Earth and that it is somehow special.
The cry that the search for gravity waves is the most important thing to undertake certainly suits those in the relativity business but how sad that such is standing in line to take money away from real space exploration...there are gravity waves so what..who cares about two black holes merging billions of light years in the past (or distant) is not looking for life now around here more important?
The money that goes to proving DrA was right is scandalous but that is politics for you.
Alex
Well, merging Black holes do allow us to test Einstein's relativity even further. And the reason why man is where he is is because of curiosity.

Finding non Earth life is important, but as long as certain religions hold sway over the many idiots in society, that is going to be ignored.

Elon Musk's various alternative energy platforms have long been attacked by the wealthy, and powerful, old school (Ford, GM etc). The technology works. It works well. It is being deliberately crippled by those of the old power, including the fuel (oil/gas) tycoons. They are a dying species and yet they refuse to roll over and die.

Trump is an idiotic moron. I could say worse, but since this is a public forum, I shall refrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
You are absolutely right:

One man does not equal one vote. One dollar equals one vote.

Best
JA
yes, this is the sad truth of modern human society.
Old 21-04-2018, 10:22 AM
JA

Quote:
Trump is an idiotic moron. I could say worse, but since this is a public forum, I shall refrain.
I would counter, but would be scorned (Religion/Politics/etc...). I could say more, but "since this is a public forum, I shall refrain"

Best
JA
Old 21-04-2018, 10:56 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Dave GR has been tested every which way such that from what I can grasp it really cant take us further.

I really think GR has become a business ... there is now no prediction that has not been tested as far as I know...its been done to death and it seems that the great minds tired up in GR could be put to better use.

The environment does not exist where something new can drop out of the research.

I think there is a better case for funding scientists to just do "what pops into your head" if we seek new stuff.

However on the bright side GR does keep a lot of great minds active I expect.

It is hard to think of something new these days.

Once I could come up with what would be judged as a rat bag idea that could never happen whereas now you get an idea search on utube and there it is with 30 people doing what you thought about.

I thought one day...you could inflate a black plastic bag with air let it heat up in the Sun and you would have a solar hot air ballon..so I go on utube and find 30 people with solar hot air ballons.

I designed a cat to take the world sail record which was pretty novel and a couple of weeks ago find it out there such that it matched my plans...and it did take the record...but funny I cant find it again ...which I must do...as there was one aspect not in the one I saw which probably would give a little more speed.

So its cloudy here as you can guess.

Alex