Old 06-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Adam78

Hi everyone!

Hi all, just a quick post to say hello and how much I am looking forward to getting back to exploring the night sky, and this time around, photographing it as well

I havent had a scope for quite a few years, but very excited now as I have just fairly recently discovered that results that cost many $000's in the '90s are so much more accessible today - cant wait!

I've learned so much from reading the beginners equipment forums here and have now decided on my new kit - thanks so much to all that have contributed with their advice!

Cheers, and hope to have some photos up in the not too distant future

Adam
Old 06-12-2017, 07:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Welcome Adam.
Great to have you here.
What equipment do you have in mind.
Alex
Old 06-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Adam78

Hi Alex,

I've decided on the SkyWatcher Black Diamond 80mm doublet on a HEQ5 with GOTO. After all of my recent reading, it seems like a good balance between not too steep a learning curve in astrophotograpy and something that is still going to be enjoyable for viewing.

I havent comitted to the prchase just yet, so would love to hear anyone's input (although this setup is pretty much at the upper end of the budget!)
Old 06-12-2017, 08:42 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Excellent choice but I do like the triplet.
I plan to get an eq 5 and the triplet and avoid going narrow band.
Anyways like most of us in a couple of years you end up with a collection of scopes and bits and pieces.
Good luck and post some stuff.
Something interesting happen or hear interesting news post it in general chat particularly if its cloudy.
Alex
Old 06-12-2017, 10:41 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Hi Adam ,perfect choice for what you are wanting to do IMO ,you could get the scope and even buy a manual mount very reasonably priced used so at least you can do a bit of visual and save up the coin for the Go-To mount ,i have the ED80 on a AYO travelier head with a Stellarvue surveyors tripod a few ep's etc and it's enough for me ,i did upgrade the focuser but it was well worth doing even though i'm only a visual observer and TBH for astrophotography you will have to do that ,there is plenty of people on iis that you can go to for advice far more knowledgeable than myself i can only advise you on what has really made me enjoy this hobby ,a very versatile scope

All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam78 View Post
Hi Alex,

I've decided on the SkyWatcher Black Diamond 80mm doublet on a HEQ5 with GOTO. After all of my recent reading, it seems like a good balance between not too steep a learning curve in astrophotograpy and something that is still going to be enjoyable for viewing.

I havent comitted to the prchase just yet, so would love to hear anyone's input (although this setup is pretty much at the upper end of the budget!)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Premordial (Max)
Pale green dot

Hey Adam, I've been using a SW ED80 on an AZEQ6 mount for the last few years for visual and imaging. Super happy with the combo.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Welcome here at IIS Adam .Good thinking on that outfit..lots of similar refractors for sale in the classifieds at bargain prices .
Cheers bigjoe

Last edited by bigjoe; 06-12-2017 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Add