Old 09-01-2011, 04:31 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Cambridge Double Star Atlas

I recently purchased this atlas, as I was interested in doing the odd bit of double star observing especially with the rotten weather ovcer the last 6 months, the only clear nights seemed to be around the full moon so needed something to look at!
This is a brilliant atlas all by itself even if you have no interest in double/multiple star observing. Lots of other objects are plotted and the layout is exceptional. If you are looking at a good basic atlas it is well worth considering.

Malcolm
Old 09-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Gas Giant (Andrew)

I'm also interested in double star observing. Working at a university, I have had the Cambridge Atlas borrowed from the science library and have been impressed with it enough to also order myself a copy via Amazon. It should be here soon.

The weather where I live for the past few weeks, however, has prevented any type of observing. Shouldn't complain, though, at least it's not flooding!

Cheers
Andrew
Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

Can I add my plaudits to this fine book. I agree that it is not only wonderful for double stars, but it also provides an excellent all-round Atlas of the Sky.

I also have the Cambridge Star Atlas, and what sets this apart in some respects is that you can follow the connecting star map with the aid of indicators at the edges as to what page you should turn to. Unfortunately the Cambridge star atlas does not have this feature, meaning you have to do a lot of flicking between pages to work out where to turn next.

Although I have the Uranometria, I find that for backyard observing in suburbia, the Cambridge Double Star Atlas is far more realistic in terms of providing potential targets. A huge thumbs up from me!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Good to know I am not the only one. What I ahve found is that it gives a guide to object that are good targets for an average scope like my 12" in light polluted sky. I use it to select targets and get me in the area, then consult Uranomtria to hone in on them. Uranometria is fantastic, but it has probably 95% of its objects are not reachable except when I can get to a dark sky site, and even then would need a much bigger scope.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Robh (Rob)

Great atlas. As mentioned, the Cambridge Double Star Atlas is not only great for double stars but also other deep sky objects. It has the "standard" Wil Tirion stick figures for constellations, which makes star recognition that much easier. I like that it is spiral bound and will stay open on the page. If used outside, you will need to cover it with a plastic sheet to prevent saturation from dew.

Regards, Rob
Old 27-08-2012, 01:34 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

I received a copy of The Cambridge Double Star Atlas in the mail last week.
Here is a list of the Showpiece Double Stars.
http://www.munisingwebsites.com/look...ullaney133.pdf
Has anyone seen a list of the 900 DSO in this atlas?