Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-11-2014, 07:32 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Abu Dhabi F1 GP

I cant get over the bias of most of the so called pundits in favour of Nico Rosberg.
They keep saying Hamilton is under the pump,is fragile and Nico is the better racer.
Results tell a different tale Hamilton 10 wins to Rosberg 5
The only other winner in this Championship is Danial Ricciardo with 3.
If you take the DNF's that Hamilton had 2 were not his fault, one he was punted out by Rosberg, but still the pundits keep saying Hamilton is fragile.
They never mention the cock ups and being outsmarted by Hamilton on a few occasions. here is a BBC article by a respected ex formula one and Le Mans driver Alan McNish.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/30002887
They all seem to think Nico Rosberg is Mr Cool and doesn't make mistakes, BS that's why he has only won five races to Lewis's 10.
So what he won Brazil, the first one he has won since July at Spa in Belgium
I just hope Hamilton wins and sticks it right up them
Go Lewis.
Cheers

Last edited by astroron; 14-11-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 14-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Kunama

I no longer get that serious about the F1 racing Ron ......

Personally I think that Daniel Ricciardo in a Mercedes would be a speck on the horizon ahead of both Nico and Lewis were he given a chance in the cockpit of one.
Old 14-11-2014, 09:37 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

I have found the changes this year have really limited my enjoyment of F1 although it is nice to see a championship go down to the wire for once and I do relish the prospect of Rosberg winning it via the ridiculous double points rule change, if nothing else it will be a laugh and may force them to reconsider double points next year.

Hopefully they sort out all these teams heading into bankruptcy, even up the field and funding and generally sort the sport out somewhat.
Add a bit more noise to these sad cars too.

Formula Es second race in a week, that should be interesting.
Old 15-11-2014, 12:26 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Add a bit more noise to these sad cars too.
We should go back to the horse and cart going round the bitumen track and hear the clip clop horse power.
There are other forms of open wheeler racing that use V8 engines if that's what all Formula one means to you
I noted that after a few races,no one of the commentators even mentioned the noise of the engines.
The engines in f1 are more to do with modern and future road going cars.
IMHO V8 are old technology,that they make a lot of noise is yesterdays world, quiet cars are going to be the norm not the exception.
Formula one means to me innovation, driving skill strategy and most of all
entertainment.
That the last part is a bit lacking is more to do with Bernie messing about with the rules and trying to second guess things by adding the double points after a few races into the season.
Cheers
PS it has already been said that this year will be a one off for double points.
Old 15-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

I too agree that the entertainment is missing- the engines "power units? Oh Please!" Are high tech but sound boring.

Sound is a HUGE part of MOTORsport. If you've ever been to a Nascar race then you'll agree that the yanks have the entertainment package right for the paying spectators.

Not suggesting F1 becomes Open wheeler Nascar, but Bernie just needs to look at the full capacity grandstands in the USA to realize what people want.

I love F1, have done so since 1973. But these cars are now dull & boring. Bring back the Beryllium v10 McLarens!
Old 15-11-2014, 09:15 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Andy
Quote:
If you've ever been to a Nascar race then you'll agree that the yanks have the entertainment package right for the paying spectators.
I think part of it is they also have "constant" wheel to wheel racing with lots of overtaking, all done at high speed, and nearly all the track visible at the same time. Part of it is also boring until you realise they are packed 3 wide and nose to tail at 300kph.
Ie imagine say 12 V8s coming down conrod straight into the chase 3 wide and with 3 feet between the rows

I understand F1 is more about pushing the technical boundaries, but the "racing" is severely lacking these days, and the lower tier competitors appear to be getting priced out pretty quickly.
Give em mechanical clutches, throttles and brakes, and see how they go.

Andrew
Old 18-11-2014, 03:36 PM
HCR32 (Peter)

They like Nico more because he is more of a developer then racer even though he does show good race results. Lewis shows up and races on the day compared to Nico. Plus Nico speaks the native language, what a bonus for them when it comes to local advertising.
Old 19-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Noise wise, the turbo cars of the 80's & 90's were absolutely deafening, I remember going to Adelaide on one occasion had all the ear protection, and my ears were still ringing days later
Old 19-11-2014, 07:23 PM
torana68 (Roger)

noise has been part of racing since the first race, road cars have to be quiet but try watching NASCAR (or the Oz version) or the monster trucks or top fuel drags with quiet exhausts, they wouldnt last long. Some years back they had a problem with the Formula Holden series, the sound wasnt "right" and a lot of exhausts were tried till something good was found. So at least some promoters understand.
F1 shouldnt be looked on as a pinnacle (although only the top end of drivers go there), its a business, they dont listen to anything but the sound of $$$$ rolling in, hence they current issue with companies going bust due to greed by the ownership of the F1 business. They will change as they realise they are going to loose $$$ until they get more cars on the track, they may look at the noise issue if they can see more $$$ in it for them. Yes technology does filter back but thats because the companies involved can see some sort of opportunity to sell cars or improve things. At least they get some of the cost of F1 back by using new found tech. on their road cars, its probably a minute return. I dont hate it, I watch it, but I do not like the politics and constant rule changing and bickering.
Old 20-11-2014, 01:36 AM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Some good points from Mark here.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/11/...is-not-racing/

And on a positive note.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...d-induced-coma

Last edited by JB80; 20-11-2014 at 07:12 AM.