Old 27-06-2020, 11:56 AM
leee (Thomas)

Advice

As I am new to the "hobby" of astronomy gazing. I am seeking advice about this scope
Astronomers Without Borders The OneSky telescope from Astronomers Without Borders ...
Yea or Nay ? I guess it is a Celestron 5.3 inch A better option ? Remembering - I am total "newbe" .
I know Alex. More Stuff - but you have to agree, this might be "the Right Stuff"
Old 27-06-2020, 12:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leee View Post
As I am new to the "hobby" of astronomy gazing. I am seeking advice about this scope
Astronomers Without Borders The OneSky telescope from Astronomers Without Borders ...
Yea or Nay ? I guess it is a Celestron 5.3 inch A better option ? Remembering - I am total "newbe" .
I know Alex. More Stuff - but you have to agree, this might be "the Right Stuff"
I could not find a price.
I would not mind betting that a 6 inch GSO Newtonian on a Dobsonian mount may be cheaper, .certainly better...I expect the scope you mention will have issues with dew being open tube.... but it does not matter it won't be your last. Personally I would bite the bullet and go for a 8 inch Newtonian f5 on a Dobsonian mount as I expect you won't need another. GSO are excellent for the money ..check out prices over there but I expect they would be around five hundred...If you are thinking to do photos..which almost certain, even if you say now not interested..you almost certainly will...you will go for a eight inch f5 tube and get a HEQ 5 equatorial mount and with your dslr camera you will get excellent photos... if you get an equatorial mount you can set up to display stuff on your lap top..also they have a goto feature which means there is no problem finding objects ..a small point but why not take advantage of such wonderful technology..if you use Sharpcap..free image acquisition ssoftware it stacks live to your lap top so what may appear dim through the eyepiece is a very respectable image on screen...I think its one of those things where spending perhaps more than you expected will not be money wasted...Think of it this way..one wants to start with a microscope..you would no doubt say forget the $100 unit from Walmart and spend a few more dollars and get something that you can really use.
Its really is not difficult and although it may seem daunting now you will mange with few problems...I just think a small scope you will out grow and also you may find it disappointing...
I started with a four inch, then a 6 inch then an eight inch and I just wish I had gone for an eight inch first up...you will actually save money buying now that which you will end up with..including a heq5 goto mount...
It's not that much money...probably a take away coffee each day for a year.
You know I would not steer you wrong.
Alex
Old 27-06-2020, 01:26 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Lee, I agree with Alex's remarks in his post but if your cicumstances demand something very portable or cheaper to start with I highly recommend the"Astronomy without borders" scope. I have the same scope (Sywatcher Heritage 130) that I use as a grab and go and for the price you won't beat it. It is very well made and doesn't "feel" cheap and has excellent optics. Can be put way in a small cupboard and then out and setup literally in seconds. Holds its collimation very well. I really like it and have it on a Vixen porta mount. (The scope has a dovetail so it can be mounted easily on other mounts) There is nothing wrong with the dobsonian mount it comes with though. It is pretty nice to use and I have another small scope on it. The only small gripe is the helical focuser but it really isn't too bad at all and now I'm used to it I don't mind it. Have a look on the net and you will find many top reviews and you will struggle to find one bad one. Lots of folk make their own shroud to stop stray light and there are plenty of different ways that people do this on the net. So if you can get something bigger, well I'm all for that but I don't think you will be disappointed with this little beauty. If you do get something bigger later I guarantee you will still use this scope. Hope that helps.
Cheers, Richard
Old 27-06-2020, 01:42 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200604_154155_copy_819x614.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	261137
Picture added for you Lee
Old 27-06-2020, 09:49 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hi Thomas,

Can I ask specifically what attracts you to this particular scope? It's size, portability?

I was going to comment that it was US delivery only.. then I noticed where you are.. so, that's not an issue...

I see it's made by Celestron.. which probably means it's pretty much identical to the SW version... which as another member has commented, is a pretty good set of optics...

If you can stretch a few more dollars, a SkyWatcher 6" dobsonian is within your grasp... but, perhaps you are put off by it's size... it's definitely bigger & heavier than the little 5" you have posted about...

Another scope worth looking at closely is the Vixen R130SF... a little more expensive & you would need to look at purchasing a mount for it. However, I can personally comment that they are a phenomenal little scope.. I purchased one secondhand & I have been incredibly impressed by the quality of it's optics...

You will see from my signature that I own a number of scopes, some of them are 'premium' & priced accordingly... however, if I was forced to sell all my scopes & only keep one.. I honestly think it would be the Vixen... it's not my 'best' scope but, it's arguably my most versatile...

I have used it for astrophotography, visual & one of the 'wow' moments was observing the moon with a 2.5mm eyepiece & being absolutely blown away by the quality of the views, sharp as a tack & simply mind blowing...

Can't comment on the Celestron or SW 5" but, don't let anyone convince you that a 5" can't deliver on views... it absolutely can so, if the scope you have mentioned ticks all your boxes better than anything else you've looked at then, go for it.. if the optics are good, you won't be disappointed...

That is, until you look through a bigger one...
Old 28-06-2020, 08:10 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Hi Lee, a few questions for you - what do you want to look at, the planets or Deep Space Objects (DSO)? Are you in a dark(ish) site or willing to travel to one? Are you interested in astrophotography? The answers to these questions will help provide better advice.

Andrew