Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

Camera Choice DSLR or CCD imager.

I am at a crossroads right now. I have everything else ordered and paid for or already own to get into astrophotography apart from the camera. I was looking at getting Canon 60D (or maybe even just the 600D) but now I am thinking maybe I should just get a CCD imager. I keep hearing the QHY8 is a good one (or whatever the latest version is). I also see the Orion Starshoot Pro V2 is not too bad either. I'm keen on doing deep sky imaging, so what can people recommend. I have a SPC900 on order so i'll just use that for planetary stuff. Budget will be up to $1500.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Poita (Peter)

I can send you a Canon 10D to play with for a month or two if you pay postage up and back.
It is an older camera, but you can see what DSLR imaging is like.
Personally I'd grab the QHY8 in that price range, but remember they need a beefy power supply etc. to run.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:35 PM
gregbradley

Always a hard choice. The DSLR is good for terrestial duty as well if it is unmodded.

If it is modded but with the clear optical glass option you can still use it for terrestial with a special filter. Last I used one its the Xnite CC1 filter. It works but is not as good as stock standard for terrestial.

Cooled one shot colour CCD though is far less noise and usually better star colours in images. It would have better sensitivity as well.
There are lots of QHY8 images posted so best to check them out verus modded 60D shots (that is a fairly new model and I haven't seen any on this site - perhaps on a dedicated DSLR yahoo group site).

Cooled mono requires filters and a filter wheel and more processing so perhaps too much too soon.

Greg.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

where do you buy the qhy8 from...i have looked and can't really find a supplier/prices
Old 05-10-2011, 05:38 PM
gregbradley

http://www.gamaelectronics.com.au/

Greg.