Old 25-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

EOS Full Spectrum Camera

Can an EOS camera that has been modified for full spectrum be used for regular Astrophotography or does it need the UV/IR cutoff filter to be installed?
Old 26-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Phil Hart

if you're using lenses or refractors, you will generally need some kind of UV/IR cutoff filter otherwise you get very bloated stars (since they are not corrected for those extreme wavelengths).

if using a reflector (even with a correcting lens assembly) you can usually get away without one.

at least that's been my experience. my modded 40D and the 20D (when I had one) both had the clear rear filter and i definitely needed a UV/IR blocking filter for widefield work with camera lenses but pretty sure i've taken shots without one when using the epsilon astrograph.

Phil
Old 27-08-2010, 10:10 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

From most of the threads I have seen so far I intend to place a clear filter on mine and add filters as required. There always seems to be a range filters (Clip-in or 2") available unless someone can say there is a filter not available.
Old 27-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphart View Post
if you're using lenses or refractors, you will generally need some kind of UV/IR cutoff filter otherwise you get very bloated stars (since they are not corrected for those extreme wavelengths).

Phil
Dang ...I should have thought it through a bit better. Thanks Phil.

On another subject I spied an Epsilon 200 on Astromart classifieds for a killer price...but I have enough scopes as it is...double dang orrrrrrrrrr..maybe I could sell my FS78 to fund the purchase of the Epsilon.

Last edited by Hans Tucker; 27-08-2010 at 09:47 PM.