Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 PM
kon1966 (Kon)

Autoguiding eq5 with synscan upgrade.

I have a eq5 with the synscan upgrade kit. The main unit has a autoguider port. I can control synscan unit with cartes v3 and also winstars v2 to slew with the provided cable via a usb to serial converter. What is the correct way to autoguide using the autoguider port. I have loaded ascom v5 and the celestron driver package from ascom site since synscan manual says to pick celestron telescope. Also want to try PHD and Guidedog. I will use a webcam first to get the nack of autoguiding and then buy a dedicated guide camera.

Regards
Kon
Old 09-06-2008, 04:52 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Hi Kon
I have the same mount and I autoguide successfully with PHD, a Phillips Toucam and a Shoestring Astronomy GPUSB interface...
http://www.store.shoestringastronomy...roducts_gp.htm

Under the PHD "Mount" menu, I choose GPUSB and all works perfectly - no need for ascom drivers.

Doug
Old 09-06-2008, 06:00 PM
kon1966 (Kon)

Doug,
so basically I need to buy a gpusb unit to complete the setup. Do they sell them in AUS or do I need to order from USA.

Putting it together you have the...
  1. guidescope camera into one usb port
  2. GPUSB is connected to second usb port and
  3. GPUSB connected to the autoguider port of synscan main unit.
  4. use phd software.
Regards
Kon
Old 09-06-2008, 06:23 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon1966 View Post
Doug,
so basically I need to buy a gpusb unit to complete the setup. Do they sell them in AUS or do I need to order from USA.

Putting it together you have the...
  1. guidescope camera into one usb port
  2. GPUSB is connected to second usb port and
  3. GPUSB connected to the autoguider port of synscan main unit.
  4. use phd software.
Regards
Kon
100% correct Kon.
I managed to get a 2nd hand unit in Oz. Perhaps try a wanted ad first off before purchasing a unit from overseas!
The cable connecting the GPUSB unit to the mount autoguide port has a specific wiring pattern so it's a good idea to purchase a cable of suitable length from Shoestring.
Doug
Old 09-06-2008, 06:25 PM
kon1966 (Kon)

Thanks for your advice, I will try and find one.

Regards
Kon
Old 10-06-2008, 12:43 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Hi Kon,

You can also switch to EQMOD and use Pulse Guiding option built in it.
In this case you won't need Syscan controller at all because using EQDIR interface from shoestring you can get a better control for your mount thorough CDC and EQMOD software.
Also you can control and autoguide your mount wirelessly if you don't mind spending extra $125 on aircable serial3x bluetooth adapter and bluetooth dongle(if you ps does not have it built in). In this case you won't need to have GPUSB and use usb to serial connecter and autoguide port. All guiding and control commands will go via a virtual serial port created by bluetooth connection.

cheers,

Mike
Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 PM
PeterO

I have been wondering about this myself, why would it not be possible to guide (assuming an updated hand controller) from say guidedog/phd using ascom like is now being done on the heq6 with the eq6 mod? or am I missing something here.

peter
Old 10-06-2008, 02:56 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Peter,

you can certainly guide eq5/eq6 using ascom but I believe you must use ascom driver for EQMOD. EQMOD software supports Pulse Guiding and thus it will send guiding commands without using ST-4 port.

I'm not sure if you can use EQMOD through a hand controller and PC Direct Mode but if it's possible I cannot see any problems why autoguiding through ASCOM EQMOD driver in this case won't work.

Anyway I can confirm that if you remove a hand controller and use EQDIR interface attached directly to a mount everything including guiding works fine. I am using this method with PHD for the last four times I went outside with my setup and I have nothing to complain about.

It may sound strange that I am using this method considering that I have QHY5 with ST-4 port but for people who has guide cameras without ST-4 port it can be a better option. It eliminates extra cable run from their PC to an autoguide port. Actually that was the main reason why I stopped using ST-4 port on both mount and guiding camera.

cheers,

Mike

Last edited by ozstockman; 10-06-2008 at 03:59 PM.