Old 17-08-2011, 04:18 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Pixinsight help

Hi,

I have watched all of harry's video tutorials and am happy doing all the things I need to do to process my images, but I don't seem able to save any of them as jpegs. Every time I save a file it saves as a dark linear file.

I know Harry says that if you apply the histogram settings to your working file (I'm using 32 bit Tif files) you are saving what is on the screen. But for me this just isn't happening reliably (sometimes seems to though).

If I save the tiff as a jpeg (after applying the historgram) it is still dark and if I close the tif file it tells me it has been processed and that will be lost - again even though I have already applied the histogram.

Also, histogram is only onew thing you do, what about saving jpegs after other functions? Surely I don't need to go back to the histogram every time I wish toi save what is on my screen (after all I may not wish to change the histogram after every operation).

I have wasted hours today saving out linear images

Chris
Old 17-08-2011, 04:46 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Chris,

Have you made sure you've turned off STF to see what you've actually got before you save it? Right click on the image > Screen Transfer Functions > Reset STF. If the image is dark then it hasn't been stretched enough and if you save it as a jpg it will look the same.

I've had no issues with this. Sounds like you're not stretching the linear image enough (or maybe at all?)

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 17-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

+1 to what Rick said.

Your auto screen stretch is likely enabled -- untick the A in the ScreenTransferFunction.

H
Old 17-08-2011, 05:17 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

yep, that did it - thanks. I'll chalk that whole day up to experience then since I now have no results to show for it:~
Old 17-08-2011, 05:32 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

On that subject though, when I do anything in Pixinsignt (DBE, NR, Wave histogram etc) do I have to make sure that before I use the tool I turn STF off first?
Old 17-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

If you're using the preview modes in the functions, then, rely on the preview to get what you're after.

Untick ScreenTransferFunction before you apply your change.

At least I think that makes sense.

H
Old 17-08-2011, 05:56 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
On that subject though, when I do anything in Pixinsignt (DBE, NR, Wave histogram etc) do I have to make sure that before I use the tool I turn STF off first?
Leave STF on while you are working with a linear image. Once you stretch the image, turn it off and leave it off.
Old 17-08-2011, 09:43 PM
cfranks (Charles)

You shouldn't need to shut down STF since it only affects the screen display. It has no effect on the data. Of course, saving a linear image as a jpeg will get a few warnings about data loss and the jpeg will be black.

Charles
Old 17-08-2011, 09:59 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

If you don't turn off STF when you stretch you'll be looking at a bunch of all white images on the screen.
Old 18-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Harryianpage

Hi

As said just use the STF when your images are linear ( unstretched ) I turn STF off as soon as I start to carry out a permanent stretch

Don't worry loads of people have done this

Somw tools like HDR wavlets and ACNR will only work when your image is permantley stretched therefore long after the STF will have been used

Regards Harry
Old 18-08-2011, 08:15 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Thanks all for your replies. I have this sorted now. It is actually totally logical when you stoop to think about it, which means I didn't!

Harry, I would say though that it isn't made all that obvious in the tutorial videos that turning off STF before performing stretching and other functions is required.

I am absolutely loving Pixinsight and don't know how I managed with Iris for so long. I love the object-oriented nature of the program, along with its powerful (and actually easy to experiment with functions). I would have preferred the tutorial videos though to have been with a more common subject amongst imagers, by which I mean many will be using Pixinsight fir the first time with a basic M8, M20, M16 type of subject. I don't find that all the things shown in the videos work quite the same, or as easily with a nebula and a field teeming with stars of all magnitudes and colours. I am still a beginner at Pixinsight though and I haven't looked at all the help/videos available.

Chris
Old 18-08-2011, 05:41 PM
netwolf

Chris, another good feature of PI, which you migh note from Harry's video is you can actually save your custom "Instances" of a Process.

For example once you apply say DBE to your image, you can actually drag the triangel in the bottom left corner of the DBE Process window and drop it on the Desktop. This will create an Instance of that Process with the parameters you have set. You can relabel this say as Step one.

Do this for all your steps along the way then you can always step back and tweak something instead of having to go right to the bgining and start again. You can also Sellect All the Process's in the desktop and save them to XML file and load them again later.

One other tip is to keep your Linear image in 32bit FITS format untill you are ready to publish it. I would also reccomend saving the Fits file after each process and apeending _X to the end of the file name. The X to specify what process was applied. This way I can go back and look at a list of files and see where I was up to. for example M8_DBE_CC_ACDNR etc etc. You do end up with a lot of files but I fing it makes it easy to step back and reprocess.

There is a Video from Harry "Image and Process Containers" containers that will help you get more efficencies by applie process in batch to multiple images.

I agree with you I would love to see more tutorials using Nebulae images. My first was M8 and somethings from the videos did not apply, but Harry does give some tips on it in the Voice over.
Old 18-08-2011, 10:06 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Thanks 'netwolf' (Shahim?),

That will be most useful. The raw data came from a Canon (CR2 files) and DSS produced Tiff files which I take into Pix. I did save the tiff file under a new name after each operation so I could return to that point, but are you saying even doing that the non of the metadata is saved with the tiff so each saved tiff is actually no different to the previous one?

In any event, in future I shall do as you say.

Notwithstanding the time wasted I love this program more and more. Very well thought out in my view.

Chris
PS what exactly is deringing? When I try to use it I just get centred 'black eyes' in my stars.
Old 19-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Harryianpage

Hi
I did try and say when I was using the STF and when I was not (Look out for Linear( unstretched ) and non linear ( stretched )

But If I have not made it clear enough I appolagise and will put a note at the start of the histogram vid

Regards Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
Thanks all for your replies. I have this sorted now. It is actually totally logical when you stoop to think about it, which means I didn't!

Harry, I would say though that it isn't made all that obvious in the tutorial videos that turning off STF before performing stretching and other functions is required.

I am absolutely loving Pixinsight and don't know how I managed with Iris for so long. I love the object-oriented nature of the program, along with its powerful (and actually easy to experiment with functions). I would have preferred the tutorial videos though to have been with a more common subject amongst imagers, by which I mean many will be using Pixinsight fir the first time with a basic M8, M20, M16 type of subject. I don't find that all the things shown in the videos work quite the same, or as easily with a nebula and a field teeming with stars of all magnitudes and colours. I am still a beginner at Pixinsight though and I haven't looked at all the help/videos available.

Chris
Old 19-08-2011, 02:47 AM
Harryianpage

Hi

Another new feature in Pixinsight is the " save project feature" which means you can save your work at any time

this feature save all the processes that you have carried out during the process so you can revisit any stage you like any time

Harry

BTW if any one wants to volunteer a image I am sure a quick demo could be done , I presume a nebula is what is required