Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-06-2020, 07:47 PM
PhilTas (Phil)

Is there anyone in the Top End with a solar scope?

Hi All,

Would there be any Lunt or Coronado owners around Darwin or the Top End?

And if so, would you be prepared to let me try your blocking filter in my scope?

I have a Lunt 60mm presure-tuned solar scope, which shows a nice sharp orange disc, but no detail whatsoever.

I have replaced the orings, and re-greased the pressure tuner piston - no joy.

There are several threads on IIS, CN, and SGL, all of which talk about haziness or deterioration of the blue IRT filter (in the scope side of the Blocking Filter diagonal).

The blue filter in my BF is as clean as, with no haziness at all. I have cleaned it, but it made no difference to the lack of performance.

Another IIS member has the same issue, and has been in touch with Lunt, who suspects an issue with the red filter (on the eyepiece side of the BF). Fixing this however requires sending the BF back to Lunt.
This member also has a Coronado, and on advice from Lunt has tried it's BF40 in the Lunt scope. The BF40 in the Lunt gives a phenomonal improvement, with excellent detailed views. Be warned that it is not safe to try the Lunt BF in the Coronado scope.

So I am hoping that I might be able to try the same exercise to prove that the scope's etalon is ok, and that the problem is in the Blocking Filter.

Am waiting with hope and anticipation.

Cheers Phil