Old 13-03-2016, 02:35 PM
blink138 (Pat)

qhy10 help please

hello members i am having a frustrating time with my qhy10
i have connected it all up inside my house after i did not seem to get an image attached to my scope a couple of nights ago
i have taken the front cap off and tried some exposures and after download shows the normal black screen?
it is showing capture and download at the bottom of my nebulosity screen but seems not to be saturating the sensor at all
any ideas?
pat
Old 13-03-2016, 06:58 PM
billdan (Bill)

I would try it with the QHY EZCAP program, just to make sure its not a Nebulosity or ASCOM issue.

If it fails in EZCAP, suggest swapping out the USB cable, or its an email to Dr Qui.

Regards
Bill

EDIT: I just read you also had an issue with the TEC cable, this will also cause a blank screen if it's not seated correctly. Try giving the TEC socket a spray with WD40, it may get a better connection.

Last edited by billdan; 13-03-2016 at 07:11 PM. Reason: More info
Old 14-03-2016, 10:22 AM
blink138 (Pat)

thanks bill it was the same in ezcap so i am sure now it is a cable issue
pat
Old 15-03-2016, 12:57 AM
byronpaul (Paul)

Pat,

What does your histogram say?

Does a Light, Dark, Bias and Flat give different values?

Asking the obvious, but it's not a screen stretching issue?

Paul
Old 21-03-2016, 06:46 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Hi Pat, I second what Paul said, check the pixel values. Do you have a screenshot? I had a dodgy USB cable with my QHY10 at one stage which gave me funny images.

Have you checked your gain and offset settings? That can mess things up too.

Erik
Old 22-03-2016, 02:16 PM
blink138 (Pat)

oops sorry paul and erik just seen your replies
i set up my rig again to see what was happening and it is deffinately the 9 pin power cable, it is all sloppy and loose and there seems to be a fair bit of lateral movement and the image disappears from the screen
i do not know whether or not to take the back plate off (not the chamber of course) and have a look at the socket or send it to qhy, or if it is just needs a new cable?
the other terminal and socket fits so securely it is hard to disconnect but the 9 pin is ****house for some reason!
pat
Old 23-03-2016, 02:43 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink138 View Post
oops sorry paul and erik just seen your replies
i set up my rig again to see what was happening and it is deffinately the 9 pin power cable, it is all sloppy and loose and there seems to be a fair bit of lateral movement and the image disappears from the screen
i do not know whether or not to take the back plate off (not the chamber of course) and have a look at the socket or send it to qhy, or if it is just needs a new cable?
the other terminal and socket fits so securely it is hard to disconnect but the 9 pin is ****house for some reason!
pat
Hi Pat,
you're not alone in having this problem. When I checked my cable recently, I found that one of the pins had broken off one end of the cable. I was getting image artifacts and generally erratic behavior and that's what prompted the inspection.

Since my QHY10 was then only 7 pr 8 months old and had done no work for the past 6 of those months (because of the lousy weather), I contacted the Australian seller and suggested this was a warranty issue. He disagreed, saying there must have been improper use of the cable and this produced bending and breaking of the pin - and that in any case, QHY would be very unlikely to accept it as a warranty issue - even if you were willing to waste the time an cost involved. He told me he had had this issue before with the same result.

So I was between a rock and a hard place - as I am guessing you will be - and forked up the $40 cost of a new cable.

In doing so grudgingly, I told the seller I thought this would come under our Sale of Goods legislation under the "fitness - for - purpose " provisions because this was a defect in materials or workmanship. Needless to say, he didn't agree.

But the number of people with exactly this same problem suggests to me that QHY have a quality control issue with these cable and ought to fix defective cables under warranty instead of instantly accusing the user of having misused or abused the product.

I have vowed that this is the last QHY product I will buy.

Peter
Old 23-03-2016, 10:43 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

You've got to push harder if you want service.
But is it worth it for 40 dollars?
I guess poor publicity will mean everyone will check their cables on arrival and send them straight back if they are in any way defective.
When you pay so much for the camera,you'd think they would ensure good peripherals
Old 23-03-2016, 06:22 PM
blink138 (Pat)

peter i tried the other end of the cable to see if for some reason it was any tighter but it wasn't, so i managed to lift the lip up a little on the male housing and it seemed to be firmer and it was "imaging" in my lounge when i tested it, so i am glad i have not broken anything with all the bloody wiggling of the cable!
perhaps it needs those screws that you get on computer cables either side of the housing? anyhow i think it is far from an adequate design!