Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Darren (Darren Miller)

Help with DSLR Image Processing

Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping someone can help me with a DSLR Image Processing problem.
I'm imaging with Canon DSLR's - 550D and 50D - but when it comes to stacking and aligning I'm having problems.
When I try to process images of the Moon or Sun with Registax 5 or Registax 6 both programs crash or I get Out of Memory Errors.
I have also tried to use Deep Sky Stacker, but it only ever wants to use 1 single image/frame regardless of the Star Detection Threshold I set.
Registax works perfectly for my webcam imaging, and Deep Sky Stacker works perfectly for my Widefield or Deep Sky images, its just Solar/Lunar images that are causing me problems.
I am working on two computers, HP Desktop with Intel Core i3 8GB RAM 512MB Graphics and HP Laptop Core i7 8GB RAM 1GB Graphics.
Do I need more RAM or do I need different software?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Darren
Old 07-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Poita (Peter)

No, you don't need more RAM, but PCs are a bit of a pain though when it comes to analysing the problem.

As an exercise, try downloading Nebulosity and see if you get the same issues.

It is free to try out, and will help suss wether it is specific program issues or other OS stuff.

http://www.stark-labs.com/nebulosity.html
Old 07-04-2012, 06:13 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

I've found for solar and lunar video work avistack (also free) is a bit better than registax for the stacking bit, but I use registax for the wavelet enhancement part. Are you using video for the solar/lunar or stills?
cheers,
Andrew
Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 PM
danielsun
Canon collector

Your desktop and laptop are fine. I have never been able to get Registax and Deepsky stacker to work properly so I use Images plus for stacking and it works nicely.you can also process with images plus but I usually take it to PS
Old 07-04-2012, 09:11 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

The Canon 550d raw files are notoriously bad when working with DSS. You will need to download the latest Beta version for them to stack correctly.
Download is here.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DeepSkyStacker/
Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Darren (Darren Miller)

Thank you for the advice Greatly appreciated

I have also been reading the thread - Registax Help - which has been a help too.

I tried Deep Sky Stacker Beta - working 'better' with the Canon 550D stills, but still No Stars Found and thus no alignment, but at least a Full image with Solar/Lunar Imaging.

I tried Autostakker V2 though I misread the instructions and it wont open JPEGS or RAW, as I understand.

Currently trying AVIStack - I need to read the manual/tutorial!

Now for more questions:

I am only trying to process Solar/Lunar still images

Q#1 - What is the best/Lossless program to convert JPEG or RAW to BMP

Regarding Video/Movies

Q#2 - What is the best/Lossless program to convert Canon MOV to Usable stills for processing?

Once again, Thank You for all the help and advice

Kind Regards,
Darren
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 AM
luigi

Hi,

If you are shooting video I recommend using Avidemux to convert the video to Avi, then Castrator to reduce it and finally Autostakkert2 to stack. You can do the final processing in Registax, Photoshop or whatever.
Avidemux, Castrator and Autostakket are free.
Avidemux will let you export a section of your video as individual frames in case you want to do that (not needed)

If you are shooting photos (not video) and you want to align & stack then for the moon the best solution I found is to use a panorama software, I use PtGUI I choose to align and output as individual layers (registered) and then just load all the frames in Photoshop and average them. There are other methods too.

Hope my 2 cents help.
I stack moons often suns from time to time in both video and photos from a 550D or a 5DII so if you need some extra help feel free to email me. We'll work it until you find your best workflow.
Old 21-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Parag

HI LUIGI

Greetings from India.

I am new to Solar Imaging in white light. I am using WO81 GT with Herschel Wedge from Baader and a Canon 550D camera.
I am looking for a tutorial for Solar disc and proms processing after taking a video using Canon 550D.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thank you

Parag Mahajani
Pune, India
Old 21-12-2014, 12:20 AM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsun View Post
Your desktop and laptop are fine. I have never been able to get Registax and Deepsky stacker to work properly so I use Images plus for stacking and it works nicely.you can also process with images plus but I usually take it to PS

I find Deep Sky Stacker is excellent for stacking anything with stars in it.

It is however fussy on the type of file e.g.

you can save files from Fitswork4 - in any format you like - 16 bit or 32 bit - double them in size etc
& DSS just makes a mess of them - you get bars & lines etc..

I know it's good with TIFF files & QHY9 FITS files + Canon EOS 1000d raw files.

cheers
Allan